Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I am now convinced that children should not be subjected to the frightfulness of the Christian…"
14 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"There’s a gap in my education; I haven’t yet seen Religulous (except for the closing…"
18 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Adriana's discussion Your adorable kitty is a ruthless killer of wildlife in the group Atheist Cat Servants
"Occasionally I do fantasize about "procreation licenses" being required to make a baby.…"
19 hours ago
Chris B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Haha, the preacher can barely keep his story together - now you see why they like intellectually…"
21 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Sarah Smith
""Happy Birthday!""
21 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Adriana's discussion Your adorable kitty is a ruthless killer of wildlife in the group Atheist Cat Servants
"My spayed 100% indoor cat threatens no wildlife!"
23 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Oh such logic."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTM: Religion Makes People Stupid, Todd Friel Part 2"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Fantastic quote."
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I'll tell you what you did with Atheists for about 1500 years. You outlawed them from the…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Stephen Brodie's group A Woman's right to choose
"How I hate those ways to keep women where they want them! Reminds me of the enforced poverty some…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Kami
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You've shown it on AN, Loren, but thanks again!"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Loren I'm pretty sure you've shown it before but that doesn't matter because I…"
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"So cute & made me tear up too. I've seen it a few times & reacted the same way each…"
Wednesday
Mrs.B commented on Stephen Brodie's group A Woman's right to choose
"Despicable attitudes."
Wednesday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I own that movie."
Wednesday
Loren Miller commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that I hadn't shared this with the gang here before…"
Wednesday
Loren Miller commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"What happened?  More like what DIDN'T happen, which is to say, our defense.  The…"
Wednesday
Stephen Brodie commented on Stephen Brodie's group A Woman's right to choose
"Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has been accused of showing “contempt for the…"
Wednesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

OK. I know there aren't or isn't any god(s) out there but if there was, and going back through history, if you could choose to pick a group of them or just one to be real, which would you choose? You can even make up your of own. Give it some thought and come back later if you don't have an answer to this now. I am just trying to spark your imagination with this one. For me it would probably be the Norse gods. Their stories are just cool and one even became a comic book hero. Take that Christianity. I don't see Jesus in any Marvel Comics.

Just looking at Thor you know you wouldn't want to anger him. Plus, to me, he looks cool.

Views: 212

Replies to This Discussion

I do love Ganesha as well and have a little wooden Ganesha statue I bought in an Indian arts and craft story in NYC. I like his trident and what it symbolizes.

I pick Athena! We could definitively use a god(ess) who was all about wisdom and reason and knowledge!

Any Sun deity, pick your edition.
That's what came the closest to what really has dominion upon us. 

I pick

Huitzilopochtli

Because it's fun trying to pronounce his name! 

You got me with that one. Too many letters crammed into one name that look like someone was drunk when they wrote it out.

Peyote, perhaps?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UkS-%2B6UYL.jpg

From Publishers Weekly

Titans clash, but with more fuss than fury in this fantasy demi-epic from the author of Neverwhere. The intriguing premise of Gaiman's tale is that the gods of European yore, who came to North America with their immigrant believers, are squaring off for a rumble with new indigenous deities: "gods of credit card and freeway, of Internet and telephone, of radio and hospital and television, gods of plastic and of beeper and of neon." They all walk around in mufti, disguised as ordinary people, which causes no end of trouble for 32-year-old protagonist Shadow Moon, who can't turn around without bumping into a minor divinity. Released from prison the day after his beloved wife dies in a car accident, Shadow takes a job as emissary for Mr. Wednesday, avatar of the Norse god Grimnir, unaware that his boss's recruiting trip across the American heartland will subject him to repeat visits from the reanimated corpse of his dead wife and brutal roughing up by the goons of Wednesday's adversary, Mr. World. At last Shadow must reevaluate his own deeply held beliefs in order to determine his crucial role in the final showdown. Gaiman tries to keep the magical and the mundane evenly balanced, but he is clearly more interested in the activities of his human protagonists: Shadow's poignant personal moments and the tale's affectionate slices of smalltown life are much better developed than the aimless plot, which bounces Shadow from one episodic encounter to another in a design only the gods seem to know. Mere mortal readers will enjoy the tale's wit, but puzzle over its strained mythopoeia. (One-day laydown, June 19)Forecast: Even when he isn't in top form, Gaiman, creator of the acclaimed Sandman comics series, trumps many storytellers. Momentously titled, and allotted a dramatic one-day laydown with a 12-city author tour, his latest will appeal to fans and attract mainstream review coverage for better or for worse because of the rich possibilities of its premise.

ON AMAZON:

Thoth

Appearance:

• A man with the head of an ibis holding a writing palette
  • An ibis
  • A baboon

Thoth was the god of writing and knowledge.

The ancient Egyptians believed that Thoth gave them the gift of hieroglyphic writing. Thoth was also connected with the moon.

Thoth amulet
Thoth amulet

That is a fine book!
Very weird tale. 

Me! 

Thor, Frigg, Aphrodite, Hermes,Ahura Mazdā. Baiame.

Thor as he is the Norse god of thunder.

Frigg and Aphrodite as they were the goddesses of Love,

Hermes the messenger,

Ahura Mazdā because His name means Light and Wisdom.

Baiame, my peoples god who created the Australian landscape.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service