Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"He's so good."
53 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Disgust for the country is only growing. Back to the back alley abortions, self abortions,…"
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Obviously, without the right of women and men to make decisions about our own bodies, there is no…"
8 hours ago
Chris B replied to Loren Miller's discussion Life Is Precious . . . Unless It's Not (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
"!"
14 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Portia Coppage
""Happy Birthday!""
14 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Liberal Redneck - Not So Supreme Court"
16 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"The god-awful coffee I had in McDonald's tonight would really raise the dead "
16 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Loren Miller's discussion Life Is Precious . . . Unless It's Not (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
""Unless you forgot to be White" made me laugh out loud. "
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That it is!"
22 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks for the tweet link, Pat. Fucking A"
22 hours ago
"Oh I do so like it when posh people get it in the neck. Thanks, Ian"
22 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Yes, front page stuff."
22 hours ago
"Wow, that sounds pretty major."
23 hours ago
"Scandal about an 'endemic bullying culture' has now hit Herlufsholm, the Danish…"
23 hours ago
"Good stuff and I hope a mass movement gets behind the issues."
yesterday
yesterday
"Turning back the tide of justice and progress and making "America great again" WOTMQ:…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Those public schools should be raided too - I think it's criminal to teach children that…"
yesterday
"There was a time when the British police made regular raids on the House of Lords locker room. It…"
yesterday
"Speaks volumes, though."
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Do you enjoy watching foreign films or is the subtitle too much for you? What are the foreign films that you would like to recommend to others?

Note: By foreign films I mean anything outside the United States.

Views: 1206

Replies to This Discussion

me too...

Edward Yang's Yi yi (2000) is really great. A slice of life. I know that, for some, almost three hours may be too much, but it's really worth every second.

Here are a few Argentinian movies I really liked:

"El Secreto de sus ojos" (The secret in their eyes, it won the 2010 Academy Award for best Foreign movie)

And "Carancho" (term for "ambulance chaser", literally means "vulture")

Both star my favorite Argentinean actor, Ricardo Darín. He also starred in another acclaimed movie, "El Aura" (The Aura):

I've watched El secreto de sus ojos twice (and a half) last month - at last, a crime thriller without a car chase or one of these ridiculously hyper-choreographed brawls Hollywood couldn't live without anymore. And the nonexplicit, unconsummated romance subplot is pure genius. A very fine movie.
You may like The Aura and Carancho, too. The Aura is also a crime thriller, but atypical; Carancho is more social commentary and has quite a bit of violence. I thought Darín was very good in Carancho. But El secreto de sus ojos tops them. I also watched it twice. I also loved the subtle love story in the background. Very romantic, a fine touch.
I have only seen El secreto de sus ojos. It's great and I really recommend it as well!

I am really starting to love South Korean cinema. Recently I have seen Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom (a.k.a. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring) and Bin-jip (a.k.a. 3-Iron), both written and directed by Ki-duk Kim. He is really gifted, and, even though I prefer Bin-jip, the other one is not that bad either. You should watch them.

If anyone has seen any other good South Korean films, please tell us about them.

I want to watch the other two films from Chan-wook Park's vengeance trilogy because Oldeuboi is already one of my favourites. I'll let you know if I like them or not.

Mar adentro, from Alejandro Amenábar, is a really good film. It tackles subjects like euthanasia, assisted suicide and life and Javier Bardem delivers another great performance.

Yes, this is a great film. For those in the US, it was marketed as "The Sea Inside"

The trailer can be seen here (embed was disabled for this trailer)

And on a similar subject, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly ("Le scaphandre et le papillon") is also a great movie. Mathieu Amalric is great in this movie (he's a very good actor in general).

"Incendies"- Canadian/Belgium movie, directed by Denis Villeneuve-2010

I recommend it; it's a very good movie although I wish they had picked a different ending. Warning: there are scenes of psychological and graphic violence. Twin Canadian brothers of Christian Lebanese origin go to Lebanon (though the movie never says it is Lebanon, but the historical events clearly tell you it's Lebanon) to fulfill their mother's last wish. The movie has flashbacks to a horrible period of Christian-Muslim conflict leading to massacres. The side they paint worst is the Christian nationalists actually. 

Incendies Poster

Incendies (2010)

R  130 min  -  Drama | Mystery | War   -  12 January 2011 (Belgium)
Your rating:
            -/10  
Ratings: 8.2/10 from 7,402 users   Metascore: 82/100 
Reviews: 52 user | 153 critic | 34 from Metacritic.com

Twins journey to the Middle East to discover their family history, and fulfill their mother's last wishes.

Stars:

I recommend this movie, I liked it a lot. It makes you think, too.

In a Better World Poster

In a Better World (2010)
Hævnen (original title)

R  119 min  -  Drama | Thriller   -  26 August 2010 (Denmark)
Your rating:
              -/10  
Ratings: 7.7/10 from 7,668 users   Metascore: 65/100 
Reviews: 33 user | 159 critic | 29 from Metacritic.com

The lives of two Danish families cross each other, and an extraordinary but risky friendship comes into bud. But loneliness, frailty and sorrow lie in wait.

Director:

Susanne Bier

Writer:

Anders Thomas Jensen (screenplay)

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service