Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Patricia, you come up with the most hilarious stories! What a great laugh this one is. "
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Grinning Cat, I like your comment on astrology.  "
2 hours ago
"I like the word, "atheist."  I am proud of being an atheist and am happy to share my…"
2 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"''Make me a sandwich'' is still one oi the best lines!"
3 hours ago
"Did the video come through? I don't see it on my comment. Here is the link in case my first…"
4 hours ago
""I'll pray for you!" I realize this is an old video, but I laugh every time I hear…"
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"Terry, do you know the publishing date? And, who is your publisher?  I feel honored that you…"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahahaha....."
8 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
" MrsB I loved the Miss Beatrice story. Thanks."
8 hours ago
Idaho Spud commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"That was a smile-inducer.  "
10 hours ago
"Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married. She was admired…"
14 hours ago
"Needs an extra large."
15 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"On astrology:"
17 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Loren, I agree that we need the word "atheism" as long as it's not a corollary of…"
17 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply an admission of the…"
22 hours ago
"Government guidelines say facemasks' should be worn over both mouth and carrotSnowman built by…"
22 hours ago
"Good one Mrs B"
23 hours ago
"Chris B, thanks for the Martin Luther King, Jr. quote!"
23 hours ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
yesterday
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

I'm a huge fan of soups, for the winter of course but also cold soups in the summer.

Mark Bittman has a great post in the New York Times on how to make different kinds of soups. it's a keeper, bookmark it or print it out guys, it is a winner.

Please add your own favorite soup recipes to this thread!

Creamy, Brothy, Earthy, Hearty

Yunhee Kim for The New York Times; Food stylist: Maggie Ruggiero. Prop Stylist: Deborah Williams.

I’m not anti-recipe (obviously), but some things just don’t need them — and most vegetable soups fall into that category. Here are easy-to-follow instructions for making vegetable (vegetarian and, for the most part, vegan) soups with common ingredients, a variety of choices and terrific flavor. Print the following page, stick it on your refrigerator and work your way through it. By the time you’re done — 12 days or 12 weeks later — you’ll never again need a recipe for vegetable soup. Promise.

And you’ll need no special techniques, no advance preparation and, for the most part, not much time. You can use just about any vegetable (or bean) you have on hand. These are not stone soups, but they’re close.

I’ve created four essential categories: creamy (vegetables puréed with dairy); brothy (a strained vegetable stock, with quick-cooking ingredients added); earthy (with beans); and hearty (the vegetables sautéed first, to deepen their flavor).

A few practical notes: All of these recipes serve four, and you’ll want about a 2.5-to-4-quart (medium or large) pot. Most can be cooked for a while — but not so long that the freshness is gone. Most will taste as good or better the next day, so consider making a double batch and refrigerating (or freezing) the leftovers. But never boil a soup after you’ve added dairy to it; instead, reheat gently.

If you want a supersmooth soup (and just about any of these soups can be puréed if you like), use a standing blender — let the soup cool a bit first — which creates a finer purée than an immersion blender does; you might even strain the soup after puréeing it.

Garnishes are all optional, though herbs add a dimension that will be lacking otherwise. If you taste as you’re cooking, you’ll be fine, because there is really nothing to go wrong here.

1. CREAMY

Creamy Spinach Soup
Put 1 chopped onion, 2 peeled garlic cloves, 3 cups water and salt and pepper in a pot over high heat. Boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Add 10 ounces chopped spinach and 1/2 cup parsley leaves; cook until the spinach is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup Greek-style yogurt and purée. Garnish: A spoonful of Greek-style yogurt and chopped parsley.

Squash-and-Ginger Soup
Substitute 1 tablespoon minced ginger for the garlic and 4 cups chopped butternut squash for the spinach (it will take longer to soften). Skip the parsley and substitute half-and-half or cream for the yogurt. Garnish: A spoonful of cream.

Curried Cauliflower Soup
Substitute 1 tablespoon minced ginger for the garlic, 2 cups cauliflower florets for the spinach (they will take longer to soften), 1 tablespoon curry powder for the parsley and coconut milk for the yogurt. Garnish: Chopped cilantro.

2. BROTHY

Vegetable Broth With Toast
Put 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped onions, 1 small chopped potato, 2 chopped celery ribs, 2 garlic cloves, 10 sliced mushrooms, 1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned are fine), 10 parsley sprigs, 1/2 ounce dried porcini, 8 cups water and salt and pepper in a pot over high heat. Boil, lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft, 30 minutes or longer. Strain and serve over toasted good bread. Garnish: Chopped celery leaves.

Egg Drop Soup
Beat 4 eggs. Boil the strained stock, lower the heat so it simmers and add the eggs in a steady stream, stirring constantly until they’re cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped scallions, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Skip the bread. Garnish: Chopped scallions.

Rice-and-Pea Soup
Boil the strained stock, lower the heat so it simmers and add 3/4 cup white rice. Cook until tender, then add 2 cups fresh or frozen peas; cook for a minute or two. Skip the bread. Garnish: Grated Parmesan.

3. EARTHY

Bean Soup
Put 1 1/2 cup dried beans, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery ribs, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves and 6 cups water in a pot over high heat. Boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the beans are soft, at least 1 hour, adding more water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish: A drizzle of olive oil.

Chickpea-and-Pasta Soup
Substitute chickpeas for the beans and rosemary for the thyme and add 1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned are fine). When the chickpeas are almost tender, add 1/2 cup small pasta. Cook until the pasta and chickpeas are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish: A few chopped rosemary leaves.

Spicy Black-Bean Soup
Use black beans and substitute fresh oregano for the thyme. When the beans are done, add 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 dried or canned chipotle and the juice of a lime. Garnish: Cilantro and sour cream.

4. HEARTY

Minestrone
Sauté 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped celery rib and 1 teaspoon minced garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups cubed potatoes and salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned are fine) and 5 cups water. Boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add 1 cup chopped green beans; simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish: Chopped parsley and grated Parmesan.

Mushroom Soup
Substitute 1 1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms (preferably an assortment) for the potatoes; sauté until they brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Substitute ½ cup white wine for the tomatoes, skip the green beans and add a fresh thyme sprig with the water. Garnish: A few thyme leaves.

Tomato-and-Garlic Soup
Use 2 tablespoons minced garlic and substitute 2 tablespoons tomato paste for the celery. Skip the potatoes and green beans; use 3 cups tomatoes and 3 cups water. Cook the tomatoes for 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish: Lots of chopped or torn basil.

Views: 610

Replies to This Discussion

Beat me to it Adriana!  Some great recipes to try out, and I LOVE soup!

Chicken soup is a favorite with many when sick, this will do the same for a vegan.

1. 1 3/4 pounds ripe tomatoes (I used a yellow and red heirloom from the local market).

2. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3. 1 teaspoon mustard seeds

4. 1 medium onion, finely chopped

5. 1 stalk celery finely chopped

6. 2 Jalapenos finely chopped

7. 1 teaspoon ground cumin

8. 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

9. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

10. 1/4 cup red lentils, rinsed

11. 6 cups water

12. Kosher salt

Directions

1. Peel and mince the tomatoes. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the mustard seeds, cover the pan and cook over high heat until the seeds begin to pop. Reduce the heat to moderately low. When the popping stops, add the onion, celery, jalapenos and cook, uncovered, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric to the saucepan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

2. Stir in the red lentils, tomatoes and water; season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer the soup over moderately low heat until the lentils have fallen apart, about 45 minutes. Ladle the tomato soup into bowls and serve.

That will clear up those sinuses =)

My version:

Ooooooooooo, I love red lentils, I love tomatoes, i love to have clear sinuses. This one is a winner!

i love the cumin, gotta have cumin in some types of soups.

i wil try this, looks awesome.

Martha Rose Shulman from the "Mediterranean Harvest."

Squash Soup

1 butternut squash, about two pounds.

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion chopped

3 garlic cloves minced

1 medium russet potato mince

2 teaspoons chopped sage, (could use thyme).

6 cups water

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Prepare a cookie sheet by laying aluminum foil on it and a thin layer of olive oil. Put squash cut side down on cookie sheet, bake for thirty minutes. Let cool, peel and dice.

In a dutch oven over medium heat add oil and onions. Cook five minutes. Add garlic, cook for a minute. Add squash, potato and sage; mix. Add water and bay leaf and two teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil, turn down and cover and simmer for forty five minutes. For a smooth soup use a blender. I just use a potato masher in the pot.

Taste for salt, add lots of ground pepper. Add parsley and serve.

The start of the process:

Finished product:

i love squash soup!  i will try this version!  sound very interesting!

Finally, a veggie chili that may work for me. =)

I've made literally dozens of vegetarian chili recipes, none that I really liked. The problem is always the same, the broth. Just isn't as rich as meat chili. This one does have a rich and fiery broth that satisfies.

The recipe is a take on Emeril's South of the Border Veggie Chili with Fixins off the food network.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil, divided

2 1/2 cups diced yellow onions

2 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped

3/4 cup diced red bell pepper

1/2 cup diced anaheim pepper (original recipe calls for yellow bell pepper here, I just like heat)

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced

2 tablespoons minced cilantro stems

1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon Emeril's Southwest Essence

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon crumbled Mexican oregano

1 tablespoon brown sugar-(I added this, like a little sweetness to offset the heat)

2 teaspoons salt, divided

2 small cans diced tomatoes, with juices (I use fire roasted)

6 cups Vegetable Stock

2 cups cooked mixed beans, (I used a mix of kidney and northern), drained

4 cups diced (1/2-inch) zucchini

4 cups diced (1/2-inch) yellow squash

1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves

Optional toppings:

Sour cream, for serving

Grated sharp Cheddar Cheese, for serving

Chopped green onions, for serving

Fried tortilla chips or strips, for serving

If you can't find Emeril's southwest essence in the store, here's the directions:

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons paprika

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon dried oregano

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 1/2 cup

Directions:

Preheat the oven to the broil setting.

In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and saute the onion, poblano, red and yellow bell peppers until soft and lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the jalapeno, cilantro stems, garlic, chili powder, Southwest Essence, cumin, oregano, brown sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the beans and continue to cook at a simmer until the flavors come together, 30 to 40 minutes longer.

While the chili is simmering, toss the zucchini with 1 tablespoon from the remaining oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining salt and place on a large baking sheet. Broil until caramelized around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and repeat with the yellow squash, remaining tablespoon of oil and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set the zucchini and squash aside to cool while the chili is simmering.

Once the chili has simmered for about 40 minutes, add the zucchini, yellow squash, masa harina, and chopped cilantro and cook for 10 minutes longer. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Serve the chili hot, with bowls of the sour cream, Cheddar, green onions and crispy tortilla chips or strips for guests to garnish their bowls, as desired.

Here's what it looked like:

This is a simple chickpea stew if you want a quick blast of nutrients. (Based on a Martha Rose Shulman recipe).

Chickpea Stew

Ingredients:

2 cups water

1 bunch swiss chard (could use 10 ounces of spinach, that's how Martha does it)

2 large garlic cloves, crushed

Kosher salt

Pinch of saffron. (you can skip the saffron if you don't have any on hand).

2 teaspoons sweet paprika

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Pinch of ground cloves

Pinch of freshly ground pepper

2 15-ounce cans chickpeas with their liquid

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 large tomato, seeded and chopped. (original recipe says to peel the tomato. I just core, cut in half width wise and squeeze out the seeds, peel if you want)

1/4 cup golden raisins. (I use whatever raisins I have)

Serve with crusty bread

Directions:

Pour water into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add greens and cook over high heat, tossing every so often, until wilted. Drain greens in colander, and when cool enough, squeeze out liquid. Coarsely chop the greens.

By using the flat side of a large knife, or mortar and pestle, mash the garlic to a paste with half a teaspoon of salt and saffron, (if using). In a small bowl or mortar, combine garlic paste, paprika, cumin, cloves and black pepper and mash until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of chickpea liquid.

Wipe out the pot. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the pot and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and tomato and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until they are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the spiced garlic sauce to the pot and cook for 1 minute.

Add the chickpeas and the remaining liquid to the pot. Add raisins and bring to a boil. Add the greens, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve in deep bowls, (4 servings), and sprinkle olive oil on top.

Here it is:

I ADORE chickpea stews, i make them a whole bunch of different ways. Swiss chard is a nice addition! I'm holding the raisins, though, not crazy about them.

A simple Middle eastern stew call Lubi. (I think lubi just means stew, but it's always green beans when I order out). This mimics the stew served at a local restaurant. I think its very close to what he produces, (I know the owner/chef), and at times my version is better than his.

Ingredients:

Two pounds green beans, trimmed and broken into 2 inch pieces

1 medium onion minced

Extra virgin olive oil

water

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, (start with lesser amount and add more to taste. Should just be a light flavor)

2 to 3 ounces tomato paste

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cooked rice

Directions:

Put about 3 tablespoons oil into a dutch oven over medium low heat. Add onions and cook until limp, (do not brown). Add green beans. Add enough water to just cover green beans. Cover and low simmer for fifty minutes. Add tomato paste cinnamon and about 1 teaspoon sea salt. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and cinnamon if necessary. Give it a few sprinklings of black pepper.

Serve over rice. This is one of my wife's favorite meals. We had taboulleh, pita and humus to complete the meal, but she will eat this just by itself with some crunchy bread, (woman loves green beans). =)

I love middle eastern foods. If you want vegan or vegetarian recipes, it's hard to go wrong with many of the foods served. Most dishes you can easily get the vegetarian version. 

Lubi:

Hmmmmmm, this looks delicious!

wow, i so love the excellent photos, too, i always prefer making recipes which have photos.

this is very interesting combo!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service