3 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Richard Levison's photo
Thumbnail

hollow_earth

"Oh, dear. Richard, you've totally lost me."
5 hours ago
Loren Miller posted a blog post

On Losing the Naïveté: Confronting Unreality

Something which does not exist cannot help us, but chronic dependence on something which fails to…See More
6 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
""Without the gods, how would I sing?" I asked."With your own voice," he said.…"
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Ash rain on our daughter's car...."
22 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"and I want to point out his sexist, racist proclivities. "
23 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The photos and narrative about Ribe Cathedral tell fascinating stories of its long history.…"
23 hours ago
"Oh, we know Yahweh is malevolent, Joan.  Dawkins covered that very well in one sentence. …"
yesterday
"Loren, you and Dawkins have it right on target! I would…"
yesterday
"If it turns out that there is a God, I don’t think that he’s evil. But the worst that…"
yesterday
Richard Levison posted a photo

hollow_earth

If we can find atheist ET's in the cosmos like the Elohim why not in the hollow Earth.
yesterday
Chris B commented on Adriana's group Science!
"It's everyday mysogyny as we've all experienced it. I'm glad Jocelyn Bell had…"
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thank you for your kind words about us. A little romance can blossom even at our age."
yesterday
yesterday
"Its age has made Ribe a main tourist attraction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribe"
yesterday
"Faith is mental poison! It kills thinking cells and prohibits positive change. "
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Ian, that photo of you and Elna is a treasure! You look so vibrant and alive. The connected homes…"
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Adriana's group Science!
"Stephen,  Jocelyn Bell Burnell's story is so much like the women of my generation. I was…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Science!
"Chris B the only solace from this story of misogyny is I believe things are slowly…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Do you wish your stay on earth will be as long as possible, and that medicine will make tremendous leaps allowing you to live longer whilst  keeping your faculties intact ?

Do you believe that whilst you are on earth, you can change things or ideas in a significant way (it's obvious to me that in smaller ways, you will affect things around and near you) ?

Do you see death as having no importance at all, being kind of almost irrelevant...  when it happens, it will happen ?

Do you fear death, even if it's just a little bit ?

This topic really interests me as to how people view death and their mortality and I would really like to get some kind of feed-back...

For me, death is pretty irrelevant and it will happen when it will;I don't feel I have any influence on that except to maintain my body in the best of shape.  I don't fear death...

Views: 670

Replies to This Discussion

I don't fear death either, but it really pisses me off that I just begin to get a few things figured out, and the ride's over.

I'm with you on that one Arch. You finally found what you have been seeking all your life for! Only to realise you have one foot in the grave and that you will leave someone with just memories to comfort them instead of your physical reality.:-(

And sadly, those memories last for only a generation or two. My children have no idea, except through my second-hand stories, what an incredible man my grandfather was, and when I go, the last, first-hand memory of him will go with me.

Actually Arch in around about way I was referring to the yin of my yang and her memories of the yang of her yin!

But now, thanks to technology, who you are can be preserved as long as desired. When my mother passed, I still had her voice recorded on an answering machine. I captured that with a mic and turned it digital, now I can hear her voice whenever I want, and so can my descendants.

First hand memories can end, but writings and thoughts are easily saved these days. Easier than in the past. Vocal, video, etc; all easily accomplished.

Yes! That is true. 

But as time and a generation pass the emotions that are attached to the visual and audio memories fade away and the recordings just become another piece of evidence of the past with no emotional attachment to it what so ever, it becomes cold and clinical.

Sort of like these Deaguerreotypes I have of [my family (?)  from the1840's (?)]

The fact is that almost everyone is meaningless in a surprisingly short amount of time.

While my body was producing testosterone, life was less calm than either before or after.

However, those many orgasms were a lot of fun.

im no scared of dying. im all packed and ready to go. its wierd to me that most believers seem to think dying is such a big deal, and judging by all the tears, something to be avoided, even tho they profess to believe that the dead one will go to paradise.

Well, I'd like to see how my wife, daughter, children, great-grandchildren, and friends make out and I can't do that by dying. I know I won't care after I've died, but right now I want no part of it.

If I could remain alert & healthy - I would want to live forever.  Of course.  Or at least for a long time.  See the lyrics to Lord Huron's song The Man Who Lives Forever.  Is this option likely?  No.  Even extending human life significantly seems very remote in the foreseeable future.  Not a concern or a dream.  And certainly no afterlife.

Do I fear death?  No.  Just fade to black. 

What I fear is the possibility of being in extreme pain, or slowly losing control over my body, my mind and my choices in life.  I fear that I will be prevented from ending my life if I decide it is no longer worth living due to illness, disease, Alzheimer's, etc.  Want to die in my sleep, or after having a good laugh, during a loving caress. 

Brian,what you fear I also fear especially Alzheimer's as both my pop and his daughter my mother suffered from this disease and it is painful to see someone you love who was bright and intelligent become virtually a vegetable!
And like you, the way you would like your existent to end I too would like it to end that way peacefully in the company of the one I love if she is still alive otherwise after a good laugh thinking about her and the things we shared together!   

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service