Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"My political ideal is democracy. Let every person be respected as an individual and no person be…"
7 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian joined Marianne's group
Thumbnail

Mental Health and Related Issues

Mental health and or physical disorders, related or not, that happened or happens can change…See More
13 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Quilla Mamay
""Happy Birthday!""
13 hours ago
"... misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. --…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks for the Tooting Tour, I love the stories and all those different food shops!"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Sharon Mease
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Tooting looks like fun. I love those Indian/Pakistani sweets and so much music history too. If I…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"PragerFU: The Benefits of Belief, Part I"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Scary!"
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Both good ones."
Thursday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Andrew Marr slams 'cowardly' Truss and Kwarteng for an 'dereliction of duty' |…"
Thursday
"It seems to me there is less meanness in atheism, by a good measure. It seems that the spirit of…"
Thursday
"That is a PREMIUM quote, Chris!  Thank you for citing it!"
Thursday
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Reality is life. Where we suffocate is in the half-life of unreality, untruth, imitation, fakery,…"
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Someone with an actual bit of integrity?????"
Thursday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"James O'Brien: Is Keir Starmer the real deal? | LBC(I hope so)"
Wednesday
Clifford Cook posted a blog post

Are There 42 Bible Verses In The Constitution? A Fact Check

Fact Check: Are There 42 Bible Verses In the Constitution?This week, a Christian Nationalist…See More
Wednesday
"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the…"
Wednesday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Molinda McCormick
""Happy Birthday!""
Wednesday
Stephen Brodie and JimL are now friends
Tuesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Not a bad article on death and atheism. I liked this line:

"That is what believers don't understand. Atheists tend to believe that life ends here; there is nothing beyond. Because there is nothing beyond life, there is nothing to fear. I don't fear because I don't believe."

That is it, believing gives you fear of death, not comfort.

Huffington.

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another good thing about being an atheist, we don't have any inclination to suffer unnecessarily. No mother theresa bullshit for me thank you.

Look on the bright side, there may be some who you would've liked to spend more time with, and those you wouldn't. If there was life after death, is it worth hanging with the few you loved while dealing with the many that were irritants?

Yeah, I'm gong to heaven to spend time with my dear uncle pain in the ass for eternity, what joy.

You bring up an excellent point:

Counting on afterlife for closure is the saddest possible dream.

Won't happen.

Agreed. 

Atheist believe "the fear of death" is a silly idea that used it as a tool to intimidate pepole.

Atheist cant believe in metaphysicis or anything else without a clear scientific evidence.. 

Religion took advantage of that fear of death to control pepole and that all that is based on fairy tales!

If it wasn't for the probability of hell, they would all kill themselves at the first bad turn in life. Not good for the constituency, gotta keep the suckers on their toes. The gimmick is that they are all sinners from the get go, and the judging panel at the end is unpredictable at best. Until they open the box, they can't be certain there'll be a carrot in it.

I only fear how I will die, hoping it will be fairly quick and with minimal pain. I know it will not be pain free. I am 60yrs old in November and I know I don't have too many years of good life left. I even have considered ways to end my life myself if it becomes too unbearable. I am in favor of doctor assisted suicide laws. I do think about the idea of the finality of my life and not being conscious ever again. sometimes I  hope I am wrong and that there is something beyond this life better than what I am living, but, until there is evidence of that, I think not.

Mike

You can also think of death in the eyes of most believers as going to court. A time and place where absolute justice is to be dispensed. A final judgement that will be passed on those whose life has been hell as well as on those who might have had it too easy.

Some walk in with the highest hopes, most get there scared shitless.

I prefer to be scared of pain and suffering that are as real as possible.

On a philosophical level, death IS a final judgement. At that point you are not able add anything or do anything more to prepare your case, this is now all that you've been, period.

When I die, I want to go like my grandfather, peacefully in my sleep. Unlike the three screaming passengers in his car!

French, you really have a dry, warpped sense of humor. I like that, a lot. Unlike your grandfathers automobile passengers.They must have known better than wake him up while napping.

The idea of burning in hell and eternal damnation upon death is criminal and when it is preached to children it should be treated as child abuse.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service