Feedback and Notes

No Gods or Scumps Allowed

Latest Activity

Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"They are so hateful in the name of love. it is confusing to say the least"
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"They are so hateful."
12 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Toronto shuts doors to anti-gay hate preacher David LynnPASTOR David Lynn, a vocal campaigner…"
12 hours ago
Stephen commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"Why Does Enceladus Have Stripes at its South Pole? Saturn’s moon Enceladus has captivating…"
13 hours ago
Stephen commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Two Yanks at Stamford Bridge Chelsea's football stadium.  Christian Mate Pulisic is an…"
21 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Second Lib Dem election candidate endorses vote for Labour rival for his seat on day before…"
22 hours ago
"Onyango. I've always thought we were different from our cousins in the USofA but I've…"
yesterday
Onyango Makagutu commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"In 2 days, Stephen, we will know whether your country folk are a different breed from your friends…"
yesterday
Doone commented on A Former Member's group The Burgeoning Family Tree of Monkey Men and Women
"The formation of human populations in South and Central Asia…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"He's been through a lot."
yesterday
"103 and not out. Happy birthday Kirk."
yesterday
"Just two more days to save Britain from Borass, Scump MkII. Look I know I'm an Atheist…"
yesterday
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and an Inept Cockwomble who hates Humans News
"Early Scumpians "
yesterday
Davy commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"The Universe is very complex  I wonder if the Universe is the large scale version of the…"
Tuesday
Stephen left a comment for Christine
"Heureux anniversaire.  bonne fête"
Tuesday
Stephen left a comment for aerie*
"Happy Birthday aerie* have a great day"
Tuesday
"You've got that right."
Tuesday
"There is one thing that Borass and Scump have in common is they both lack any empathy for other…"
Tuesday
"(The bumbling idiot and Tory HQ have already spun the idea the Borass didn't try to evade and…"
Tuesday
"Bastard."
Monday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

As atheists, on what basis do you assert that something is morally right or wrong?

Views: 1917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alexis, I agree.

Further, I will bet a few nickels that long before humans appeared, every community of every kind of animal had a morality, a code of behavior.

Many such moralities, the earliest, might have had one provision: might makes right.

A Suiss woman surprised me back in 1997--three years after the genocide in Rwanda. She had an orphanage for a few survivors near our school, and would share with us many things about her beliefs. She was an atheist and owned a gun to protect the children from mainly Christian attackers. She was literally alergic to any religious beliefs, but would not open fire to innocents. Any she told me some people had repeatedly tried to rob the gun from her. Whose morals were moral? Thanks, Tom for the point.

Great point Alexis.

I find it hard to say A, to mean B, and do C! That's partly why I'm not a politician.

Aw-ww, Alexis, it's why you aren't a failed politician.

I've been doing politics since 1972 and ran in one primary election, which I 'narrowly' lost to the incumbent.

To not mislead, I need to define 'narrowly'.

I was a first time candidate and most such candidates received about 300 votes; none more than 400. I received over 1800. The incumbent, the House Speaker and was not in enough trouble to lose, received a mere 4000.

The beauty in that loss was that my campaign cost $400 and the Speaker spent more than $4000 to beat me. It was the most exciting six months of my life and it proved the truth of Henry Kissinger's "Power is an aphrodisiac."

Successful politicians say A, mean A, and do A. Voters have to want A and candidates who hope to win have to talk with voters.

Saying A, meaning A, and doing A is what is academically taught but almost never done in this part of the world! Remember, everything comes from god, including power and budgets to implement the pledges. No room for accontability then until god comes back again. By the way, you didn't lose. You proved you were a good candidate, but that there are other factors influencing the votes--money being at the top. Thanks for sharing your deep feelings, Tom.

Thanks for your quick replies, Alexis, from a part of the world where it's now afternoon. It's four in the morning here. I know now that for several hours later this week I will be looking for what the Web can tell me about Rwanda.

Experience was another factor. Voters in the district knew an experienced House speaker could do more for them than a first time legislator with no seniority.

The true atheist can look beyond superficial, misleading emotions and recognise that life is meaningless and adds up to nothing; no more than a pointless and worthless few years of consciousness. He therefore recognises that morality is also meaningless, pointless and worthless.
Only irrational, weak, fake atheists believe in concepts of "good" and "bad". These phonies also tend to be judgemental bigots who have nothing better to do with their meaningless lives than try and impose their meaningless morality on others.
If you want to lie, steal, cheat, torture, rape, kill or all of the above ... do it. It means nothing.

Life is only meaningless for those who live for death, who yearn to be embraced by the almighty idiot for an eternity. Those who enjoy bigotry, tribalism, immorality, are always enamored by the fearless onslaught of ignorance when dealing with humanity.

Atheists know that meaning in one's life is in their hands. It is in them to appreciate the wonders of life, instead of pondering immortality and following barbaric laws to ensure they have a place by the side of a mad deity. 

Because humanism is real, we can appreciate all people, not the ones that just believe in the same crazy, or look the same, or act the same. We know that humans all share life's journey.

Morals are evolutionary.

What morals do trolls have? I wonder what joy they get in being the poison ivy of communication? This will not continue.

Thank you.

What persecuded Religionist's think:

It's Dangerous to Believe:

Book TV video;

Religious Freedom and its Enemies,

Book Discussion on It's Dangerous to Believe Mary Eberstadt talked about her book [It’s Dangerous to Believe: Religious Freedom and Its Enemies, in which she says people of faith are experiencing growing, widespread discrimination because of their beliefs.

Ask the primates.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service