Latest Activity

Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Nice one Loren  "
6 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Well, so long as we're on the topic of Omar Khayyam:"
1 hour ago
"None of Khayyam's poetry wasn't published in his lifetime because much of his work would…"
1 hour ago
"What a shame, Stephen.  I'm not certain, but I think there is a copy of the Rubaiyat in…"
2 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Yes, he does."
2 hours ago
"Loren I was once given a beautifully bound copy of the Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyám. I…"
5 hours ago
Loren Miller left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Greets and welcome to Atheist Universe!  Please enjoy your time here."
8 hours ago
"He (the Rev. Mr. Whitefield) used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the…"
9 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Klinger
""Happy Birthday!""
14 hours ago
"How much more of the mosque, of prayer and fasting? Better go drunk and begging round the taverns.…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Yes, I do that regularly.....VERY regularly. Fingers seem to have their own mind."
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Yes, Mrs B. A slip of the fingers."
yesterday
Mrs.B left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Good to see you here."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Do you mean ''desanctify''?"
yesterday
Terence Meaden left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Welcome welcome. Among other possibilities, do join the active Loren Miller's group with its…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group World History
"The REAL Israelite Religion: Interview with Dr. Francesca Stavrakopoulou Interesting discussion on…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Welcome Guilin HBM Health AU"
yesterday
Guilin HBM Health is now a member of Atheist Universe
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Words that first appeared in Webster's dictionary in my birth year, 1956. I like that…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Nadine Gary
"Hello Nadine! I take it by the formation of your group that your a member of the Raelian movement…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

That's it! I'm never eating or drinking anything else as long as I live. I'm never vacationing in the tropics. And I'm going to kill every bug I see. 

Views: 265

Replies to This Discussion

Well, this is more like a shockumentary. A show formula specifically designed to scare the shit out of you (and me). Not that it's likely to happen anytime soon, but it wouldn't keep me from enjoying tropical weather.

Well, shockumentary is right, but still.....ewwwww! 

Speaking of Eating and Stinging one Alive, the Liosp!

Liosp

I just finished watching the tail-end of this. As gross as parasitic infection seems, it's hard not to have some kind of respect for what they are. Life is so diverse, and always finds its own niche, it seems. 

Of course, they seem "evil" to us, but they their is no real ill will in what they do. They're just feeding and reproducing like the rest of us. 

This has been on my reading list for forever: Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures

In this re-issued paperback edition with a new epilogue, Carl Zimmer reveals the power, danger, and beauty of parasites in “a book capable of changing how we see the world” ( Los Angeles Times ).

For centuries, parasites have lived in nightmares, horror stories, and the darkest shadows of science. In Parasite Rex, Carl Zimmer takes readers on a fantastic voyage into the secret universe of these extraordinary life-forms—which are not only among the most highly evolved on Earth, but make up the majority of life’s diversity. Traveling from the steamy jungles of Costa Rica to the parasite-riddled war zone of southern Sudan, Zimmer introduces an array of amazing creatures that invade their hosts, prey on them from within, and control their behavior. His vivid descriptions bring to life parasites that can change DNA, rewire the brain, make men more distrustful and women more outgoing, and turn hosts into the living dead.

This comprehensive, gracefully written book brings parasites out into the open and uncovers what they can teach us all about the most fundamental survival tactics in the universe—the laws of Parasite Rex.

This one looks interesting, too: The Wild Life of Our Bodies: Predators, Parasites, and Partners That Shape Who We Are Today

“Anextraordinary book…. With clarity and charm [Dunn] takes the reader into theoverlap of medicine, ecology, and evolutionary biology to reveal an importantdomain of the human condition.” —EdwardO. Wilson, author of Anthill and The Future of Life

BiologistRob Dunn reveals the crucial influence that other species have upon our health,our well-being, and our world in The WildLife of Our Bodies—a fascinating tour through the hidden truths of natureand codependence. Dunn illuminates the nuanced, often imperceptible relationshipsthat exist between homo sapiens and other species, relationships that underpinhumanity’s ability to thrive and prosper in every circumstance. Readers ofMichael Pollan’s TheOmnivore’s Dilemma will be enthralled by Dunn’s powerful, lucid explorationof the role that humankind plays within the greater web of life on Earth.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service