Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Horrid things done in religion's name."
1 hour ago
Stephen commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"How can it be a bad thing for a worldview to argue (a) that our experience of reality, not myth or…"
1 hour ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Very true and beautiful!"
3 hours ago
Olivia T. updated their profile
6 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no…"
6 hours ago
"How can it be a bad thing for a worldview to argue (a) that our experience of reality, not myth or…"
17 hours ago
"That is also the excuse when they can't answer something themselves."
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"It's a meaningless panacea when we invent a god that can do anything and be anything……"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Same for me - and I tend to avoid all sounds at the moment, caused by hearing problems."
yesterday
"I'm with you there, Onyango. I don't particularly like the voice in my ears, reading…"
yesterday
Onyango Makagutu commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I, for some reason, don't like audiobooks. I prefer to read"
yesterday
" Onyango you can get many of Heinlein's books in Audiobook form on YouTube "
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a Cheat, a Liar, a Fraud, a Bully, a Racist, a Predator, a Con man who is a useful Russian Idiot aka a Man with No Money Named Scump News
"I'll believe none of it until after the election."
yesterday
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a Cheat, a Liar, a Fraud, a Bully, a Racist, a Predator, a Con man who is a useful Russian Idiot aka a Man with No Money Named Scump News
"All but one polling organisations show Biden in the lead but the odd one out predicted a Trump win…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a Cheat, a Liar, a Fraud, a Bully, a Racist, a Predator, a Con man who is a useful Russian Idiot aka a Man with No Money Named Scump News
"I've never seen anyone who just cannot face reality, as this idiot will not."
yesterday
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a Cheat, a Liar, a Fraud, a Bully, a Racist, a Predator, a Con man who is a useful Russian Idiot aka a Man with No Money Named Scump News
"Rounding the curve...."
yesterday
"Very."
yesterday
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"Good ones."
yesterday
Stephen commented on Stephen's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"Who is Dominic Cummings & What Does He Have on Boris Johnson? | Peter Jukes"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

TWO questions, answer both or either one.

#1)  Who do you think Joe Biden will pick as his VP?

#2)  Who do you hope that Joe Biden will pick as his VP?

I am underwhelmed by Joe Biden, he was not even in my top 5, and I am baffled how we got him, when we had some stellar candidates!!
but, I would vote for Ronald McDonald as a vote "against" t-RUMP.
and Biden is a decent person.  that alone, will be huge improvement...

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Stephen, it is divisive. But no it does not make you blank. It makes you pure.  It is not a slight against Caucasians. Instead it is an implicit acknowledgement of Caucasians as the dominant group. Since we are all people of color and it excludes Caucasians it is the primary separation between the dominant group and the others. It is what Whites see when they look at Blacks. 

I disagree with both of you.  NOte that POC often refer to their own selves or group as POC.

I just can not buy into whining white people who feel left out.  nope.  
POC is a useful term, when discussing disparities that DO have to be addressed.

IF IF IF IF IF there were no disparities? we would not need to reference POC as being treated differently.

I am a freckly redhead, so what kind of mess does that make me?

hopefully being redhead will make you less likely to be murdered by cops.

Not to mention, I'm in small city, Canada, among many different peoples!

The fact that POC refer to themselves as POC is irrelevant. It is not probative as to the nature of the expression. You have heard i assume, nigger, spoken by blacks. Does a black using the word Nigger negate its history and its connotations? Obviously not. 

It is the OPPOSITE of white people whining. Coloreds is passe. Why is people of color okay? Once again it is seeing the world through the eyes of Whites. There is no other way to interpret it unless you can explain to me how it is that Caucasians are without skin color. 

NO, your point, that POC is being seen from a 'white' point of view, is negated
when POC themselves 
refer to their selves
as POC.

White people, the oppressive class, complaining that they feel left out when POC is used, is whining.

It is hard to know where to reply after a series of exchanges. 

Yes, of course racism exists. It is pervasive in American society. It is in housing, in treatment by police,  in jobs, in interpersonal relationships etc.  It is absorbed in the consciousness of young children as the experiment with the dolls demonstrates. The dolls of color are the bad dolls! When we use the term POC and there is clearly no rational justification for it since we are all people of color we do are little part to perpetuate racism. 

Use of the ultra offensive N word is an analogy to negate your contention that POC using experesion POC makes it nonoffensive. 

NO, the term POC is not divisive,
having a name to discuss how racism impacts POC is not the Cause of said racism.
There IS racism.
There IS divisiion.
but having a respectful, polite way to refer the minorities who ARE being oppressed and killed, is not the "cause" of the murders under the knees of the cops.

Has anyone said POC is the cause of racism? I have not. 

POC is the polar opposite of a polite, respectful way to refer to blacks and whichever groups may be included. POC is an implicit acceptance of the unequal social order. 

And btw from what i understand blacks are not being murdered by cops at a greater rate than whites. I refer you to a podcast by the quite intelligent man, Sam Harris. 

Black are being murdered at higher rate, when they are only wht 13% of the population.

Paul, do you agree that racism exists? Let's start there.  I have recently learned, that there Are some white people who do not realize racism exists.

I disagree with your opinion that using POC indicated they not equal.
They are not treated equallly, though.  and we DO have to address that.  As a nation, and also, one on one.    
White people who ARE down with the struggle should try to help turn on the light for other white people.

Blacks are also pulled over at higher rate, arrested at higher rate (today i saw 97% of pot arrests in some town, were all blacks)
and more white people
are becoming aware of the wave of KARENS and Kens that black people face on the regular.
I get about 5 Karen videos a day in my news feed.

THE PLAYING FIELD IS NOT EVEN.   Racism exists.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service