Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Stephen Brodie commented on RichardtheRaelian's photo
Thumbnail

indigenous peoples day

"Raelians believe we were created by aliens (Elohim) To me that's just as delusional as…"
2 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian posted a photo
2 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian commented on RichardtheRaelian's photo
Thumbnail

indigenous peoples day

"Hello Stephen! If your reading these words I would just like to point out that the Raelian movement…"
3 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I am now convinced that children should not be subjected to the frightfulness of the Christian…"
20 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"There’s a gap in my education; I haven’t yet seen Religulous (except for the closing…"
yesterday
Grinning Cat replied to Adriana's discussion Your adorable kitty is a ruthless killer of wildlife in the group Atheist Cat Servants
"Occasionally I do fantasize about "procreation licenses" being required to make a baby.…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Haha, the preacher can barely keep his story together - now you see why they like intellectually…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Sarah Smith
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Adriana's discussion Your adorable kitty is a ruthless killer of wildlife in the group Atheist Cat Servants
"My spayed 100% indoor cat threatens no wildlife!"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Oh such logic."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTM: Religion Makes People Stupid, Todd Friel Part 2"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Fantastic quote."
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I'll tell you what you did with Atheists for about 1500 years. You outlawed them from the…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Stephen Brodie's group A Woman's right to choose
"How I hate those ways to keep women where they want them! Reminds me of the enforced poverty some…"
Thursday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Kami
""Happy Birthday!""
Thursday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You've shown it on AN, Loren, but thanks again!"
Thursday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Loren I'm pretty sure you've shown it before but that doesn't matter because I…"
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"So cute & made me tear up too. I've seen it a few times & reacted the same way each…"
Wednesday
Mrs.B commented on Stephen Brodie's group A Woman's right to choose
"Despicable attitudes."
Wednesday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I own that movie."
Wednesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Christopher Hitchens reminds us how to make a decent cup of tea

I figured everyone will be saddened today, so in Hitch's spirit, I thought I'd remind you that life goes on, he had a full life, a good life, and to celebrate his taste for good food and drink, here's a beautifully written, witty, piece, very Hitchens, on how to make a cup of tea. I'm as finicky as he was, with tea. I will have a good cup of tea today in his memory.

How To Make a Decent Cup of Tea

Ignore Yoko Ono and John Lennon, and heed George Orwell's tea-making advice.

Take a look at a Magnum Photos gallery on  British teatime

Woman making tea.
There are rules to making a proper cup of tea.

Now that "the holidays"—at their new-style Ramadan length, with the addition of Hanukkah plus the spur and lash of commerce—are safely over, I can bear to confront the moment at their very beginning when my heart took its first dip. It was Dec. 8, and Yoko Ono had written a tribute to mark the 30th anniversary of the murder of her husband. In her New York Times op-ed, she recalled how the two of them would sometimes make tea together. He used to correct her method of doing so, saying, "Yoko, Yoko, you're supposed to first put the tea bags in, and then the hot water." (This she represented as his Englishness speaking, in two senses, though I am sure he would actually have varied the word order and said "put the tea bags in first.") This was fine, indeed excellent, and I was nodding appreciatively, but then the blow fell. One evening, he told her that an aunt had corrected him. The water should indeed precede the bags. "So all this time, we were doing it wrong?" she inquired. "Yeah," replied our hero, becoming in that moment a turncoat to more than a century of sturdy Liverpool tradition.

I simply hate to think of the harm that might result from this. It is already virtually impossible in the United States, unless you undertake the job yourself, to get a cup or pot of tea that tastes remotely as it ought to. It's quite common to be served a cup or a pot of water, well off the boil, with the tea bags lying on an adjacent cold plate. Then comes the ridiculous business of pouring the tepid water, dunking the bag until some change in color occurs, and eventually finding some way of disposing of the resulting and dispiriting tampon surrogate. The drink itself is then best thrown away, though if swallowed, it will have about the same effect on morale as a reading of the memoirs of President James Earl Carter.

Now, imagine that tea, like coffee, came without a bag (as it used to do—and still does if you buy a proper tin of it). Would you consider, in either case, pouring the hot water, letting it sit for a bit, and then throwing the grounds or the leaves on top? I thought not. Try it once, and you will never repeat the experience, even if you have a good strainer to hand. In the case of coffee, it might just work if you are quick enough, though where would be the point? But ground beans are heavier and denser, and in any case many good coffees require water that is just fractionally off the boil. Whereas tea is a herb (or an herb if you insist) that has been thoroughly dried. In order for it to release its innate qualities, it requires to be infused. And an infusion, by definition, needs the water to be boiling when it hits the tea. Grasp only this, and you hold the root of the matter.

Read the rest here.

Views: 299

Replies to This Discussion

Infusion - a good word

Wow, I never knew the differences between the different processing but I do enjoy different kinds of tea. Right now I've made myself a decent cup of tea, like Hitch would say. Not great, but decent. 

Life is good, enjoy it while it lasts. No worries about an afterlife. Thank you, Hitch for having said that very clearly to everyone even in the midst of brutal treatments. 

I hadn't realized Hitchens was a tea drinker but I should have...

By the way, Doone, you must also be a tea drinker by knowing all these ways to process different types of tea leaves !

When I was in London, qute a long time ago (early 80's) with mostly working class people, they didn't know how to make proper tea which is quite ironic !

I will often have a thought for Hitchens when I drink oa good cup of tea...

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service