7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"It's insulting."
8 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"And some of your governors demanding that our borders open!"
8 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"I don't know whether or not any of you have ever run onto the "Useless Box" idea,…"
8 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
""I love the poorly educated." Probably one of the most heinous remarks I've ever…"
10 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Let's be real here. For the most part, "Godly Wisdom" = BULLSHIT, plain and simple.…"
15 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"... when people on the right talk about “freedom” what they actually mean is closer to…"
15 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Usually whenever i see someone talk of worldly and godly wisdom i wonder how do they access the…"
15 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Those scare quotes around "educated" made me think how some/many religions (and other…"
20 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Nice one Joan, succinct and to the point as usual."
20 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Richard Levison's photo
Thumbnail

Arcturian

"Richard, are you sure you are an atheist? Because you've got to expect some criticism for…"
20 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Terry, it is wonderful to see your post! I hope all is well with you.  I would reply to god,…"
21 hours ago
""Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received…"
21 hours ago
Terence Meaden commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Very good Stephen, and I expect you know how Bertrand Russell responded if he found himself being…"
yesterday
"Apostate Prophet If I die, and Islam turns out to be true, and I stand before Allah, I will say…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Yeah, & they don't want that to happen."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Ain't that the truth."
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Do you wish your stay on earth will be as long as possible, and that medicine will make tremendous leaps allowing you to live longer whilst  keeping your faculties intact ?

Do you believe that whilst you are on earth, you can change things or ideas in a significant way (it's obvious to me that in smaller ways, you will affect things around and near you) ?

Do you see death as having no importance at all, being kind of almost irrelevant...  when it happens, it will happen ?

Do you fear death, even if it's just a little bit ?

This topic really interests me as to how people view death and their mortality and I would really like to get some kind of feed-back...

For me, death is pretty irrelevant and it will happen when it will;I don't feel I have any influence on that except to maintain my body in the best of shape.  I don't fear death...

Views: 670

Replies to This Discussion

It's not a brain transplant. Repair of cellular damage is what will be needed for the procedure to be successful.

I'm certain the "out of time" adjustment would be a bit difficult but well worth the effort, again, compared to the alternative.

People are dying right now and our population is still exploding. Plus there is the issue of the boredom that will eventually set in.

This will only happen to people like you and me when we have discovered free energy and the costs of such a procedure will not be be an issue anymore. Until then only the Romneys of the world will be able to afford it.

And I vote against that.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I find the cryonics article on RationalWiki to be spot on. I'm not opposed to people spending their money on getting frozen, everyone should do what they want with their money; what I'm opposed to is using currently scarce public research money on unproven hypotheses. As for private money, it's a free world. According to the article, there is not much private money flowing to the field. 

Isn't every new procedure an unproven hypotheses until it finally comes to fruition?

Yes, I do fully realize that there currently are no scientific procedures to make this process in full a certainty. I also realize that there very well might never be. That, of coarse, sucks but that's the way it is. There's no way to predict the future. I know it's a huge gamble and utilizes Pascal's wager in a way but still contend it's better than the absolute certainty of doing nothing. I find the suggestion that it's "faith" or vain hope for a "miracle" to be offensive. Those two terms refer to an illogical hope for something to happen with absolutely no scientific possibility of it doing so. There ,at least, is a possibility, even how slim it might be, of the proper technologies developing sufficiently for cryonics to be successful.

As it is now it's still very much a pipe dream for myself being that I'm far from wealthy and not ever certain that I'll be even able to afford to "get on the list" so to say. It's an atrocity that people's existence depends on a bunch of worthless paper and numbers stored electronically in accounts. Capitalism is as much of a cancer to humanity as religion is.

At it's worst you would come back like this

I'm afraid if I have to continue the bumby road I have travelled so far for eternity, however great in the abstract or for somebody else life is, I opting out when my time here is over....

I really don't understand the willingness to let it end but I guess it's a personal decision for everyone to make. My current situation might not be that great but that makes me more determined to stick around for a better future. We all know how things in the world should be and how it would make life infinitely better. I want to be around when everyone else figures it out and get to enjoy it instead of just dreaming about it and getting pissed.

Somehow, the search for immortality reminds me ofthe famous Dorian Gray's Syndrome... He never wanted to age so let alone die...

Dorian Gray Syndrome (DGS) denotes a cultural and societal phenomenon characterized by extreme pride in one's own appearance accompanied by difficulties coping with the aging process and with the requirements of maturation. Sufferers of Dorian Gray Syndrome may be heavy users of cosmetic medical procedures and products in an attempt to preserve their youth. Dorian Gray Syndrome is not recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV).

The name alludes to Oscar Wilde’s famous novel The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I believe that as we are born, we already start the processus towards the  end...

Absolutely. In fact Iron Maiden had a line in the song entitled The Clairvoyant from the album Seventh Son of a Seventh Son that states "That as soon as you're born you're dying". :)  Great album by the way.

Mark Twain once wrote:

I don't fear death. I was dead for millions of years before I was born, and I don't see that it inconvenienced me any.

pax vobiscum,
archaeopteryx

See my comment somewhere above that states that a person wasn't dead before birth. You just didn't exist yet. Fertilization, cellular growth, etc had never occurred. Until that moment you never were. That line of thought where existence before birth suggests the "spirit" proposition that so many religions try to pass off. So of coarse you can not remember anything before birth.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service