Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
" Doone. I remember that poster plastered on the wall near the Shaftesbury Avenue exit of…"
1 minute ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"While hunkered down until CLOVID is under control, here are some options. Please add your…"
6 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ominous Scale of Environmental Erosion in the group Science!
"“Humanity is running an ecological Ponzi scheme in which society robs nature and future…"
19 minutes ago
"Ian Mason, according to the article you shared, "To effectively stop the virus, the…"
52 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"We've been ''hunkered down hard'' for nearly 11 months, only going out for…"
56 minutes ago
"Mrs.B, bad news about COVID-19 arriving in Williams Lake. I hope you prepared to hunker down really…"
1 hour ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The rich are getting the lion's…"
1 hour ago
"Stay safe, everyone. DK has got off fairly lightly but we're locked down for the second time,…"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Wishing over birthday candles didn't even work 50% of the time...hahahahaha....."
1 hour ago
"All of it is too close. Your situation is worrisome too, Chris."
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe…"
7 hours ago
Randall Smith replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ominous Scale of Environmental Erosion in the group Science!
"Wow--I didn't know Paul Ehrlich was still alive! He has always been concerned about our…"
8 hours ago
Chris B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Thanks Joan! Bad hearing ran in my family, so I got a share of it and it gets worse as I get older.…"
10 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Chris B, I am very sorry to learn of your hearing problems, although you have told us before, I…"
11 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"A few neighbours (5 metres distance, same stairs, same lift) survived Covid, and we're still…"
12 hours ago
Chris B replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ominous Scale of Environmental Erosion in the group Science!
"I can't help thinking of this poem, but the far future might look a lot less romantic. There…"
13 hours ago
Chris B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"I'm sorry I can't follow many videos anymore. I try in quiet moments, put the subtitles…"
13 hours ago
"All within walking distance of our house."
13 hours ago
Chris B commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"But the names will be gone.."
13 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

This looks both interesting and nauseating; nauseating because of the utter superstion and nonsense that people are wont to believe in. -- Dallas

Trailer for the documentary Saint Death (La Santa Muerte), directed and produced by Eva Aridjis, narrated by Gael García Bernal, distributed by Seventh Art Releasing.

Film synopsis: In Mexico there is a cult that is rapidly growing- the cult of Saint Death. This female grim reaper, considered a saint by followers but Satanic by the Catholic Church, is worshipped by people whose lives are filled with danger and/or violence- criminals, gang members, transvestites, sick people, drug addicts, and families living in rough neighborhoods. "La Santa Muerte" examines the origins of the cult and takes us on a tour of the altars, jails, and neighborhoods in Mexico where the saint's most devoted followers can be found.

Purchase DVD at evaaridjis.com

Views: 253

Replies to This Discussion

I just can't believe it..  People must be desperate to find faith anywhere;  this utter nonsense seems pretty dangerous to meand I find it can be linked to satanic cults.

It makes more sense to worship death than the virgin Mary, because death does exist :-))

I wonder if this is not yet another conflation of some native deity with Catholic cults imposed by the Spanish conquerors. It seems so because in both Mayan and Aztec sculptures there are lots of representations of deities with skulls, etc. I should research it. I love it because the Catholic Church does not like it, obviously. The priest is an idiot, this is not a Satanic cult or anything like that. It is an simply an attempt to overcome the fear of death.

May not be that innocuous, though: 

Mexico Santa Muerte Murders: Nacozari 'Death Saint' Cult Sacrifices Lead Police To Investigate Family

The problem with these kinds of beliefs are that 1.) they're shrouded in misinformation and misunderstanding, both intentional and unintentional  and 2.) followers will cherry pick their beliefs, so ascertaining what they believe in or intend in their beliefs cannot be nailed down with any certainty. 

No irrational belief is ever innocuous, I agree. I was just commenting on the fact that it's not crazier than other stupid cults.

Lol. Exactly. 

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service