Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Onyango Makagutu commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Joan, this sounds like Ivan talking to Aloysha or is it the old priest advising the young penitent.…"
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
""Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie…"
3 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Amanda Marcotte"
3 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
""Probing the Dark Universe" - A Lecture by Dr. Josh Frieman"
3 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I think I'll see if I can read that book."
9 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Another important book was Piri Thomas's Down These Mean Streets."
9 hours ago
"If we fail to remember or can no longer remember the stories of our ancestors, that wisdom cannot…"
9 hours ago
"Davy, I am very sorry you were not able to sit down with your elders and hear their stories, see…"
9 hours ago
"I had two years of exposure to Black students in a Washington, D.C. housing project and was able to…"
9 hours ago
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Just a little something Awabakal/ Awabaghal  means People of the plain. I think that the plain…"
15 hours ago
"Stephen I do not expect you to feel ashamed of who you are for you did not carry out the events of…"
16 hours ago
"I think there has been some misunderstanding to my last post about my Mother.It was My…"
16 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
"Interesting,  indeed. Thanks, Davy."
20 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Adam Savage's appearance at the 2012 Reason Rally was, to me, among the genuine highlights of…"
22 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You had a very brave mother, Davy. The way Europeans have treated other humans beings around the…"
yesterday
"Davy, I'm sorry to learn of the many challenges your mother faced. She had to have courage and…"
yesterday
Onyango Makagutu commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Davy i like your mama. That took a lot of courage and you have turned out well for yourself. A lot…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Nice bike ride."
yesterday
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"So they are totally unable to get a true general picture of their subject.."
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That's a horrible story, Davy, and she worked against a lot raising so many children! Life is…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Some of nature's most fascinating fathers may be at risk of extinction.

Male Darwin's frogs swallow their offspring in the tadpole stage, incubate their young in their vocal sacs, and eventually spit out fully developed froglets. Along with seahorses, the frogs are thought to be the only known living vertebrates in which dads take on baby-carrying duties with special sacs that make them look pregnant.

But new research shows that these unique creatures may be vanishing as their habitats in Chile's temperate forests are destroyed.

Shrinking range

Charles Darwin first discovered the frogs while traveling in Chile in 1834. Scientists who later studied the mouth-brooding animals found that there are actually two species, naming one Rhinoderma darwinii (Darwin's frog) and the other Rhinoderma rufum (Chile Darwin's frog).

From 2008 to 2012, a team of researchers led by zoologist Claudio Soto-Azat surveyed 223 sites in the frogs' historical range, from the coastal city of Valparaíso south to an area just beyond Chiloé Island. R. rufum has not been seen in the wild since 1980, and despite the recent extensive search effort across every recorded location of the species, no individuals were seen or heard during the four-year survey, the researchers said. R. darwinii,meanwhile, was found in 36 sites, but only in fragmented and small populations, each with likely less than 100 individuals.

The findings suggest Darwin's frogs have disappeared from, or at least rapidly declined in, many locations where they were recently abundant, the researchers wrote in a paper published online June 12 in the journal PLOS ONE. Habitat loss and fragmentation may be the culprits. [continue]

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

Bring in the dogs!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service