Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Richard Levison posted a photo

Atheist Space Station!

Thank you China!
2 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"An interesting discussion. The point seems to be where and when to draw a line. There are European…"
5 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Current Events with Stephen Fry | Self-Censoring of Scientific Publications"
11 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Can you imagine what would have happened to Paine if the English Church authorities had managed to…"
17 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other…"
yesterday
Richard Levison left a comment for Nikki Alenius Hanninen
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Chris's group Right Wing Whackos
"Right-Wing R.I.P. - The Cost of COVID Conspiracy Theories"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Not a favourite of mine."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"About her granddad."
yesterday
"Bald IS a hair colour!! A friend's little granddaughter said so!"
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"And it's probably no coincidence that many who'd like to impose religion on us would also…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"The great Peggy Lee. Peggy Lee -- Is That All There Is? 1969"
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Loren, VOCES8 rendition was nice. I couldn't find the King Singers."
Friday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position. -- Bill Maher And like bald is a hair…"
Friday
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"This is music from the north-eastern part of India and not Bollywood. The language is Assamese :…"
Friday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Science!
"Yes, interesting topic."
Thursday
Idaho Spud commented on Adriana's group Science!
"The Human journey was interesting.  Thanks Stephen."
Thursday
"Yes!"
Thursday
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Science!
"Human journey, with Alice Roberts and Jim Al-Khalili | Humanists UK Convention 2021"
Thursday
Stephen Brodie commented on Julien's group The Music Box
" Loren very beautiful A Capella "
Thursday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Second Genesis: Looking For Aliens Here, There And Everywhere

by ADAM FRANK
April 09, 2013 8:59 AM

Will we need to tread lightly, in deference to the locals, when finally do make it to Mars?
Pat Rawlings/SAIC/NASA

Not too long ago I asked an astrobiologist colleague if he thought the search for life on Mars would be successful. His answer, delivered deadpan, stunned me.

"Oh I think we will find life on Mars," he said. "But the real question will be: Is it our life?" The point my friend was raising is the fundamental question of the solar system's second genesis.

We know life formed once in the Sun's family of planets. What we can't be sure about is where or when that first genesis occurred. In the wake of those uncertainties, it is entirely possible we were Earth's first alien invasion.

The Earth and Mars have been swapping spit (astrobiologically speaking) for eons. Large impacts from comets and asteroids can launch debris deep into interplanetary space. The debris then wanders the vacuum, orbiting the sun for millions of years. The pull of a passing planet may capture these forsaken bits of geology and down the gravity well they go. If they are large enough, these chunks from Mars or Earth or Venus may make it through the atmosphere onto the surface (of Earth or Venus or Mars). That is where the fun and, theoretically, the contamination might begin.

Four billion years ago Mars might have been a blue world (or blue-ish). It was certainly warm and wet enough for liquid water to run across its surface. This epoch of Martian history — called the later Noachian — lasted perhaps just 500 (or so) million years. That is short compared to Earth's four billion years of habitability. But it may have been long enough to allow abiogenesis (life from non-life) to get going.

Then, a chance asteroid impact might have sent a chunk of microbe-laden Martian crust to Earth. Given what we now understand about extremophiles — bacteria on Earth that can live in the most extreme conditions — it is not unreasonable to think some hardy "spores" of Martian descent made it to this warm, wet world, seeding the beginnings our own lineage.

So, life might have started on Mars, not Earth.

Thus what we really are looking for as we explore other planets in our solar system is not just life, but life that is clearly not our own.

MORE

Views: 87

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting questions

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service