Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"I hate to see beautifully designed and expertly crafted building torn down for modern glass boxes!…"
8 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Complete waste of paper."
19 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I also put a little make up on every day. Languages are not my thing either. Yes, & I…"
22 minutes ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Everything Wrong With Exodus 1 in the Bible"
22 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Stephen Brodie   Prego! I hope this says "You're welcome" in Italian.…"
32 minutes ago
"Mrs.B. thanks for the music leads; I'll try them out. "
49 minutes ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
" Joan. grazie mille per le idee. I'm trying to learn Italian for the millionth time.…"
54 minutes ago
"Mrs.B. I know, we have been hunkering down a very long time. Do you remember the polio outbreaks,…"
55 minutes ago
"My taste in music is huge, so I wouldn't know what to suggest. I have 60 cd channels [not…"
58 minutes ago
"Mrs.B, thanks for your ideas! Do you have favorite music; I am not much of a listener to music and…"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Modern is not always better."
1 hour ago
"I do many of those.  Bake bread. Find a new recipe. Move to some music."
1 hour ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
" Doone. I remember that poster plastered on the wall near the Shaftesbury Avenue exit of…"
1 hour ago
"While hunkered down until CLOVID is under control, here are some options. Please add your…"
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ominous Scale of Environmental Erosion in the group Science!
"“Humanity is running an ecological Ponzi scheme in which society robs nature and future…"
1 hour ago
"Ian Mason, according to the article you shared, "To effectively stop the virus, the…"
2 hours ago
"We've been ''hunkered down hard'' for nearly 11 months, only going out for…"
2 hours ago
"Mrs.B, bad news about COVID-19 arriving in Williams Lake. I hope you prepared to hunker down really…"
2 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The rich are getting the lion's…"
2 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Stay safe, everyone. DK has got off fairly lightly but we're locked down for the second time,…"
2 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

The orbiting observatories of the European Space Agency (ESA) have captured beautiful, awe-inspiring images of the so-called "pillars of creation", the gas pillars in the Eagle Nebula, which is located in the constellation of Serpens (6500 light-years away from us). These pillars had been photographed by the Hubble telescope almost 20 years ago, but the definition was not as great as that in these new pictures. Now, hot young stars, previously suspected of being there, can be seen as bright dots in the center. By using several infrared wavelengths, visible range, and X-ray, different parts of the nebula can be seen: stars, dust, gas pillars, and astronomers to better understand the lifecycle of stars. Go to the link for more beautiful images.

Europe's Orbiting Observatories Capture Stunning New Images of the ...

M16_HERSCHEL_XMM_02

Two of the European Space Agency's (ESA) orbiting observatories have captured new and spectacular views of the gas pillars in the Eagle Nebula (M16) that were the subject of the iconic 1995 Hubble images dubbed "Pillars of Creation."

In 1995, the Hubble Space Telescope's 'Pillars of Creation' image of the Eagle Nebula became one of the most iconic images of the 20th century. Now, two of ESA's orbiting observatories --Stunning new Herschel and XMM-Newton-- have revealed new insights this enigmatic star-forming region.

The pillars are only a small portion of the extensive nebulous region imaged in far-infrared by ESA’s Herschel Space Observatory, which shows cool dust and gas tendrils being carved away by the hot stars seen in the X-ray image from XMM-Newton. The wide-field optical image from the ESO MPG telescope puts the pillars into context against the full scale of the nebula, which is over 75 light-years across. 

The Eagle Nebula is 6500 light-years away in the constellation of Serpens. It contains a young hot star cluster, NGC6611, visible with modest back-garden telescopes, that is sculpting and illuminating the surrounding gas and dust, resulting in a huge hollowed-out cavity and pillars, each several light-years long.

The Hubble image hinted at new stars being born within the pillars, deeply inside small clumps known as 'evaporating gaseous globules' or EGGs. Owing to obscuring dust, Hubble's visible light picture was unable to see inside and prove that young stars were indeed forming.   The ESA Herschel Space Observatory's new image shows the pillars and the wide field of gas and dust around them. Captured in far-infrared wavelengths, the image allows astronomers to see inside the pillars and structures in the region.

Read the rest here.

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

The Teebow Nebula.

Michel, you took the more pragmatic view !!!!!

Hahaha

This is art ...

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service