2 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Neil Weightman's group Atheist Cat Servants
"More proof cats are liquids:"
2 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"Dave Warnock: Dying Out Loud TheThinkingAtheist"
4 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"Good one  Mrs.B. I can remember my sister turning the menopause into a joke and…"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Powerful, Loren."
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Brazil, & Canada."
12 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"I am a big fan of most symphonic works for organ and orchestra.  A few years ago, I…"
18 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Defend the right of all or surrender your own first. If you think your freedom includes the…"
18 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"Mrs.B that Beethoven 5th Symphony video is cleverly done "
20 hours ago
Richard Levison left a comment for William Jade
"Hello William! Its nice to see and meet you here.Welcome to the website!"
20 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Julien's group The Music Box
"The whole world is singing the old English sea shanty The Wellerman. Who Sang It Better: The…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Qonspiracy Warehouse How do big conspiracy theories come about? Here's a look at how the…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Sure."
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Someone at Atheist Nexus had written, "It's not. But it is. But it's not",…"
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"It's intolerable that people's allegiance to their invisible god should put anyone's…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby. -- Penn Jillette Or like bald is a…"
yesterday
Richard Levison left a comment for Lee Kikuchi
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for William Jade
"Welcome to AU William."
Tuesday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for William Jade
"Click to see today's hot content on Atheist Universe. Jump here to introduce yourself Or…"
Tuesday
William Jade is now a member of Atheist Universe
Tuesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

What Obama said vs. what the Jews News heard--pretense or what?

“Opposition in some cases has been based on sincere and deeply held beliefs,” Obama said. “All of us who welcome today’s news should be mindful of that fact. Recognize different viewpoints. Revere our deep commitment to religious freedom.”

What was reported: 

Obama tells Americans to Deny Jesus and Overcome their Religious Views

© 2015 | JEWSNEWS | IT'S NOT NEWS...UNLESS IT'S JEWS NEWS !!!

http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2015/07/15/obama-tells-americans-to-deny-...

Will someone help me because I'm not an English native? Or do we have to be Jews to understand Jews News?

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It isn't hailed in Hindu, Confusionism, Buddist, or other  cultures outside of Abrahamic myths.

Jesus's resurrection is actually the foundation of christianianism

What theological questions does Christendom answer?

What could Christians teach non-christians? 

The best I've heard from christians is "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven," as they proselytize their belief as superior to others.

Church of england? I guess i've attended a dozen worse!

You may enjoy reading reading letters betwen the Danbury Baptists and Thomas Jefferson.

Jefferson's Wall of Separation Letter

Thomas Jefferson was a man of deep religious conviction — his conviction was that religion was a very personal matter, one which the government had no business getting involved in. He was vilified by his political opponents for his role in the passage of the 1786 Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom and for his criticism of such biblical events as the Great Flood and the theological age of the Earth. As president, he discontinued the practice started by his predecessors George Washington and John Adams of proclaiming days of fasting and thanksgiving. He was a staunch believer in the separation of church and state.

Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. A copy of the Danbury letter is available here. The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature — as "favors granted." Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion — only of establishment on the national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The letter was the subject of intense scrutiny by Jefferson, and he consulted a couple of New England politicians to assure that his words would not offend while still conveying his message: it was not the place of the Congress or the Executive to do anything that might be misconstrued as the establishment of religion.

Note: The bracketed section in the second paragraph had been blocked off for deletion in the final draft of the letter sent to the Danbury Baptists, though it was not actually deleted in Jefferson's draft of the letter. It is included here for completeness. Reflecting upon his knowledge that the letter was far from a mere personal correspondence, Jefferson deleted the block, he noted in the margin, to avoid offending members of his party in the eastern states.

This is a transcript of the final letter as stored online at the Library of Congress, and reflects Jefferson's spelling and punctuation.

They are all terrible.

Scandinavian states are busy planning about 100 years ahead, while others are praising god for offering today's bread. That's why there're no wars in Europe. The majority of their people have an internal locus of control I guess.

I herd something about what's called the Thirty Years war.  Thoes  darned Europeans and Scandinavians.

There was a grasshopper swarm in the town I lived in. It was so bad that it caused pileups on the roads.  Many people were killed driving through it.  God damed people should have pulled over to let the insects migrate.

Chris, thanks for the links. I can see how systems, principles and biases are born.

I'll argure that systems and principles  are learned.

forgive my misplacement of  herd vs. heard.

Today's automatic spelling sometimes makes up mean something else. Thirty years war? I'll learn about it and the grasshopper.

The Ant and the Grasshopper from Aesop's Fables?

One bright day in late autumn a family of Ants were bustling about in the warm sunshine, drying out the grain they had stored up during the summer, when a starving Grasshopper, his fiddle under his arm, came up and humbly begged for a bite to eat.

"What!" cried the Ants in surprise, "haven't you stored anything away for the winter? What in the world were you doing all last summer?"

"I didn't have time to store up any food," whined the Grasshopper; "I was so busy making music that before I knew it the summer was gone."

The Ants shrugged their shoulders in disgust.

"Making music, were you?" they cried. "Very well; now dance!" And they turned their backs on the Grasshopper and went on with their work.

There's a time for work and a time for play.

Once upon a time, there lived a young husband and wife in a small village. For some time now, the husband had not been happy with his marriage. He began to come home late from working in the fields. His wife thought he was the most wonderful man. But she was unhappy, too. His behavior was making her miserable.

Finally, she went to the oldest man in her village, the village elder. The elder was sad to hear her marriage was not a happy one. He had married them only two years before. At the time, he was sure that the marriage would be a good one.

"Of course I will end your marriage if that is what you want," he told the young wife, after listening patiently for a while. "You will be free to marry again. But is that really what you want?"

"I want my husband to be loving," she said. "I want to be loving. We are both miserable."

"I think I can help you," the elder said slowly. "I can prepare a secret potion that will change your husband into a loving man."

"Prepare this magic potion at once!" the young wife cried out excitedly.

"I could make it," he said sadly. "But I am missing an important ingredient. I am too old to get this ingredient for you. You must bring it to me."

"What do you need?" the young wife asked eagerly. "I'll bring it today."

"I need a single whisker taken from a living lion to make the potion work."

Her eyes widened in alarm. She bit her bottom lip. She straightened her shoulders. "I'll get it for you," she nodded.

The next morning, the young wife carried a huge piece of raw meat down to the river where lions sometimes came to drink. She hid behind a tree and waited. After waiting many hours, a lion ambled down to the river to have a drink. He sniffed at the raw meat. In three bites, the meat was gone. He raised his mighty head. He knew she there. The young wife held her breath. The mighty lion moved slowly back into the forest and disappeared.

The next day, the young wife came again. This time, the lion appeared quite quickly. This continued for many days. Days became weeks. Each day, the woman crept from her hiding place behind the tree, moving closer and closer to the lion.

At the end of four weeks, she moved quietly next to the lion and sat silently while he ate. Her hand shaking, she reached slowly out and pulled a whisker from his chin. Holding per prize firmly in one hand, she sat frozen until the lion had disappeared back into the forest.

She ran to the elder, waving her whisker. "I have it," she shouted. "I have it!"

The elder was in awe when he heard her story. "You do not need magic to change your husband back into the loving man he once was. You are brave enough to pull a whisker from the chin of a living lion. It took cleverness and bravery to do what you have done. Can you not use that same patience and courage and wit with your husband?

"But the potion," the young wife said eagerly. "Would not that work as well?"

"Perhaps," the elder told her. "But it would not last. Trust me, my child. Show your husband each day that you love him. Share his problems. Make him feel welcome. Make him feel wanted and needed. Give him time to change and see what happens."

The young wife went home and followed the elder's advice. Slowly, her husband began to return from the fields with the other men of the village. He began to look glad to see her. Within a year, their life was a happy one.

I find these stories more interesting than Biblical verses.
I find it sad that most xtains I've talked with don't know that the King James version of the Bible was written to give power to "King James," or that there are different versions of the Bible. Many 'books' of the Bible were intentionally left out when the Catholic Church was formed ~382AD.
Of course there are numerous xtain forms of the Bible. The Catholic Bible and other's what may be called new bible books such as The Book of Mormon, or the (advanced) New King James Bible for 7th Day Adventists.
  • The Catholic Church finally agreed on which writings should go into the Bible at the Council of Rome in 382 AD during the time of Pope Damasus.
  • Damasus encouraged St. Jerome to translate the Scriptures into Latin since Latin was the common language of all educated people.
  • Throughout the Middle Ages, portions of the Scriptures were translated into vernacular languages.
  • In the mid-1400s, the Bible started to be translated into European languages more widely.
  • In the 16th century, some Reformers published Bibles with bits missing, faulty translation work, and subversive notes.
  • The authorities tried to regulate which Bibles were acceptable in order to control erroneous teaching.
  • Throughout the years, the Catholic Church encouraged Bible reading, but kept control of the interpretation of the Bible as part of the Church’s inspired authority to teach the truth and preserve the unity of the Church.
  • Pope Leo XIII published a letter in 1893 encouraging Bible study.
  • Pius XII in 1943 also encouraged the faithful to study and love the Bible.
  • The second Vatican Council in the 1960s encouraged all the clergy and people to study the Bible faithfully.

Of course there is also the Torah and Quran/Koran

The history of Abrahamic theologic indoctrination is interesting when viewed as history and anthropology as Abrahamic academic scholars know. 

Unfortunately, there are people such as David Koresh, Pat Robertson, and other xtain evangelicals who export hatred abroad. 

Op-Ed How anti-gay Christians evangelize hate abroad

"If you live in the United States, it's easy to be lulled into thinking that the battle for broader civil rights for gay people is nearly over. The last few years have brought important victories in courts, legislatures and at the ballot box, and momentum is firmly on the side of increased equality.

That's not true, however, in other parts of the world. The vitriol that has fueled U.S. culture wars for so long is now being exported, and some of our most ardent culture warriors are finding a far more receptive audience abroad.

In nations such as Uganda, Russia, Nigeria and Belize, an insidious homophobia engineered in America is taking root. I have seen this hate being spread with my own eyes...."

More  from the above in Op-Ed How anti-gay Christians evangelize hate abroad

Through tithing which is tax deductible parishioners may fund xtain evangelizing, proselytizing, and religiously backed political maneuvers that among other things prevent health care related to birth control therefore sexually transmitted disease.

Christian Scientists for example professes that through prayer god heals. Numerous Christian Scientist parents have been imprisoned for denying health... 

Religious literalists (fundamentalists) oppose critical thinking, science or any belief outside the scope of their religious practice.  Fundamentalists come in many varieties.

Fundamentalist Muslims demand headlines lately for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

Asian Buddhism’s Growing Fundamentalist Streak Signals Growth Of Re...

Huffington Post

05/01/2014          Anuradha Sharma and Vishal Arora Religion News Service

BANGKOK (RNS) To many Americans, Buddhism is about attaining enlightenment, maybe even nirvana, through such peaceful methods as meditation and yoga.

But in some parts of Asia, a more assertive, strident and militant Buddhism is emerging. In three countries where Buddhism is the majority faith, a form of religious nationalism has taken hold:

* In Sri Lanka, where about 70 percent of the population is Theravada Buddhist, a group of monks formed the Bodu Bala Sena or the Buddhist Power Force in 2012 to “protect” the country’s Buddhist culture. The force, nicknamed BBS, carried out at least 241 attacks against Muslims and 61 attacks against Christians in 2013, according to the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress.
* In Myanmar, at least 300 Rohingya Muslims, whose ancestors were migrants from Bangladesh, have been killed and up to 300,000 displaced, according to Genocide Watch. Ashin Wirathu, a monk who describes himself as the Burmese “bin Laden,” is encouraging the violence by viewing the Rohingya presence as a Muslim “invasion.”
* And in Buddhist-majority Thailand, at least 5,000 people have died in Muslim-Buddhist violence in the country’s South. The country’s Knowing Buddha Foundation is not a violent group, but it advocates for a blashemy law to punish anyone who offends the faith. It wants Buddhism declared the state religion and portrays popular culture as a threat to believers.

Though fundamentalism is a term that has thus far been used mostly in relation to Christianity, Islam and Hinduism, some are beginning to use it to describe Buddhists as well.

Maung Zarni, an exiled Burmese who has written extensively on the ongoing violence in Myanmar and Sri Lanka, argues that there is no room for fundamentalism in Buddhism.

“No Buddhist can be nationalistic,” said Zarni, a visiting fellow at the London School of Economics. “There is no country for Buddhists. I mean, no such thing as ‘me,’ ‘my’ community, ‘my’ country, ‘my’ race or even ‘my’ faith.”

He views the demand for an anti-blasphemy law in Thailand also as a distortion of Buddhism, which doesn’t allow any “organization that polices or regulates the faithful’s behavior or inner thoughts.”

But Acharawadee Wongsakon, the Buddhist teacher who founded the Knowing Buddha Foundation, insists Buddhism needs legal protections and society must follow certain prescribed do’s and don’ts.

She and others see the new movements as providing “true knowledge on Buddhism.”

Thailand’s conflict between Muslim insurgents and local Buddhists, which reignited along the Malaysian border in 2004, is part of a long-standing feud pitting Buddhist monks and Muslim insurgents.

“For sure, Thailand has its own brand of ‘Buddhist’ racism towards non-Buddhists,” said Zarni. “But, I am not sure the Thai society will go the way of those two genocidal Theravada Buddhist societies (Sri Lanka and Myanmar) — where racism of genocidal nature has enveloped the mainstream ‘Buddhist’ society.”

Buddhist monk Phramaha Boonchuay Doojai, a senior lecturer at Chiang Mai Buddhist College in Thailand, said there are reasons why Theravada Buddhists see Islam as a threat. Among them, he cited the destruction of Nalanda University in India by Turkic military general Bakhtiyar Khilji in the early 13th century and attacks on Buddha statues in Bamiyan, Afghanistan, around the seventh century and more recently by the Taliban in 2001.

“Thousands of monks were burned alive and thousands beheaded as Khilji tried his best to uproot Buddhism,” he said.

Zarni agrees there are links “among what I really call anti-Dharma ‘Buddhist’ networks” in Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Thailand, which are “toxic, cancerous and deeply harmful to all humans anywhere.”

Wirathu was recently labeled on the cover of Time magazine as “The Face of Buddhist Terror.” The Myanmar government banned the edition. But Wirathu was quoted telling a reporter, “I am proud to be called a radical Buddhist.”

The idea of Buddhist fundamentalism is worth thinking about. 

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service