Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Chris B, I understand about "missing audible clues. Laura gets very irritated with me because…"
22 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"I hate to see beautifully designed and expertly crafted building torn down for modern glass boxes!…"
42 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Complete waste of paper."
54 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I also put a little make up on every day. Languages are not my thing either. Yes, & I…"
56 minutes ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Everything Wrong With Exodus 1 in the Bible"
57 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Stephen Brodie   Prego! I hope this says "You're welcome" in Italian.…"
1 hour ago
"Mrs.B. thanks for the music leads; I'll try them out. "
1 hour ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
" Joan. grazie mille per le idee. I'm trying to learn Italian for the millionth time.…"
1 hour ago
"Mrs.B. I know, we have been hunkering down a very long time. Do you remember the polio outbreaks,…"
1 hour ago
"My taste in music is huge, so I wouldn't know what to suggest. I have 60 cd channels [not…"
1 hour ago
"Mrs.B, thanks for your ideas! Do you have favorite music; I am not much of a listener to music and…"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Modern is not always better."
1 hour ago
"I do many of those.  Bake bread. Find a new recipe. Move to some music."
1 hour ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
" Doone. I remember that poster plastered on the wall near the Shaftesbury Avenue exit of…"
1 hour ago
"While hunkered down until CLOVID is under control, here are some options. Please add your…"
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ominous Scale of Environmental Erosion in the group Science!
"“Humanity is running an ecological Ponzi scheme in which society robs nature and future…"
2 hours ago
"Ian Mason, according to the article you shared, "To effectively stop the virus, the…"
2 hours ago
"We've been ''hunkered down hard'' for nearly 11 months, only going out for…"
2 hours ago
"Mrs.B, bad news about COVID-19 arriving in Williams Lake. I hope you prepared to hunker down really…"
2 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The rich are getting the lion's…"
2 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

More fascinating stuff.
A neat roundup of interesting worlds recently discovered. 
As always I'm amazed at the information we can extract from better measurements.

-------------------------

From Blastr:

Astronomers only started discovering planets outside our solar system two decades ago. Yet they're already finding planets freaky enough to house the lairs of supervillains. Here are nine planets so out this world, they make Tattooine feel as ordinary as Tunisia.

1. Diamond Planet

If we're all atoms underneath the fingernail of a giant, this planet is what that giant wears on her engagement ring. Putting literal meaning to "like a diamond in the sky," scientists in August discovered a distant planet that is a diamond. We don't mean "the surface is covered in diamonds," nearly the whole rock is one big sparkling gem. The planet is larger than Jupiter, which makes it slightly larger than our minds can comprehend.

The speculated formation of this body is quite epic. Once a massive star, layers were pulled away by a nearby pulsar. Finally, all that was left was the extremely dense inner core of a star. Which just goes to show if you polish anything long enough it always becomes a diamond.

2. Dark World

750 light-years away lies a planet that is darker than a piece of coal and less reflective than black acrylic paint. Planet TrES-2b is another of the many amazing finds made by

absorbent chemicals and a lack of reflective clouds, scientists have no firm idea why it is so dark.

As if finding a planet that is so pitch-black it baffles the finest minds in science isn't creepy enough, the planet is also glowing. Like a charcoal briquette on a barbecue grill, planet TrES-2b is so hot that it constantly gives off a slight red aura. The nearby star that it orbits heats the planet's surface to almost 2,000 degress Fahrenheit. Scientists have not yet discovered whether nearby planets have a distinct char-grilled taste.

3. The Land of Two Suns

Imagine two giant, fire-bursting stars orbiting each other closely. Now imagine an alien planet doing a full orbit around these spinning stars. Now imagine the psychedelic music of Pink Floyd blasting throughout this galaxy, and you'll understand why Kepler-16b is such a mind-blowing planet. It is the only planet of the hundreds discovered that travels around two suns.

How did this one-of-a-kind orbit happen? Since all three bodies remain in the same plane, scientists believe they formed at about the same time from an interstellar disk of dust and gas. The temperature on the planet is well below mind-numbingly freezing, so don't get any hopes up of finding the savior of the galaxy here.

4. The Speeding Giant

Continue here.

Views: 877

Replies to This Discussion

The stories which comprise the collection Quest of the Three Worlds by Cordwainer Smith:

• "On the Gem Planet"
  • "On the Storm Planet"
  • "On the Sand Planet"
  • "Three to a Given Star"

The real life planets seem to be even odder than the SF planets.

We have yet to find a ringworld.

I love the Dark World.

Awesome!

coolio.

too way out !!!!!!!

Hey, with global warming we may make earth into DUNE?

Fremen all, a warrior planet. But then it already is, eh? =)

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service