Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Randall Smith commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Loren, VOCES8 rendition was nice. I couldn't find the King Singers."
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position. -- Bill Maher And like bald is a hair…"
3 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"This is music from the north-eastern part of India and not Bollywood. The language is Assamese :…"
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Science!
"Yes, interesting topic."
16 hours ago
Idaho Spud commented on Adriana's group Science!
"The Human journey was interesting.  Thanks Stephen."
16 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Yes!"
21 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Science!
"Human journey, with Alice Roberts and Jim Al-Khalili | Humanists UK Convention 2021"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Julien's group The Music Box
" Loren very beautiful A Capella "
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Some time back, Billy Joel wrote a beautiful lullaby for his daughter, which he then released on…"
yesterday
"I have my beliefs, you have your beliefs, but don't use the machinery of government to impose…"
yesterday
Richard Levison left a comment for TheBurningMonk
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"No-brainer there. Pun intended."
yesterday
"Which is it, is man one of God’s blunders or is God one of man’s? -- Friedrich Wilhelm…"
Wednesday
Richard Levison left a comment for pansy
""Happy Birthday!""
Wednesday
Chris B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"A great one, Patricia!"
Wednesday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Boghossian has been very provocative with the goal of creating debate over several years, including…"
Wednesday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"It is disgusting."
Wednesday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That's disgusting! That is breaking down science from inside out!"
Wednesday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"'My university sacrificed ideas for ideology': Read the terrifying testimony of how…"
Wednesday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That looks pleasant, Chris. I presume the large building is the hospital."
Tuesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Questions

The following questions are questions that I've been thinking upon for a long time what are your thoughts on the questions and Why!

I'll set them so that you can reply to each question separately.

Views: 550

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on the person, some obviously are worth more than others. The U.S. thinks so little of Iraqi's that they didn't even bother counting the number they killed during the war.

Iraq Deaths Estimator

Chris - I did my own little research essay on the casualties that you may find interesting...

http://heatherspoonheim.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/iraq-war-civilian-...

That's a good article Heather. It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers the military would have come up with had they been keeping track. Isn't that normally done? 

I don't know if it is 'normally' done.  There are no numbers in Afghanistan because there was never a war there.  The number of actual soldiers killed in Iraq was pretty low and the real death toll has been amongst civilians as anarchy set-in once Saddam lost control.  I'm not sure there is any control yet.

I was thinking that enemy death count was kept during the Vietnam war as 'proof' the U.S. was winning.

A bundle of cash is worth more if I I'm trying to pay my rent.  I could offer my landlords a person, I suppose, but that would seem rather creepy.

probably illegal too, besides the landlord may already have a few people in his basement already anyway.

One of those people is me!

Get out before it's too late! 

8=>

Who is worth more a bundle of cash or a person?

I will re-state it this way.

What is worth more a bundle of cash or a person?

Well apparently it is because when money is invested the investor expects a higher return than what that same investor is willing to pay a person for his work for the same period of time!

This is what the OX-FAM media release titled “The cost of inequality: how wealth and income extremes hurt us all.” said quote – Wages in many countries have barely risen in real terms for many years, with the majority of the gains being to capital instead!

So I'm not the only one that thinks that – A bag of money is worth more than a person.
If the gains made by capital (and capital is money) is greater than the gains by the workers over the same period of time then money is also more important than people!

Whose time is worth more? The farm labourer or the educated person working in the city?

The tradesperson working in a factory or the scientist working in their labs?

This question is not an esoteric question but one of perception.

Actually the farm labourer's time has the same worth as the educated person's time who works in the city. Because when you remove all the perceived values that we attach to a human being and their occupation leads to one conclusion that being:-

There is only one intrinsic and true worth, that both have and that they are Human Beings.

Because what is worth?

But an abstract idea used to delineate between two states of condition. As the saying goes “ One man's trash is another man's treasure!”

We devalue the worth of a person's time in relation to the occupation that they work in.

Why do we do this?

I can understand this attitude from a historical viewpoint because historically farm work was hard and laborious, and the parents wanted better things for their children not a life of thankless, unending laborious drudgery. Their children once obtaining a better life for themselves forgot where they came from and began looking down on the workers in the fields.

But in this day and age we have forgotten the interconnectedness that exists in our society! We have forgotten that for a city to survive it requires people to provide them with sustenance.

As we are just learning about cities that once flourished then disappeared because as the land surrounding the city could not provide the agriculture goods to sustain the city.

The city people will say “Oh we provide them with goods to make their lives easier!” But is the value of goods exchanged between the city and country equitable?

Actually when you strip all the perceived ideas that are used to justify paying someone a higher rate than someone else there is nothing really that separates one person from another person. With the rise in technology these days the farm labourer has to have just as much education as a person working in the city. They have to maintain the technology that they use. The tradesperson has to have just as much knowledge to perform their tasks as the scientist working in the laboratory, the only real difference is the outcomes of their work. One's work is a real physical output while the others is a expansion of knowledge, some of which has an immediate and practical use and some has no immediate use but a use some time in the future!

There is one group of tradespersons that can be charged with manslaughter when lives are lost due to the improper carrying out of their trade! Those involved in the maintenance of aircraft when the authorities can directly attribute the accident occurrence to the actions of the tradesperson that did the work. Yet do they receive a pay rate nearly the same as the pilots? They would be lucky to get one fifth of what the pilot is paid!

Whose occupation is more important? The shit kicker cleaning up everyone else or the executive sitting in his opulent office?

When you re-jig this question to “ What actually separates the the shit kicker's job from the executive's job?”

Once again when you strip all the preconceived and attributed values attached to the shit kicker and the executive there is no real attribute that makes either more important than the other.

The Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme was built by men that were highly qualified and held doctorates in physics, medicine, engineers, mathematics and so on. Why! Because they needed shit kickers not qualified people.

By the same token there were men in Australia's past that carved names for themselves and entered in to high society with the damned barest of education. There have been men that learnt what they needed to know to pursue their interests without obtaining a University degree in any shape or form.

Both Both the shit kicker and the executive are need in the scheme of civilised humanity because humanity is like a body with many parts carrying out various functions for its smooth operation. Just as a body needs organs to supply nutrition, it also needs organs to rid the body of the wastes it produces. So civilised humanity requires people to feed the populous and to remove the wastes that society creates. It needs organs to carry out work and get it from point “A” to point “B”. So civilised humanity requires people to make the goods that they require and to move the populous from point”A” to point “B”. Just as the body requires organs to regulate and control the other organs so they function as they should and at the right time. So it is with civilised humanity it requires people to regulate and control the functions of the populous so that they function as they should and at the right time.

What happens to cities that the shit kickers decide to strike and not clear away the waste?

The air becomes foul with the stench of the garbage piling up and if it happens when it is hot then the stench becomes intolerable.

There is a joke that has been going around for years about the bodies organs and who should be the boss of the body, the brain, the heart, and the anus. Well the upshot of the joke was the anus closed up tight and the brain got giddy and foggy, the heart palpitated.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service