Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Too many loved ones gone. They do not hear me nor do they have a message for me. They are gone.…"
2 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"I hope so, & I also have a big hope that he will be stripped of that title of office, as well."
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"Trump allegedly committed crimes while in the White House and serving as POTUS and has to be held…"
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
"That makes sense, Onyango Makagutu, Homo idiotus idiotus it is!"
3 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
"Hopefully we'll learn better before it's too late."
3 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"And if I see Fox "News" on the TV in a public place, I'll ask that they change the…"
3 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"Never watched, never will watch."
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Odd....I never come with names that belong the one's I've looked for."
6 hours ago
Stephen replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
""Homo idiotus idiotus" Amen to that Onyango."
6 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
"We are doing so with abandon and then sit and pat ourelves on the back as being rational beings!…"
8 hours ago
Stephen replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
" Onyango it seems to me we are destroying the very earth beneath our feet."
8 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"Stuff like that should be rubbed in Fox News' nose until they can't stand the stink of…"
10 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"Hilarious, but what do you expect of Fox "News"?"
12 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away. --…"
13 hours ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"And scary!"
15 hours ago
Mrs.B replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
"Not good. We need green."
16 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
"This is beautiful. We have cut so many trees in Nairobi soon it will be all concrete"
16 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Julien's photo
Thumbnail

Religious fiction

"In 2013, Bibles in a Simi Valley, California Costco (outside Los Angeles) were accidentally labeled…"
20 hours ago
Mrs.B replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Natural History
"Beautiful. Cities need green too."
yesterday
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and One Sore Loser Named Scump News
"Looks like Fox News thinks Canada has taken over the top half of Michigan  @kennethfield file…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Birthdays

Two Alien Planets With 'Endless Oceans' --"Unlike anything in our S...

Two "Water World" planets orbit the star Kepler-62. This five-planet system has two worlds in the habitable zone — the distance from their star at which they receive enough light and warmth that liquid water could theoretically exist on their surfaces. Modelling by researchers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) suggests that both planets are water worlds, their surfaces completely covered by a global ocean with no land in sight.

Kepler-62 is a type K star slightly smaller and cooler than our sun. The two water worlds, designated Kepler-62e and -62f, orbit the star every 122 and 267 days, respectively.

They were found by NASA’s Kepler spacecraft, which detects planets that transit, or cross the face of, their host star. Measuring a transit tells astronomers the size of the planet relative to its star.

Read the full article at the Daily Galaxy the link is the heading!

Views: 300

Replies to This Discussion

I'm always amazed by what is now discovered.

Also, how they find these things!
Always comes down to the quality of the measurements.

And the numbers are growing:

A total of 908 such planets (in 700 planetary systems, including 140 multiple planetary systems) have been identified as of 6 July 2013. The Kepler mission has detected over 18,000 additional transit events, including 262 that may be habitable planets. In the Milky Way galaxy, it is expected that there are many billions of planets (at least one planet, on average, orbiting around each star, resulting in 100–400 billion exoplanets)

Of all those planets how many are older than our planetary system.

We were created first.

DUH! Of course!
That's why WE discover them, and not the reverse.

Haha! Of course bitches!

Says Who?

As far as I can tell, there would be no universe without us, or at least no one talking shit about it. =)

What is amazing with the increasing number of planets discovered, is that they are exclusively ones that happen to cross our line of sight to their stars. All the others living on an ecliptic plane that is slightly ajar, we won't be counting anytime soon.

And now this: A Deep Blue Dot!

The planet currently known as HD 189733b is one of the closest planets astronomers have discovered outside of our own solar system – only 63 light years away. It was first discovered in 2005, when French astronomers observed it moving in front of its star. And now, astronomers observing the planet with the Hubble Space Telescope have learned something else about it – it’s blue.

Don’t get too excited, though – it’s not blue because it’s covered with water. HD 189733b is bigger than Jupiter and is so close to its star that it’s year is only 2.2 days. Its temperature gets as high as 2,000 degrees. On one side, anyway. Since it’s so close to its star (about 2 million miles away), the planet is tidally locked – meaning only one side of the planet faces the star, period.

MORE HERE

RSS

© 2020   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service