Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
"Exactly."
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
"Hmmmmm....odd, that."
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Kant have Organized Religion
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahahahahahaha..........................."
6 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
6 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Always wear underwear!"
7 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a Man? Named Scump News
"This Tweet was posted earlier on the UK civil service official Twitter feed but has since been…"
10 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a Man? Named Scump News
10 hours ago
"Johnson's defence of Cummings sparks anger from allies and opponents alike  Possible…"
11 hours ago
"I think it might be Doone. The Daily Mail is a rabidly Tory and Brexit rag. I think Borass imagined…"
11 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a Man? Named Scump News
"Scumps Friend is getting bad news - is this an indicative headline, Stephen? No 10 tonight loses…"
12 hours ago
Doone commented on Marianne's group Fantastique, sci-fi & imagination
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a Man? Named Scump News
"Personally, I don't think they should even run once they reach 65. Yes, the hate crimes are…"
15 hours ago
"I don't wish harm to anyone even and including Scump. If as we all hope Biden beats Scump in…"
17 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a Man? Named Scump News
"Scump the Stupid is getting people beat up, killed, and intimidated for wearing masks. …"
20 hours ago
"The US doctors taking Trump’s lead on hydroxychloroquine – despite mixed…"
20 hours ago
"T Shirt on Twitter  "
yesterday
Stephen left a comment for MitchMitchell
""Happy Birthday, Mitch! Have a great day""
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a World that has a Man? Named Scump News
"This thing is so destructive in more ways than one."
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

What is an atheists raw perspective on the Bible and God

Doing a research paper, need opinions, please be honest and as detailed as possible

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When asking for help, to go ahead and say be honest as possible is gaslighting. It would only make sense if you had sought people's opinion here and they were not honest but lacking such an experience, the admonition on honesty is misplaced.

Yeah, I noticed that Onyango. I thought I'd follow the admonition, to be honest by keeping my bloody mouth shut.

Yeah, gaslighting isnt fun dude. But you know what, i'll poke the bear. 

The bible is a collection of fables at best from a time when people had no idea about science, or how the world really worked. The concept of God was created from a need to understand the universe and give people comfort. I fail to see how some random sky faerie would do that, but com se com sa!

I tend to feel sorry for those who beilieve. I am not going to go so far as to say its small brain syndrome. but when you give people like that solid evidence, or even just ask them to think citically, or at all, its like you rocked their whole world by asking them to perform a simple human act. 

In my experience there are two types of god believers. 1. The militant (who would still secretly use an abortionist for their teenage daughter) and 2. Sunday god believers. ( I have several issues with both groups, but the later is of particular annoyance)

Anyways, good luck with your paper.

That was not my intention in the slightest. I apologize if I offended anyone. Please, however, leave me your thoughts. Need different POV's to form my own opinion. I, to not be biased, am also going to ask agnostic and christian followers as well.

Ethan. Keeping it simple Atheism is an absence of belief in the existence of deities.

Of course, there are some who feel absolutely certain that God doesn't exist.

But most secularists are always open to proof and if that proof was tangible I for one would listen.

Richard Dawkins puts it on a sliding scale between 1&7 he puts himself at 6.90. 

Anyone who says they are certain about the existence of the deity is a liar. 

The Bible is in the original 5 books of the Torah which the Jews today don't even bother about. The Christians do. The New Testament made up as well seventy years after the confabulated Mr Christ went a tad mental and decided to get an uplift for free. The Old Testament was written by some very clever manipulating manipulators around 700 BCE - because according to one myth this book appeared - by miracle all complete! So it must be divine. 

God is mental -obviously. Huge personality disorder - by another 99. Gestated in the dark for ever and then totally insane created the universe - after the stone age. How this spectre has managed to mentally infect over a billion ppl is of course too much for evolutionary biologists. Not that they don't try. But insanity is never the most salient of alternatives they come up with.

Albert Einstein said: “Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.”

Question: So those of you who are uncomfortable with "believers" are you uncomfortable with the concept of something that would humble we humans?

Or like me,are you uncomfortable with a "superbeing" that threatens a strict adherence to dogma "or else" I feel like my meditations have allowed me to connect with the spirit Einstein refers to. The only rule I have to follow is to get quiet and open myself to receive what some refer to as "grace".

Einstein used the terms god and spirit as a metaphor. I'm not uncomfortable with the notion of a being that is more powerful than we humans, that wouldn't be hard. As in all things religious, all I demand is proof.

Yes Einstein used metaphor and thought experiments in both his scientific and in his spiritual research. He knew words alone would be totally inadequate.

If you demand proof of something before you will accept it as truth,

The Trouble with Truth
we demand proof
because we want to be certain
our belief is true
as our certainty increases
our tolerance
for those who are certain
about a different truth
may decrease
if different and wrong
become synonyms