Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Stephen Brodie commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Randall I knew I was talking to a proper sports fan. It's like looking into a mirror. I…"
50 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Odd, that."
4 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Sold my 1950's baseball card collection  the other day--all 3000+ cards. A dealer bought…"
10 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I see Atheists are fighting and killing each other again, over who doesn't believe in any God…"
10 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Green Gardening
"It's still cool for the time of year, but our roof garden got a good soak from a week of rain.…"
17 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You can't beat live music, and to listen to an orchestra is wonderful."
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You DEMAND we open our border???!!! How about you get your case numbers down to zero first, &…"
21 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Yes Randall Chelsea have reached both the national FA Cup final and the best is they have…"
yesterday
"Oh you must have had a great time Ian!!! I LOVE Rhapsody In Blue!!!"
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"This evening the first symphony orchestra concert for months. A pleasant pot pourri of short pieces…"
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"This evening the first symphony orchestra concert for months. A pleasant pot pourri of short pieces…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Yes, right on point."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Green Gardening
"Rick has a few things started for the greenhouse, but it's not usually safe here until the end…"
yesterday
"Well SOMEBODY needs to have some fun!"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"So many unnecessary terms."
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Sydni Moser's group Green Gardening
"Despite the abnormally chilly temps we've been having, the garden is looking good. Asparagus…"
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Chelsea in the finals! Go team go!"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Tracie says it SO VERY WELL."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"My Nieces lovely dog Comet went to one of his park buddies birthday party and had a smashing time.…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"The N and the P are clear, but I don't know who are called the Y."
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

A friend sent me this animated GIF.

1) Count the number of characters before the motion begins.

2) Watch the animation.

3) Count the number of characters after the animation ends.

4) Explain it to me... please!

Views: 259

Replies to This Discussion

It hurts.

It fucking does!!!
Where does the 13th fellow come from ?!?!?

The 5 on the right is always the same, the only row that changes is the second.

Sure.

At A) you have five on the right, two in the middle, and five on the left.

but at B) you still have five on the right, still two in the middle, but six on the left!

WTF?

13 before and 12 after! Someone is lost here! Where is he? :D

Haha! I don't know! It's an illusion O_o

OK - I know - well not quite but I think I've figured something =)

And it's incredibly clever. I have no idea how they came up with this... and I had to use brute force to figure what they do, not intelligent deduction. I tracked just the heads and feet.

It's all in the way they position each figure along the horizontal split line. in A The line cuts twelve different body parts on each figure. When they reconstitute the image in B, each has shrunk by a twelfth of its height and  - thanks to the even cleverer vertical positioning of the figures - a thirteenth fellow pops out of nowhere.

Click to enlarge

I clearly don't understand how they achieved that in the first place but I still think it's just plain awesome. 

Well first, you are a master at graphics and two it is really awesome. I couldn't get that far. I thought it has to do with the legs and heads but I couldn't explain beyond that.

Like I said, I can barely explain it myself. I have no idea how the thirteenth guy visually gets his twelve body parts, as they don't move independently.

That's pretty much the limit of my non-math method =/

And I'm almost certain that if someone was to explain to me how it's done, I wouldn't get it.

I missed this yesterday :-( Too busy. I commend you on your approach, Michel, I was going to do the empirical thing to do which is label the heads and the feet. What is happening is that you are moving a row of 3 into a row of two, but the original row of 3 from which the "13th" guy moves, does not change from 3 to 2 because the front guy never moves. 

One of the characters are being "split in two" in the animation, which is how you go from 12 to 13 characters.

The animation breaks the original image into 3 parts, then re-assembles them. When the image splits, each person is either split into 2 parts, or left intact.

If they're left intact, then they can't change the number of people in the image no matter where you move them. So we can ignore them.

So, in the animation, some people are split in two.

In order to preserve the number of people before and after the animation, the pieces must be assembled such that each "half" of a person must be connected to exactly one other "half" of a person.

But this isn't the case.

Look at the image when there are 12 people in it - specifically, at the smiling man in the black tanktop toward the top right.

When the image splits, the bottom of his feet is split off.

When the image re-assembles, he isn't attached to any other part of a person - his feet are just missing a piece. But because that piece is small (and the drawing quality is already dodgy), it's easy to overlook. So while someone else is being attached to his feet, he's being set apart on his own - and so we have an extra character.

This is easy to demonstrate, if you're so inclined:

If you have an image editor, make every person a different color. At the end of the animation, everyone who was split in "half" and re-assembled should be two colors - but this guy will only be one.

Or, print out the image when there are 12 people in it - and cut it into 3 pieces, like with the animation, but make the horizontal cut somewhere other than where it happens in the animation. It becomes clearer that he's missing "half" of him.

Can I brag, please? Half of this commenter's DNA is MINE. He came up with this answer in 10-15 minutes. Clearest explanation ever. *end of my shameless bragging*

Must of been Nail's half that solved the problem. =)

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service