Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Profile IconStephen gave a gift to Loren Miller
40 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Science is incompatible with religion in the same way as serious, rigorous attempt at searching for…"
49 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Love trombones!"
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true. The other is to refuse to…"
1 hour ago
Stephen left a comment for Loren Miller
"Happy birthday Loren. I do hope you have a nice day."
7 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Butler said before any war, people should cast ballots. Those who vote yes must be the first to be…"
8 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Oh yeah!"
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and the Biggest Loser of All Time (SCUMP) News
"Doone. I don't find those numbers very reassuring, it's great that Biden's voting…"
10 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Talented kid, for sure! And after some bass, how about some epic low BRASS! And while…"
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Anyone for a little bass?"
14 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and the Biggest Loser of All Time (SCUMP) News
"Washington (CNN)President-elect Joe Biden's margin over President Donald…"
18 hours ago
Davy commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Formerly when great fortunes were only made in war, war was business ; but now when great fortunes…"
18 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and the Biggest Loser of All Time (SCUMP) News
"He's the epitome of ugly."
20 hours ago
Chris B commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"Fantastic!"
23 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Almighty God, I am sorry I am now an atheist, but have You read Nietzsche? -- John Fante, Ask…"
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and the Biggest Loser of All Time (SCUMP) News
"This is a man who makes fun of other people's appearance. "
yesterday
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Systemic Racism - Contact Legislators in the group All things #TrumpSewer
"I agree, and I have my representative and senators' phone #s ready with my script written."
yesterday
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Open Society University Network: Local and global issues
"Stephen, the sixties were a tumultuous time, with the Civil Rights Movement in full swing,…"
yesterday
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Systemic Racism - Contact Legislators in the group All things #TrumpSewer
"I've called my congresscritters' offices, telling the Republican senator that the…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and the Biggest Loser of All Time (SCUMP) News
"Works for me!"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

From the beginning of the pandemic, we were told that one infected person spread the disease to 2 others on average, called its R0. New data says the reproductive number for COVID is 4.5. "... a global average of about 4.5 new cases per infected individual,..." 

COVID-19 was twice as contagious as experts thought when pandemic s...

This means it will be far more difficult to terminate the pandemic than we imagined.

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

I like the discussion & seek clarity. This works for me: 

The reproductive number (R#) indicated how contagious is a disease. 

RO pronounced ”R naught” = not contagious

Each infected individual infects an average of two others = R2

Each infected individual infects an average of 4 or 5 others = R4 or R5.

”during the early months of the COVID pandemic, the average number of new infections caused by an infected individual (i.e. the basic reproduction number, R0) was 4.5, or more than twice as many as the initial 2.2 rate estimated by the World Health Organization at the time.”

”The time to reduce the R0 to below 1.1 infections is immediately.

~ Gabriel G. Katul, Assaad Mrad, Sara Bonetti, Gabriele Manoli, and Anthony J. Parolari; (Sept. 24, 2020. Duke University, DURHAM, N.C.  Window for Slowing COVID’s Spread was Smaller than Projected. “Global Convergence of COVID-19 Basic Reproduction Number and Estimation from Early-Time SIR Dynamics,” PLOSOne. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0239800

https://nicholas.duke.edu/news/window-slowing-covids-spread-was-sma...

Note: Gabriel Katul is available for additional comment at gaby@duke.edu.

Chris B I agree with your statement and think the next debate should have some rule.

1. Perhaps the moderator should be a debate champion. 

2. Only one mike should be hot, the other one silenced. 

3. Having each debater in a separate enclosure may make it easier for Biden to stay focused on the topic. 

4. The moderator has to be stricter and insist on compliance or end the "debate."

That would help a lot, I think. If t was made to follow the rules instead of yelling... but I see no way to deal with a person like that.

Debate Commission introduces new tools so that the moderator can manage Trump. / Giant gong to indicate each bald-faced lie / Extra gonger for when the first one breaks / Tranquilizer darts / Heavy weather gear for s**t storms / Cleaning supplies to keep it from staining

(click to embiggen)

Equipment for the debate includes "gongs, tranquilizer darts, heavy weather gear for s**t storms, and cleaning supplies." Build two soundproof cubicles with a lock on each door, and a mic controlled by a time-keeper in each room. The keeper-of-time must be a non-partisan who will be checked by monitors from each party. A sergeant at arms enforces the rules, preserves order, and sets penalties.

The moderator defines the debate process and civility of both/all parties and imposes penalties. The timer abides by the clock.

Rules for the debate

1. Round 1. The first speaker for the affirmative side sitting next to the chairperson begins. Then, the first speaker for the negative side responds.

2. Round 2. When the last speaker for the negative side has spoken, the second round of the debate begins, this time in reverse order.

3. Each speaker has a maximum time agreed to by the debaters.

4. Interrupting a speaker is forbidden.

5. The audience does not participate in the debate.

Gregg Gonsalves explains much of what we're seeing in the resurgence.

"In Europe, countries that were successful in beating back the first wave of Covid-19 are seeing the virus roar back ... most of these countries didn’t use the summer wisely to scale up testing and contact tracing, ensure humane isolation and quarantine (e.g., paid isolation “leave”), institute mandatory mask-wearing, and retro-fit ventilation in places like schools. The countries that did, such as Germany and in Asia-Pacific—New Zealand, South Korea, and China—are thus far managing this next phase of the pandemic far better than the rest of us." 

We’re Never Going Back to Normal

RSS

© 2020   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service