Feedback and Notes

Imagine No Religion

Latest Activity

Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
1 hour ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
3 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
5 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
11 hours ago
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Religion, Please!
13 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for tony dennis
22 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for liz murad
22 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Henry Woeltjen
22 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
22 hours ago
Stephen left a comment for Giuliano Contarino
22 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
22 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
yesterday
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
yesterday
yesterday
Doone has Fremdschämen commented on Julien's group The Music Box
yesterday
Doone has Fremdschämen posted a status
yesterday
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
yesterday
Chris commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
yesterday
Chris commented on Doone has Fremdschämen's group Canada, Mexico most of the World and Scumpistan News
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

DNA testing

Is DNA testing testing through companies such as "DNA and me" or any of the others of any benifit?

If so what was the (personal) value, how much did it cost and what was learned?

Views: 220

Replies to This Discussion

I have some tin types too without identifying information.  I don't know what to do about those.

Pursuing geneology on ancestry.com can become a continuous rabbit hole.  It has info from many sources - census, military records, school records, obituaries, and other people's compilations.   I traced my lineage back to when they emigtated to the US, and where from.  Before that I would need to pay more and for some, learn the old German script.  Not worth it to me.  Some things were interesting to me - several siblings of my ancestors died in the civil war, and I had ancestors in the military in almost every war.  From the census records, a lot of my ancestors were illiterate.  The majority of their children died in their first years of life.

I uploaded most of the ancestor photos.  When that is done, if my cousins dont want the originals, they will go into boxes for someone to handle after I die.  It's not a huge archive, but still a few dozen photos.  I sent my grandfather's Philippine-American war Army uniform and photos to a museum.  That was a releif too.

in my town, there was a large German part of town,  They spoke German, had German schools, German churches, and German newspapers.  During WWI and WWII, all of that stopped because we were at war with Germany.  But now, they pass judgement on immigrants who are not fluent in English, and say that people should not be allowed in the US if they don't already speak English.  I also think that people in the US should speak a common language, for effective communication in many critical areas, but I don't judge people who cant.  Learning languages is difficult.

Archiving the history of the family is interesting.

I have a great Uncle who worked for the American University in Cambodia in 1956.  My great cousin is starting to go though his letters and send them to me.

So far I only hav two letters.

Spanish American war?

Spanish American war ended in 1898.  The US acquired some posessions including the Phillipines.  The Philippines declared independence, and the US said, no, you are our colony, and went to war against the Phillipine people.  Somewhere between 200,000 and a million civilian Filipino deaths ensued.  The war officially ended 1902 but there were continued battles until 1913.  Basically, it was our first Vietnam war, again fighting against the independence of a Southeast Asian nation that was fighting to be free of colonial overlords (France and before that, China).

It's not taught about much.  I've known a number of people who were born and raised in the Phillipines, who never heard of the war.  My grandfather was in that war in 1907.

wikipedia

Mark Twain was fervently against the war,calling it a "Wanton war and robbing Expedition"

This was not a war against Spain, who no longer claimed the Phillipines and did not fight in the war.  It was a war strictly between the USA and the Phillipine Republic, and Filipino revolutionaries.

Don't know why this is jumping off the ship of dna testing.

My thoughts are that culture and history is more important than DNA.

I think are iimpprtant, and it varies for each of us.  There is no exclusive line saying anything is all nature or all nurture.  It's like, you can plant the same species of tree in five parts of the coutry, and it grows differently in each part. In some ares, grows faster.  In other, slower,  In some areas, more disease susceptible.  The flavor of plants varies by area and soil - called terroir.  People are more complex, but still, we all have certain genetic differences and tendencies, and how that is expressed is flavored by intrauterine conditions, health status, childhood, family, culture, exposures,  education.

Interesting. 

James Cook - British Explorer.

Both my Sister and Nephew died of throat cancer so my Quack quite rightly takes swabs once a year in order to keep an eye on things. There is one thing I know saying my prayers won't stop it from occurring.

Yes, best keep on top of that.

Whaaaat????? Praying doesn't work?????

I agree, wise to keep on top of that.

Most throat cancer is either HPV virus, or alcohol + tobacco related.   ut there are lots of exceptipns.

Tobacco was the cause of my sister's throat cancer but my nephew never smoked or drank in his whole life. Just one of gawds little ironies'  

Glad other family members get checked!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service