Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Horrible stories, but it's right to investigate and note what's happened. But we knew…"
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Davy's group Cuisine L'Internationale
"Still mandatory here."
6 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Davy's group Cuisine L'Internationale
"Yes and I'm glad to notice when not actually eating many people are still wearing their masks,…"
6 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The RC the CofE and of course other churches have form when it comes to the treatment of native…"
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Davy's group Cuisine L'Internationale
"Sounds delightful, & after these past 2 years, well-deserved."
6 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Davy's group Cuisine L'Internationale
"              Great Deli meal. I and my friend and neighbour…"
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Yes, it's just beyond comprehension. Some of our neighbours were either in that school, or had…"
7 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The inhumanity of these people and institutions continues to appal me. How could this kind of…"
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"93 possible bodies 'reflected' in BC First Nation residential school investigation - My…"
10 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"In When Bad Things Happen to Good People, Harold Kushner described how his belief in an…"
11 hours ago
Terence Meaden commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Loren, your quotation is brilliant, and far superior to Penn Jillette's. "
22 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
""Once you've condoned faith in general, you've condoned any crazy shit done because…"
22 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"GC, I know Job: A Comedy of Justice well. I think to this day it should have been Heinlein's…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTM: So Predictable"
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Joan, you certainly don't need an ophthorectumy! (And happy unbirthday!) Now if only surgeons…"
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"It's an interesting side-note on the religions of the bible that, rather than trying to…"
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Is there anything more pathetic than an insecure deity? I think not!--Loren Miller Towards the end…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie replied to Loren Miller's discussion The Big Picture: How We Got Into This Mess, And How We Get Out of It (Robert Reich) in the group Coffee Break
"Our boy Bodger Boris has a new slogan to fool the poor and that is levelling up. It's just…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Davy It was promised that the moment the Warsaw Pact was dissolved NATO would do the same.…"
yesterday
Terence Meaden commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Here follow some apt quotes with regard to recent correspondence from the hundreds in my atheist…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Or not...Massive red flag: the scientist in question, Dr. Melba S. Ketchum of Nacogdoches, Texas, is making these big press release announcement before the study is peer-reviewed. Hmmm.. Why not have it peer-reviewed like any other serious scientific study? Hints: her story involves a hybrid mating between a Homo sapiens female and a previously unknown "male hominid", that occurred supposedly 15,000 years ago. the story involved blueberry bagels and angel DNA as well. I kid you not, my friends. 

There is an official press release from a DNA Diagnostics, Inc company, that I imagine carried out the sequencing analysis:

Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

‘BIGFOOT’ DNA SEQUENCED IN UPCOMING GENETICS STUDY

Five-Year Genome Study Yields Evidence of Homo sapiens/Unknown Hominin Hybrid Species in North America

Contact: Robin Lynne, media@dnadiagnostics.com, 231.622.5362

DALLAS, Nov. 24--A team of scientists can verify that their 5-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called “Bigfoot” or “Sasquatch,” living in North America. Researchers’ extensive DNA sequencing suggests that the legendary Sasquatch is a human relative that arose approximately 15,000 years ago as a hybrid cross of modern Homo sapiens with an unknown primate species.

The study was conducted by a team of experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology, led by Dr. Melba S. Ketchum of Nacogdoches, TX. In response to recent interest in the study, Dr. Ketchum can confirm that her team has sequenced 3 complete Sasquatch nuclear genomes and determined the species is a human hybrid:

“Our study has sequenced 20 whole mitochondrial genomes and utilized next generation sequencing to obtain 3 whole nuclear genomes from purported Sasquatch samples. The genome sequencing shows that Sasquatch mtDNA is identical to modern Homo sapiens, but Sasquatch nuDNA is a novel, unknown hominin related to Homo sapiens and other primate species. Our data indicate that the North American Sasquatch is a hybrid species, the result of males of an unknown hominin species crossing with female Homo sapiens.

Hominins are members of the taxonomic grouping Hominini, which includes all members of the genus Homo. Genetic testing has already ruled out Homo neanderthalis and the Denisova hominin as contributors to Sasquatch mtDNA or nuDNA. “The male progenitor that contributed the unknown sequence to this hybrid is unique as its DNA is more distantly removed from humans than other recently discovered hominins like the Denisovan individual,” explains Ketchum.

The rest can be read here, including Dr. Ketchum's appeals to the government to recognize Sasquatch as an indigenous people who deserve full constitutional rights.

Eric Berger critically analyzes the "study" in his blog, and humorously picks it apart. 

Like OMG! Scientists have sequenced Bigfoot DNA !!!!!!

Excerpts:

There are several significant issues with this. First is this line from the news release, “Full details of the study will be presented in the near future when the study manuscript publishes.”

That is a massive red flag. Real research scientists almost never pre-announce their research findings. That is, they don’t go public with big news until it has been vetted by peer reviewers and, at the very least, been accepted for publication. In this case Ketchum is stating a discovery as scientific fact before other scientists have studied her evidence. In effect she is using the mantle of science to confer credibility on her discovery, without actually deserving the credibility.

That’s a big no-no.

Ketchum, while indeed a scientist, does have credibility issues herself. Her company, DNA Diagnostics, gets an “F” from the Better Business Bureau, and has had more than two dozen complaints lodged against it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where do they get the DNA from?

Berger explains:

Some digging for this eventually led me to a blog post by Robert Lindsay discussing the source. Apparently the DNA comes from — I kid you not — blueberry bagel-loving Bigfeet in Michigan.

Ketchum’s spokesman seems to be Robin Lynne, a longtime Bigfoot habituator who lives in rural Michigan. She claims that there are up to 10 Bigfoots living around her property, and every day, she feeds them a variety of foods including Blueberry bagels, which they are particularly fond of. A lot of people have ridiculed her story, but according to information I have, there may indeed be Bigfoots on the property assuming some of the things she is relating are actually occurring.

For instance, one morning, Robin went out to her feeding box and found it locked! She heard noises inside, and when she opened it, the food was gone and there was an opossum inside!

She let the opossum out, but she was puzzled. Sure the possum could possibly have gotten into the box, but there is no way the possum could have gotten into the box and then locked the door to it afterwards. Shades of a locked room mystery here. Lynne concluded that the Bigfoots must have put the opossum into the box as a joke.

That’s conclusive evidence right there! I mean let’s completely dismiss the possibility that a human could have locked the feeding box. No, in this case, Occam’s Razor leads us to the conclusion that a Bigfoot must have locked it to play a trick on Lynne.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions...I wonder if National Geographic or the Discovery Channel will be making a special on this nonsense.

My guess is that these are highly contaminated DNA samples from hairs or other stuff, mostly human samples, probably mixed with some other mammal (the "non-ape" in the sample. And that people who do not do how to analyze DNA are concluding that it comes from one animal instead of looking into contaminants. 

Views: 1084

Replies to This Discussion

LOLZ! (internal joke, Don, Michel often confuses tuesday with thursday and apparently Caribbean islands starting with the letter "B")

I'd certainly fly on to Barbados in that case. What a great place it is.

Apparently there will be a documentary about this.

Sasquatch: The Tribe Revealed

Type of Work: Entry Not Found
Type of Work Preregistered: Motion Picture
Literary Work in Book Form
Advertising or Marketing Photograph
Preregistration Number / Date: PRE000003852 / 2010-09-16
Application Title: Sasquatch: The Tribe Revealed
Title: Sasquatch: The Tribe Revealed
Copyright Claimant: Melba Stinnett Ketchum. Address: P O Box 455, Timpson, TX, 75975, United States.
Creation of Work Began: 2008-04-07 (Approximate)
Date of Anticipated Completion: 2011-06-22 (Approximate)
Projected Date of Publication: 2012-02-15 (Approximate)
Authorship on Application: Melba Stinnett Ketchum.
Description of Work: A film and/or documentary, narration or audio book, supporting photos and literary paper/document/book that will follow the The Sasquatch Project, the scientist and the scientific testing and proof for the existence of Sasquatch/ Bigfoot. Information will include discussion of results including A New Tribe of Living Humans, the complete Sasquatch mitochondrial genome sequence and nuclear DNA variations and text will show complete mitochondrial (mt) genome sequences were identified from DNA, analysis of the assembled sequence unequivocally establishes that the Sasquatch mtDNA falls inside the range of modern human mtDNAs and discussions of the origins thereof. The proof that the Sasquatch is not only the closest living human relative but is actually a contemporary living human. Also discussed is nuclear DNA testing performed on the same samples and the variations found in various genes including MC1R gene RUNX2 and FOXP2 as well as other targets genes involved in the perception of sound, transmission of nerve signals, the production of sperm and the lactase gene. Also discussed is how testing has ruled out ape cross and any ancient contributor and that Sasquatch is indeed a modern human with some genetic mutations accounting for their physical appearance. Also included are discussion of the history of samples and circumstances surrounding the acquisition, their testing, the circumstances surrounding the entire Sasquatch DNA Project. Documentary stars Melba Ketchum, et al
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.
Names: Ketchum, Melba Stinnett

Very interesting to read what Robert Lindsay has to say about all this--and he has A LOT to say.  For example, regarding Dr. Melba Ketchum of DNA  Diagnostics (who believes she may have been "raped" by a Bigfoot):

>>>  Ruckus about “angel DNA.” Indeed early versions of the paper contained not only references to angel DNA but also the Nephilim. The Nephilim references at least were removed in an early version as being a sure paper-killer. Whether or not the “angel DNA” references were removed in later versions is not known. I would certainly hope so!

One wonders why the angel and Nephilim references? Well, this is simply what Ketchum believes. As a fundamentalist Christian from East Texas, she has believed from the very start after she discovered that the Bigfoots were real that they had to be the Nephilim, the giants of the Bible. According to Genesis, angels came down from the heavens and mated with human women, thereby creating the a race of giants, the Nephilim.

Ketchum has been working this Biblical angle of the story for a long time. This was a huge source of friction between her and the late, great Richard Stubstad. He told me that she kept trying to fit the Bigfoot story into her Biblical beliefs. Richard kept telling her to please knock it off, leave the religion alone and just focus on the science, but she would never drop the subject.

Also she kept trying to convert Richard, and this was starting to make him mad. This led to the famous fallout between the two great Bigfoot researchers.

As recently as November 2011, I heard that the Ketchum study still had a strong fundamentalist Christian bent to it. Whether this was revealed in the actual paper itself is not known. /p>

I had never heard of Robert Lindsay, is he a BigFoot aficionado?

I wish one would at least know to which scientific journal she submitted the article to be published...

He says this about himself:

About

Independent Left journalist in California. Trustafarian in a shackteau, slumming it up in the barrio. Revolutionary, patriotic Leftist, Christian, liberation theology, replacement theology.

Education: BA Journalism (California State University, Long Beach, 1980), MA Linguistics (California State University, Fresno, 1994).

Politics: Green Party, Communist Party USA, Democratic Party.

Personally, I have been described as “otherworldly,”, “beyond highbrow,” “one of those totally out to lunch genius types,” and “off in my own world.” I have a very high IQ, and I’m told that a lot of high-IQ folks are like this. There doesn’t seem to be much I can do about it, but it does cause me problems.

Generally, topics are focused through a progressive yet heterodox lens.

Discusses race a lot – if it bugs you, don’t read. Overview of my views on race can be seen in this interview here.

I have been called a liberal race realist. Liberal race realism has been described as “a dash of race realism, positive White racial identity, the leftist view of American history, anti-racism, and a base of liberalism.”

I see myself as a pan-humanist universalist and a nonracist race realist, who strongly dislikes the PC, Cultural Marxist, Identity Politics, Western New Left.

I hearken back to an earlier Left that did not shy from cultural critique, particularly of backwards and reactionary cultures. I have major issues with standard Leftist internationalism, as it’s irrational and Utopian.

Although I am generally opposed to racism, I do hate Gypsies.

I also have an eclectic definition of what it means to be anti-racist. To me it means you should try not to treat others even slightly less well as others due to who their parents were.

I admit I am what is called a “ liberal racist.” I am also a “White man’s burden” racist, which is pretty much the same thing. I am also a “scientific racist,” but I just call that telling the truth. In addition, I am a “colorblind racist.” I’m comfortable with these political errors of thought.

I would like to clear up my views about race and intelligence. There are presently differences in average intelligence between the races. I do argue that IQ tests are an accurate measure of intelligence in most cases.

On the Woman Question, I am an equity feminist in the Daphne Patai , Camille Paglia and Nadine Strossen mold – all’s fair in love and war. I participate in a lot of pro-woman campaigns, mostly around economic and abortion rights issues.

I also support sex-positive feminismriot girrls,  Third-Wave feminism (Naomi Wolf – qualified approval) and especially post-feminism. On the other hand, I am also a masculinist: I am a man, and I must be for myself. As a masculinist and a devoted libertine, I am opposed to gender feminism and radical feminism.

Notorious provocateur and iconoclast, smashes all party lines.

Presently channeling Andy Kaufman, Tony Clifton, Lenny Bruce, Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, Kinky Friedman, Hunter S. Thompson and Wally Gator. Shoot first.

I read that. Strange character. His stance on racism is disturbing to say the least, especially the IQ bit. On feminism: I have no idea what it means to be a "gender feminist". Those 3 feminists he mentions are not my favorite people, especially Camille Paglia (a hard core libertarian).

How does he know so much about the Bigfoot DNA lady?

Lindsay writes about such things, evidently--a lot.  Yesterday I sent an email to the guy who founded the Cryptozoology Museum in Maine, who is quite skeptical of Ketchum.  He takes himself--and his "scientific" perspective--seriously.  Clearly, he has a lot of territory to protect.  He's written about the cryptozoologust Tom Slick, another fascinating person Tom Slick.  Check him out.  Apparently Nicholas Cage was going to play him in a film, but the project died.  Also, Bernard Heuvelmans, whom the museum director also mentions (below), seems to be an icon in the field.

Here's what he wrote to me when I asked him yesterday why he had not sent his museum's fecal samples to Dr. Ketchum (he must have visited my Web site):

Melba S. Ketchum, a veterinarian, founded her private business, a DNA diagnostics lab in 1985.  However, just because she has pre-released, before publication, partial results of her alleged "Bigfoot" DNA findings, this does not mean that I wish to comment on what is being reported. I shall wait for the scientific journal's report, if it is ever published, to more properly critique them.

Unfortunately, I find what is being spread about by the media is only alleged information based on other supposed data. Ketchum's findings, their reported sources (e.g. blueberry bagels from Robin Lynne, Bigfoot steaks from Justin Smeja), and the imagined links for the supposed sequencing are all alleged and not worthy of making scientific comments about them until the publication appears. I hope you understand this position of mine, and the museum's.

Our samples have been tested, in the past, and those results have been shared in Bernard Heuvelmans' works, in documentaries, and in my published books on Tom Slick, to name a few locations. We find no reason to duplicate the testing (and destroy our remaining exhibition samples), which were already tested in 1959, 1991, and during the 21st Century by sending them to a private lab that has not demonstrated proper scientific standards and appropriate publishing protocols. That seems unwise.

My condolences for the loss of your friends, Roland and Maram Hanel, who, as your personal note states, were murdered in the hills of Jay, Vermont, in 1984. We all expect New England to be safe. I'm sorry such violence was visited upon them, and by extension, you.

Sincerely,
Loren Coleman, Director
International Cryptozoology Museum
Portland, Maine

I understand coleman's position. From a scientific point of view, I can say nothing unless I see the data. But what I can say is that the press release from DNA diagnostics is very, very strange. Especially the part about the nuclear DNA which screams "contaminated sample" to those of us in the field, or even worse, incredible quackery. 

So what are the result's of DNA testing on Coleman's samples?

That's a very good question.  I will write him back and ask.  He's written quite a lot on this subject, however, and he has some impressive credentials as well as a fancy blog--with a new Yeti footprint!  Check it out.  He's an "author & media personality."  These people are serious.

Your friend looks like an avid model collector.

Lindsay says this :

One of the many questions is that if it is still in peer review, why did she issue a press release? In my opinion, the paper has been sitting in peer review in the US for 21 months.

For 7 of those months, I believe it was at Henry Gee’s Nature. It was handed back by Nature due to “no testable hypothesis” and lack of a zoologist on board.

For the next 14 months, it has been sitting at one or more US journals. It has gone through four major rewrites and many minor ones. I think that finally Ketchum has just given up on US journals and has decided instead simply to publish abroad, in this case in Russia.

Hence the release by Igor Burtsev and the Ketchum release that followed. I figure that the paper has been under review at some journal that Burtsev is associated with, and it’s going to pass review at that journal as a foregone conclusion. She’s going to publish in a Russian scientific journal in both English and Russian.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service