Latest Activity

Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Nice one Loren  "
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Well, so long as we're on the topic of Omar Khayyam:"
3 hours ago
"None of Khayyam's poetry wasn't published in his lifetime because much of his work would…"
3 hours ago
"What a shame, Stephen.  I'm not certain, but I think there is a copy of the Rubaiyat in…"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Yes, he does."
4 hours ago
"Loren I was once given a beautifully bound copy of the Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyám. I…"
6 hours ago
Loren Miller left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Greets and welcome to Atheist Universe!  Please enjoy your time here."
10 hours ago
"He (the Rev. Mr. Whitefield) used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the…"
11 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Klinger
""Happy Birthday!""
16 hours ago
"How much more of the mosque, of prayer and fasting? Better go drunk and begging round the taverns.…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Yes, I do that regularly.....VERY regularly. Fingers seem to have their own mind."
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Yes, Mrs B. A slip of the fingers."
yesterday
Mrs.B left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Good to see you here."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Do you mean ''desanctify''?"
yesterday
Terence Meaden left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Welcome welcome. Among other possibilities, do join the active Loren Miller's group with its…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group World History
"The REAL Israelite Religion: Interview with Dr. Francesca Stavrakopoulou Interesting discussion on…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for Guilin HBM Health
"Welcome Guilin HBM Health AU"
yesterday
Guilin HBM Health is now a member of Atheist Universe
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Words that first appeared in Webster's dictionary in my birth year, 1956. I like that…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Nadine Gary
"Hello Nadine! I take it by the formation of your group that your a member of the Raelian movement…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

If you've read Nate silver's "The Signal and the Noise", you need to read this New Yorker article: "What Nate Silver gets wrong" by two NYU professors. If you have not read Silver's book, you should read the article, too. It explains what Bayes's theorem is good for: making prediction when there is previous information available. The professors argue that Nate Silver advocates the use of Bayersian methods when there is no real previous information. They also explain why it's so hard to make predictions in some field.

My favorite example from the article illustrates how Bayesian statistics work:

A Bayesian approach is particularly useful when predicting outcome probabilities in cases where one has strong prior knowledge of a situation. Suppose, for instance (borrowing an old example that Silver revives), that a woman in her forties goes for a mammogram and receives bad news: a “positive” mammogram. However, since not every positive result is real, what is the probability that she actually has breast cancer? To calculate this, we need to know four numbers. The fraction of women in their forties who have breast cancer is 0.014, which is about one in seventy. The fraction who do not have breast cancer is therefore 1 - 0.014 = 0.986. These fractions are known as the prior probabilities. The probability that a woman who has breast cancer will get a positive result on a mammogram is 0.75. The probability that a woman who does not have breast cancer will get a false positive on a mammogram is 0.1. These are known as the conditional probabilities. Applying Bayes’s theorem, we can conclude that, among women who get a positive result, the fraction who actually have breast cancer is (0.014 x 0.75) / ((0.014 x 0.75) + (0.986 x 0.1)) = 0.1, approximately. That is, once we have seen the test result, the chance is about ninety per cent that it is a false positive. In this instance, Bayes’s theorem is the perfect tool for the job.

The article explains why so many scientific articles publish false results. It's not because of fraud or deception, it's because of statistics: when you carry out enormous numbers of experiments or studies, you will get many false positives.
The professors recommend the book nevertheless, in spite of Silver's overly enthusiastic endorsement of Bayesian statistics as a way to predict the odds of practically everything.

Views: 214

Replies to This Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service