Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Christian morality is the morality of slaves. -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche Precisely. Virtually…"
9 hours ago
"Dear Joan!  Your mind is many things, but "simple is NOT one of them!  That's…"
9 hours ago
Richard Levison left a comment for Idalia Lopez
""Happy Birthday!""
10 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should…"
11 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I am way behind reading this string and I find it contains great jewels too precious to let go. I…"
12 hours ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Joan, many people have trouble reading Shakespeare, because they know that there are meanings and…"
13 hours ago
"Loren, your Bertrand Russell quote, including, "The infliction of cruelty with a good…"
13 hours ago
"Stephen, I generally do not read Shakespeare  because he is too complex for my simple…"
13 hours ago
"Loren, another strong statement, " It was during recovery from her (Ruth Hurmence…"
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Agreed. It's just a book, & I will not live my life according to a book."
13 hours ago
"No, Joan, anything I've found doesn't seem to fit."
13 hours ago
"Loren Miller on July 13, 2021 at 6:10am you wrote:  If you're going to dignify the claim…"
13 hours ago
"Mrs.B, I like your comment, "Prayers cannot correct what it couldn't prevent." I am…"
13 hours ago
"Loren, I agree,  Something which does not exist cannot help us, but chronic dependence on…"
14 hours ago
"Loren, "Faith doesn't care whether something is actually TRUE or not." That is…"
14 hours ago
"Grinning Cat, I love your comment about women and choice and the flowchart! Thanks!"
14 hours ago
"I liked it. To the point."
21 hours ago
"Most excellent, Mrs. B!"
22 hours ago
23 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Hail smashes through car windscreens & conservatory roofs amid 30c heatwave in extreme UK…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Deism in the philosophy of religion is the standpoint that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that a supreme being created the universe. Further the term often implies that this supreme being does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending to assert that God has a plan for the universe that is not to be altered by intervention in the affairs of human life. Deists believe in the existence of God without any reliance on revealed religion, religious authority or holy books. (Deism)

In some dictionaries I have found that that god they believe exists has abandoned its creation.

Anyway, how do you feel about deism and how do you think one can approach a deist and what arguments would you use? And, most of all, is it even worth it arguing with a deist?

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

No theology, no revelation, no holy books, I wonder where they got their information from.

But as it stands, without any supernatural intervention and magical effects or "personal" relation with you, this kind of god is even more useless than the theists'. Might as well think there is no god to the same effect.

Yes, this god is useless too, but I don't think people do so much harm in its name. So, I guess there is really no sense in trying to explain them that there is no god, unless it is someone close to you or you just like to argue a lot.
I have a few close friends like that, And I like to argue with them, they are unmistakenly the ones who will eventually change subject. Conceding to cognitive dissonnance is the toughest part to cross.
It has always seemed as if it is just a description of a scientist/engineer God. It would be the same as it sometime in the future we figure out how to make universes. The people who make the universe would be Deistic Gods according to your description but in reality they are just people who will eventually die and "abandon" their created universe from the perspective of any beings who eventually evolve in that universe.
Deism is for people who can't stand not having an explanation for the origin of the world, so "god did it and then left" is what they come up with. It was popular in Voltaire's time, not so much these days.

It should be more popular.

It's so convenient, it fills the ultimate gap and let's you be as materialistic as you want.

Yeah, I'm really amazed that people haven't taken more advantage out of it yet. I guess the lack of knowledge and the fact that most people just inherit their religion are two of the biggest reasons for that.

My mother is a Deist.  And I don't argue with her.  Not going to start now.  She is 80 and I am 56.  She really does not see the difference between her beliefs and my atheism.  Or won't see it.  She also has an affinity for Buddhism. 

She does not believe in Religion or Church. 

To be honest, I have no problem with people who are not into organized religion or church. I may not agree with their reasoning, but it is a pretty harmless belief. Especially in an 80 year old.
That's what I think as well. My only problem is with organized religion and its mindless zombie followers. It becomes an issue once one's beliefs start directly affecting others.
Well, now it's not really the time to argue, but it's not like you just met. Was she always a deist?

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service