Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Exactly."
9 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Here's a rather significant point of view, regarding the whole business of mass shootings in…"
9 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement – My Memories in the group The Music Box
"Entirely my joy, Randall.  I should mention that YouTube has the rest of the concerto with…"
15 hours ago
Randall Smith replied to Loren Miller's discussion Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement – My Memories in the group The Music Box
"Goodness Loren, I had no idea you were (are) so knowledgable about music! Impressive--as is the…"
15 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement – My Memories in the group The Music Box
"I should mention too, I suppose, that next Saturday, I get to hear The Cleveland Orchestra perform…"
15 hours ago
Chris B replied to Loren Miller's discussion Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement – My Memories in the group The Music Box
"Thanks Loren, I enjoyed that very much!"
21 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Elizabeth Rose
""Happy Birthday!""
23 hours ago
Mrs.B replied to Loren Miller's discussion Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement – My Memories in the group The Music Box
"Lovely."
yesterday
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group The Music Box
Thumbnail

Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement – My Memories

I think I was a junior in college when a Care package arrived from my mom, containing among other…See More
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family. -- Steven…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian posted a photo

Atheists should embrace the book of laughter

Unconditional happiness from Raelians to atheists.
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Hmmmmmm......."
Friday
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion This Ex-Republican Just Tweeted The Best Thread About What The GOP Is About. Ever. (Daily Kos) in the group Political Visions.
"Funny thing as it comes to that template for bad behavior: So do Republicans!"
Friday
Doone replied to Loren Miller's discussion This Ex-Republican Just Tweeted The Best Thread About What The GOP Is About. Ever. (Daily Kos) in the group Political Visions.
"Here is a Priest/Minister/Guru message on everything of importance: They can tell people what to…"
Friday
Profile IconIntroduce Yourself is the most popular forum post to date
Friday
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Yahweh forgot to mention this in the Bible - Adam and Eve have a very complex DNA.DNA findings keep…"
Friday
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
"DNA findings keep getting better and better.  New findings now find Africans do have…"
Friday
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Was Yahweh a Canaanite god? These data suggest that, before becoming publicly worshipped in…"
Friday
Doone commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Now if God was called ass or bog maybe people would at least think about their faith  "
Friday
Doone commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Religion is a fossil.  Our ancestors in their ignorance were at least very creative - "
Friday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

The James Webb Space Telescope has snapped its first in-focus image. The milestone comes after the mission team spent the last few weeks aligning its mirrors, and the telescope is now set to meet or even exceed its original science goals. It was also recently spotted by another spacecraft in the area.

The JWST is comprised of 18 big golden mirrors, which all gather light from cosmic sources and focus it onto the image sensor. After the rigors of launch and deployment, however, all of these mirrors were pointing in slightly different directions, so they needed to be aligned to focus on the same object.

And now that process is complete, bringing the primary imaging instrument, the Near-Infrared Camera, into alignment with the mirrors. The team tested how well the mirrors had aligned by pointing the telescope at a bright star called 2MASS J17554042+6551277, and sure enough the resulting image is crystal clear. In fact, it’s the highest resolution infrared image ever captured from space.

Read the rest here.

=============================================

At the risk of fan-boy-ing like all topsy, I think the above is just exciting as all get-out! Granted that this is just a first image, but then remember back to the first images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope and the astonishing sights it revealed after that, particularly the Deep Field. Even as the Hubble reveal stellar wonders we could hardly have imagined before it was launched into orbit, so I suspect that we are in for at least as spectacular ride with the JWST.

Stay tuned!

Views: 88

Replies to This Discussion

Exciting, interesting, fascinating......

What a fantastic achievement, James Webb Space Telescope just pure science for the sake of science.

Woo-ee!!!

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service