Feedback and Notes

No Gods or Scumps Allowed

Latest Activity

Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Oops"
3 minutes ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please!
"The Vatican is using donations for the poor to fight its budget deficit, report says As little as…"
22 minutes ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"They are so hateful in the name of love. it is confusing to say the least"
8 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"They are so hateful."
14 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Toronto shuts doors to anti-gay hate preacher David LynnPASTOR David Lynn, a vocal campaigner…"
14 hours ago
Stephen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"Why Does Enceladus Have Stripes at its South Pole? Saturn’s moon Enceladus has captivating…"
14 hours ago
Stephen commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Two Yanks at Stamford Bridge Chelsea's football stadium.  Christian Mate Pulisic is an…"
23 hours ago
"Second Lib Dem election candidate endorses vote for Labour rival for his seat on day before…"
23 hours ago
"Onyango. I've always thought we were different from our cousins in the USofA but I've…"
yesterday
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"In 2 days, Stephen, we will know whether your country folk are a different breed from your friends…"
yesterday
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
"The formation of human populations in South and Central Asia…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"He's been through a lot."
yesterday
"103 and not out. Happy birthday Kirk."
yesterday
"Just two more days to save Britain from Borass, Scump MkII. Look I know I'm an Atheist…"
yesterday
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Early Scumpians "
yesterday
Davy commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"The Universe is very complex  I wonder if the Universe is the large scale version of the…"
Tuesday
Stephen left a comment for Christine
"Heureux anniversaire.  bonne fête"
Tuesday
Stephen left a comment for aerie*
"Happy Birthday aerie* have a great day"
Tuesday
"You've got that right."
Tuesday
"There is one thing that Borass and Scump have in common is they both lack any empathy for other…"
Tuesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

ANOTHER OF the THREE,

RELIGION-FREE,

~WORLD WIDE~

***HOLIDAYS***

IS COMING AROUND!!!

THE SUMMER SOLCTICE!!!!!!!!!

JUNE 21ST

THE LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR!!

I suggest, all members of this website, plan to make PANCAKES that morning, to represent the sun making it's longest appearance of the entire year.

Spread the word, all atheists should eat pancakes on June 21st.

WHAT ARE YOUR SUMMER SOLTICE TRADITIONS OR CUSTOMS?

HOW WILL YOU CELEBRATE THIS CELESTIAL EVENT??

Views: 1847

Replies to This Discussion

DAWG. those DO sound good.

so far as i can tell, PANCAKES, in one form or another, are eaten all over the world.

wow, i'd love to see a stonehenge replica.

LIke i was just saying about Newgrange, i am so amazed they could even spot the exact day of Solstice way back then.  *I* couldn't. (<----that's not saying much, ha ha, but, i'm always impressed they could, so so long ago.)

If you look at the bottom of the wikipedia page you will see links for all kinds of pancakes.

Æbleskiver • Appam • Bánh cuốn • Bánh xèo • Bannock • Blintz • Boûkète • Boxty • Cachapa • Chalboribbang • Chapati • Chataamari • Chinese pancake • Crempog • Crêpe • Dosa • Dutch baby pancake •Eggette • Farinata • Flädle • Fläskpannkaka • Funkaso • Galette • Hirayachi • Hortobágyi palacsinta • Injera • Jeon • Jonnycake • Khanom bueang • Memela • Memiljeon • Mofletta • Murtabak • Nalesniki • Oatcake •Okonomiyaki • Palatschinke • Pannekoek • Pathiri • Pesarattu • Ploye • Poffertjes • Potato pancake • Quarkkäulchen • Rava dosa • Roti prata • Sel roti • Socca • Spring pancake • Suncake • Serabi • Thalipeeth •Tlacoyo • Touton • Uttapam

According to some estimates there are about forty calendars used in the world today

Are You Ready For The Yummy Pancakes :P

Here you go...

Pancakes
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏
{Recipe for pancakes serves 4}

Ingredients:
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏
•2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred or sifted before measuring
•2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
•3 tablespoons granulated sugar
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•2 large eggs
•1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
•2 tablespoons melted butter

Preparation:
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏
Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of milk; add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Blend in melted butter. If the batter seems too thick to pour, add a little more milk. Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbly, a little dry around the edges, and lightly browned on the bottom; turn and brown the other side.

*Note: It can be used as a hat :)

//   *Note: It can be used as a hat :)     //

rofl!!

Happy Midsummer, everybody! Aalesund, Norway, where the folks responsible* for this excellent bonfire live, is not far from the Spousal Unit’s ancestral acres in Nordfjordeid. Traditionally, the celebration of the summer solstice is a fertility festival (aren’t they all?), with a secondary, spring-cleaning aspect involving burning the detritus and leftover grievances of the past year and looking forward to a ripe summer of abundance. We can but hope.

* By certain Viking-influenced measures of ‘responsible’; notice the safety harnesses on the builders, and the fact that it’s on a tiny islet by itself instead of the beach proper.
Norse http://www.balloon-juice.com/2011/06/20/midsummer-night-open-thread/

5,000 Years Of Celebrating The Sun

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/220/cache/first-day-summer-solstice-2010-fire-breathing_22051_600x450.jpg

A History of Summer Solstice Celebrations

The Huffington Post First Posted: 06-21-11

From the festival of madness to the festival of love, from harvest celebrations to a day of religious observance, the summer solstice has worn many hats. The one thing binding all those different avatars together, though, is that the day is supposed to remind us of nature's awesome power. It's a testimony to the vastness of the universe, to the strength of the sun and to our incredible insignificance.

Stonehenge: 3000 B.C.E. - 1500 B.C.E.

Despite the speculation around the purpose of Stonehenge, there is one thing we are certain of: At the dawn of every summer solstice, people gather at the site to watch the sun rise above the aptly named "sun-stone." For centuries, Druids, Wiccans and other neo-pagan groups have gathered to celebrate the solstice at Stonehenge. These celebrations draw from the unique construction and history of the site: There is a celestial observatory, the aforementioned sun-stone and an avenue that might have been used as a procession route on the longest and shortest days of the year.
The Advent of Christianity: 300 A.D.

After the conversion of Europe to Christianity, the feast day of St. John the Baptist was set as June 24th. It is one of the oldest feasts introduced to honor a saint Curiously, the feast is held on the alleged date of his birth, while other Christian saints' days are observed on the anniversary of their death. His feast day is offset a few days after the summer solstice, just as Christmas is fixed a few days after the winter solstice, and many believe that it was created to draw attention away from the pagan celebrations around the solstice.
Slavic Celebrations: 400 A.D. - 700 A.D.

Ancient pagans celebrated midsummer with bonfires. It was believed that the crops would grow as high as couples were able to jump across the fires. Through the fire's power, "maidens would find out about their future husband, and spirits and demons were banished," says Ruth Reichmann of the Max Kade German-American Center. Another function of bonfires was to generate magic. It was hoped that it would give a boost to the sun's energy so that it would remain powerful throughout the rest of the growing season and guarantee a good harvest.
Present Day Celebrations
4 of 5

There are many solstice observances held by New Age and neo-pagan groups throughout the world today. In the U.K., an organization known as English Heritage provides managed open access to Stonehenge for the June solstice.

In some parts of the United States, local festivals featuring art, music and environmental awareness activities that focus on using natural sunlight as a source of energy are held.

In northern European countries such as Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden, the midsummer festival is one of the most widespread summer festivities. Midsummer festivals generally celebrate the summer and the fertility of the earth. In Sweden and many parts of Finland people dance around maypoles. Bonfires are lit and homes are decorated with flower garlands, greenery and tree branches.

I like Cakes more!... 

Especially Bluberry Mug Cake

I myself have a liking for large English Pancakes served during Lent, or as we preferred to call it Pancake day. A Drizzle of Lemon or my favourite Strawberry Jam 

I like pancakes, with butter, & tinned pears in their own juice, blended with cinnamon as a syrup.

Unusual Pancakes 

Image result for pancake unusual"

Cute, but I can't fuss with my food. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service