Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Chris B, I understand about "missing audible clues. Laura gets very irritated with me because…"
3 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"I hate to see beautifully designed and expertly crafted building torn down for modern glass boxes!…"
23 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Complete waste of paper."
34 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I also put a little make up on every day. Languages are not my thing either. Yes, & I…"
36 minutes ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Everything Wrong With Exodus 1 in the Bible"
37 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Stephen Brodie   Prego! I hope this says "You're welcome" in Italian.…"
47 minutes ago
"Mrs.B. thanks for the music leads; I'll try them out. "
1 hour ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
" Joan. grazie mille per le idee. I'm trying to learn Italian for the millionth time.…"
1 hour ago
"Mrs.B. I know, we have been hunkering down a very long time. Do you remember the polio outbreaks,…"
1 hour ago
"My taste in music is huge, so I wouldn't know what to suggest. I have 60 cd channels [not…"
1 hour ago
"Mrs.B, thanks for your ideas! Do you have favorite music; I am not much of a listener to music and…"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Modern is not always better."
1 hour ago
"I do many of those.  Bake bread. Find a new recipe. Move to some music."
1 hour ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
" Doone. I remember that poster plastered on the wall near the Shaftesbury Avenue exit of…"
1 hour ago
"While hunkered down until CLOVID is under control, here are some options. Please add your…"
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ominous Scale of Environmental Erosion in the group Science!
"“Humanity is running an ecological Ponzi scheme in which society robs nature and future…"
1 hour ago
"Ian Mason, according to the article you shared, "To effectively stop the virus, the…"
2 hours ago
"We've been ''hunkered down hard'' for nearly 11 months, only going out for…"
2 hours ago
"Mrs.B, bad news about COVID-19 arriving in Williams Lake. I hope you prepared to hunker down really…"
2 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The rich are getting the lion's…"
2 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

This looks both interesting and nauseating; nauseating because of the utter superstion and nonsense that people are wont to believe in. -- Dallas

Trailer for the documentary Saint Death (La Santa Muerte), directed and produced by Eva Aridjis, narrated by Gael García Bernal, distributed by Seventh Art Releasing.

Film synopsis: In Mexico there is a cult that is rapidly growing- the cult of Saint Death. This female grim reaper, considered a saint by followers but Satanic by the Catholic Church, is worshipped by people whose lives are filled with danger and/or violence- criminals, gang members, transvestites, sick people, drug addicts, and families living in rough neighborhoods. "La Santa Muerte" examines the origins of the cult and takes us on a tour of the altars, jails, and neighborhoods in Mexico where the saint's most devoted followers can be found.

Purchase DVD at evaaridjis.com

Views: 253

Replies to This Discussion

I just can't believe it..  People must be desperate to find faith anywhere;  this utter nonsense seems pretty dangerous to meand I find it can be linked to satanic cults.

It makes more sense to worship death than the virgin Mary, because death does exist :-))

I wonder if this is not yet another conflation of some native deity with Catholic cults imposed by the Spanish conquerors. It seems so because in both Mayan and Aztec sculptures there are lots of representations of deities with skulls, etc. I should research it. I love it because the Catholic Church does not like it, obviously. The priest is an idiot, this is not a Satanic cult or anything like that. It is an simply an attempt to overcome the fear of death.

May not be that innocuous, though: 

Mexico Santa Muerte Murders: Nacozari 'Death Saint' Cult Sacrifices Lead Police To Investigate Family

The problem with these kinds of beliefs are that 1.) they're shrouded in misinformation and misunderstanding, both intentional and unintentional  and 2.) followers will cherry pick their beliefs, so ascertaining what they believe in or intend in their beliefs cannot be nailed down with any certainty. 

No irrational belief is ever innocuous, I agree. I was just commenting on the fact that it's not crazier than other stupid cults.

Lol. Exactly. 

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service