Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Loren is knowledgeable about these things, you might ask him."
12 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"If these make-believe gods of every strip emerge from the imaginations of the human mind, then it…"
12 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks anyway. I'll do some reading up on the problem."
16 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"“When gods die, self-respect buds”, murmured Orland Fank. “Gods and their…"
19 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I'm sorry, not me. I just hope everything keeps on working, because I'm unable to find…"
23 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Not me, never tried connecting my technologies to one another.....Blue Tooth throws me for a loop."
23 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Help! Can anyone help me with a technical problem? For quite some time I've connected my…"
23 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Atheist Morality
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Stephen Brodie's video
Thumbnail

R I P Chuck Berry

"Chuck Berry was a giant in the music business "
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian commented on Stephen Brodie's video
Thumbnail

R I P Chuck Berry

"Hi! I liked his music from hearing it in the back to the future movie he will be sorely missed."
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"I've heard of Catholic funeral masses for miscarriages, so at least that barbaric philosophy…"
yesterday
Mrs.B replied to Loren Miller's discussion CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Whatever happened to protecting our kids, & keeping them safe?"
yesterday
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Yeah ... me, too. [smh]"
yesterday
Mrs.B replied to Loren Miller's discussion CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
yesterday
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Freethought and Funny Bones
Thumbnail

CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers)

Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian, has been well known to make observations regarding the…See More
yesterday
Markie Isabella Strange replied to Jacqueline Little's discussion Why? in the group Atheist Morality
"Myth is easy to sell and hard to give up. Even in the secular world, we have mythology that gives…"
yesterday
Markie Isabella Strange added a discussion to the group Atheist Morality
yesterday
Markie Isabella Strange commented on Adriana's group Atheist Morality
"The Multi/Uni-verse doesn't have objective morality, in the wild murder is okay and normal and…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The truth belongs to those who seek it, not to those who claim to own it. -- Nicolas de Caritat…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I like IF very much, Stephen!"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

My computer, your computer, everybody's computer.

We all use computers, well, at least on this website. They are now simple transparent appliances that we have learned to use for simple applications. Email, news, shopping, learning, friends. To the point where we don't think of our computers as A machine, but as multiple extensions of our lives, as more ways to interact with people, markets and knowledge.

Computers have become invisible so to speak. Black boxes that do stuff we need them to do. Until something goes wrong...

I'm curious as to what are your experiences with your computer. Are you a nerd in love with your machine? A geek who handles all machines with equal no-braining? A comfortable tech-savy dilettante? Or scared shitless by the opacity, apparent fragility and sheer numbers of buttons?

Is it just another multimedia device or does your life depend on it?

Have you ever had notable mishaps or unforgettable catastrophies?

What do you think of your machine(s)?

Views: 898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No modern computer after 1982 is as bad as using this.  Not using this makes anything that happens on my computers acceptable.
LOL! Especially not dressing like that guy either, while working on your computer :-)
Don't laugh, but when I started to learn computer science (in 1980), it was on a card-punching device much like this one.
Old age is no laughing matter =)
Exactly, me too.  I remember learning BASIC and typing each line of code on one card and then running a stack of cards to get the program to run.  My kids LOL about this stuff now.

Hehe. The most annoying 'bug' that could happen to you in these times was... just dropping your stack of cards on the floor.

Talking about bugs - I remember my very first program had an infinite loop. The university had a line to a Cray supercomputer we ran our programs on - the most powerful sipercomputer in France at the time, and also the most expensive in CPU time. Unfortunately the terminal operator had a break at the moment, and it took his replacement several minutes to figure out how to halt the buggy program that was spewing paper like crazy. Luckily we students could use the supercomputer for free, as there was no way I could have paid the standard price for using this computer for such a long time. Of course, I kept the output - way more scrap paper than I needed in all my college years.

Thankfully I was able to skip that and go directly to APL TTY terminals.

You'd type "1+1" and Return, s few seconds later the typewriter would answer "2".

Way ahead of punch-cards.

Computers are used for socializing these days, too. Many people do not have a lot of RL human contacts, perhaps that's why there are so many trolls. Do you guys think trolls are mostly lonely, maladjusted people?
I know of one particular individual who's adult, living with his parents, is spectacularly maladjusted and uses computers obsessively...

The power of computers is that they are machines for making machines. Making multiple machines.

I was exposed very early on to computers (no crt screens then, only TTY typewrite/workstations). When they became available to make art I really jumped in. My first Macintosh in 1984 was the real epiphany. I've used them throught my professional career. And I've seen how they actually changed the world; I can imagine what they'll do in the future.

I'm in no way a computer savant, but I'm a tinkerer and I managed to learn programming by myself.  I never bothered with Fortran and punch cards, but I learned APL, Basic, Machine Code, Hypertalk, then later on, Unix scripting, a bit of C, ActionScript, some CSS & other scripting languages. I was Product Manager in a couple of instances and wrote the entire design specs for a software suite.

Now my whole life is in the box. All my music, all the digital pictures I've ever taken, I've digitized my vinyls collection, scanned old family pictures, all my graphic works and animations are in the machine, I've got a couple of musical instruments hooked into it with multiple device inputs, and it's a great part of my social reach. It's connected to my xbox and TV, my Itouch is it's mobile extension and I have a portable for travel. Facebook for RL friends, Twitter for the rest of the world and here...

Computers did lots of stuff to me and it's going do do lots more for humanity in the near future. Even social revolutions in unlikely contexts.

I've never been intimated by technology. In my lab I have many high tech pieces of equipment, and I love them all equally :-) I have to use both Macs and PCs at work (software compatible with either one, not the other, etc. , depending on the application. At home, I have a MacBook Pro. I couldn't imagine my life without computers; they are essential to what I do at work, and yes, it's a problem if there is a catastrophe. I unfortunately know no programming whatsoever. I've been thinking of teaching myself Python.

I confess to loving gadgets. I love books, and still love "real" books, but in the end I could not resist getting an e-reader. What i now do is, if I really liked the book, I buy it again when it comes out in paperback, and I put it on my shelves for re-reading or bookmarking important stuff.

Missing: Itouch and Zune players, Akai drum pads and other USB hubs with discs, scanner and card readers attached.

I like gadgets too.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service