Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Ok, so your lobby etc., is not likely to flood then."
36 minutes ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"If you remember Abbey Road is nearly at the top of the hill(St. Johns Wood) and Maida Vale is about…"
41 minutes ago
"Is your street on high ground, Stephen?"
4 hours ago
"London weather: Streets turn into rivers and Tube station is flooded"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I don't want to have faith, I want to know, as someone once said."
7 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Yeah, I saw that.  Initially, I thought it was a thoughtless nothing-burger, had NO idea where…"
9 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"To me, the bottom line is honesty. A person with integrity doesn’t claim to know supernatural…"
13 hours ago
"I suspect, Mrs. B, because they want simplistic answers to complex problems."
13 hours ago
"Very succinct but true "
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"And....why are so many falling for it?"
yesterday
"To govern is to choose. -- John F. Kennedy And to choose, one must have viable, rational choices.…"
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Mostly to Loren: What do you think of Cleveland's baseball team changing its name (from…"
yesterday
"Odd that, huh?"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Nowhere, as always."
yesterday
"So where the hell was the loving gawd in all this?"
yesterday
"Ep 54: The Catholic Church and Canada’s residential schools "Not one single residential…"
yesterday
"Christian morality is the morality of slaves. -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche Precisely. Virtually…"
Friday
"Dear Joan!  Your mind is many things, but "simple is NOT one of them!  That's…"
Friday
Richard Levison left a comment for Idalia Lopez
""Happy Birthday!""
Friday
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should…"
Friday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Calling for "unity" and 'healing" after last week's deadly attempted coup at the US Capitol - some very quotable caveats

A comment by Beagle at joemygod.com that deserves to be read widely:

To conservatives talking about “unity” and “healing”:

You need to realize a few things.

Above all, that you have fucked up. Big time.

For years, you have consistently indulged in violent rhetoric and wild conspiracy theories that have no link whatsoever to reality. You have been repeatedly tearing down Others who don’t fit your narrow, cramped vision of what type of existence should be permitted. When we have objected, you have responded by dismissing our concerns. You have dismissed us as “snowflakes.” You have condemned us as “libtards.” You have put every roadblock in the way to even the most tentative efforts at resistance.

Your rhetoric has finally led to its inevitable result. An armed mob stormed the U.S. Capitol building with the intent of assassinating a number of U.S. government officials. And you built this.

At this moment, none of you has even the tiniest shred of credibility. The only exception is the one Republican member of Congress that voted to support the impeachment and conviction of your president last year. We can’t trust you to act in the best interests of the country or even to acknowledge reality.

So if you want unity and healing, you are going to have to face the fact that you have been building this for decades. Then, you are going to have to accept responsibility and accountability. The following non-negotiable conditions would be a start.

Your President Must Go. Now. Resignation, the 25th Amendment, and impeachment and conviction are all acceptable methods. But the Leader of the Coup must go.

Ringleaders in Congress that have led the battle against the American system of government must also go. Again, now. At minimum, that means Brooks, Gohmert, and Jordan in the House, as well as Cruz, Hawley, and Tuberville in the Senate.

Except for representation by counsel in criminal and civil actions, you will provide no assistance to anyone in the mob that stormed the Capitol. They’re on their own.

You will disavow the conspiracy theories that you have been pushing without the tiniest morsel of credible evidence. Q and QAnon must go. Stop the Steal must recognize that you are the ones trying to steal the election. And we don’t want to hear any arguments that there’s any truth to those theories. You’ve had plenty of time and opportunity to offer credible evidence. It’s too late to pretend you have anything that we can believe.

That should do for a start. But even then, you’ll have a long way to go before we can trust you. It took you a long time to get the country to this point. Expect to spend a long time working your way to any kind of decent reputation.

Views: 146

Replies to This Discussion

Australia followed the Pommie system but it has also boiled down to two major parties The Liberals+ National party (LNP) (=GOP, conservatives.) and the Australian Labor Party ( ALP) but we also Have the Greens, The Australian Democrats and a plethora of many small parties which can be a real pain in the rear end  when voting for the senate more so for the Federal Senate especially when you decide to counting your preferences off from one to what ever number of candidates there on the ballot paper. 

The L(ying) N(asty) Party is actually a combination of liberals and the National party whose former name was the Country Party. So you can figure out  which is the party of the city slickers and the country yokels.

The ALP is very similar in political outlook as the English Labor party.
Our Greens have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot at times and they need to grow-up.

Plus we do have independents but how dependent they are depends on their personal political leanings left or right and also how much they are willing to sell themselves to either the left or right

Thanks for that crash course on Australian political parties! Interesting use of the word "Liberals" in the name of a party that's evidently anything but. Like all the "Family" somethingorother groups in the US that couldn't care less about familes that aren't their model of a conservative Christian man, a conservative Christian woman, and 2.5 kids in a house in the suburbs. And like all those dictatorships that style themselves People's Democratic Republics or some such. And like people saying "literally" when they mean "not literally, I'm just using a word to mean the opposite of what it means to emphasize and exaggerate something."

Related: "What it means when you say 'literally'" (The Oatmeal)

On American political party names, a sweetie of mine refuses to use "GOP", insisting there's nothing "Grand" about the "Old Party" also known as the Republican Party, or (my terms) Repuglicans, Rethuglicans, Republicons, or Republican'ts. Cheap name-calling, yes, but oh so deserved. And GOP has had a few unofficial but more accurate expansions such as Greedy Old Party and (under the influence of twice-impeached, twice-popular-vote-loser Don the Con) Grabbers Of Pussy.

Well I like your everyday descriptors for the republican party.
They just don't get it!What they have done over the last month or so wasn't making your Republic stronger or better but termiting its foundations.
The family parties in Auss are no different either to your lot.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service