Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The whole thing [religion] is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a…"
12 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Ayumimori
""Happy Birthday!""
19 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post What Happens Next Time?
"Considering that the death toll at Pearl Harbor as a result of the Japanese attack was over 2,400,…"
yesterday
Onyango M commented on Loren Miller's blog post What Happens Next Time?
"was the attack on PH unexpected? Was it really a surprise? a provocation? or a response ?"
yesterday
"Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters. -- Rosa Luxemburg It always seems to start out that…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Amie Nicole
""Happy Birthday!"P.S:Personally I like the term dreamwalker myself."
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post What Happens Next Time?
"Very true, Randall.  The Missiles of October were more of a diplomatic and cold-war…"
Thursday
Randall Smith commented on Loren Miller's blog post What Happens Next Time?
"T What became known as the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 was another such surprise. The result…"
Thursday
"If you want your life to mean something, try making someone else's life meaningful. -- Aron Ra…"
Thursday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Christine
""Happy Birthday!""
Thursday
Mrs.B commented on Neil Weightman's group Atheist Cat Servants
Wednesday
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Katharine Hepburn. A grand lady"
Wednesday
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's blog post What Happens Next Time?
"Interesting Loren. Thank you"
Wednesday
Loren Miller posted a blog post

What Happens Next Time?

Surprises generally only work ONCE, especially if they are UNPLEASANT surprises or worse, hostile,…See More
Wednesday
"How could any Lord have made this world?... there is no reason, order, justice: but suffering,…"
Wednesday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Hannah
""Happy Birthday!""
Wednesday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTMQ: It's Not In There"
Wednesday
"WOTM: Walking On Water"
Wednesday
"PragerFU: Young People Leaving Religion, Part I"
Wednesday
"PragerFU: Young People Leaving Religion, Part II"
Wednesday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Snowflakes

There is a meme going around that states something to the effect that the people who call progressives snowflakes are the ones who elected the whiniest bitch ever to be president of the United States. I'd go even further. Those that call liberals snowflakes are the same ones that need a wall, a locker full of guns, and a refugee ban because they're afraid of the world.

So sad.

I think the real problem is that our religious conservatives are worried about some other religion becoming the majority in this country. Worried that they will no longer be able to call this a Christian country. Yet, that is why there is a wall between state and church so that we are all free to believe what we wish, or not to believe in any of the bull.

The media and most of America has been ignoring the genocide that has been occurring in Syria. Over 240,000 dead and 12 million displaced makes this a humanitarian crisis. Of course, you'd have to understand that we are one species and get race out of your head to realize this. Many compare the refugee crisis to Nazi Germany when we closed our borders to those practicing Judaism then as the current administration is trying to do now to those who are Muslim. This will not look good in the history books, but with an authoritarian government, the story will never be written regardless.

If humans practiced basic human behavior with all, the conflicts around the world would not exist. If your neighbor is in trouble, you help them, you do not ostracize them. There is a global community coming into existence, and if America decides to practice isolationism, we will not be part of that community. 

And yes, being an atheist I don't care about anyone's goddamn fantasy, but there is still a part of me that understands each human shares not only DNA but the same fears, joy, humor, anger, hopes, and dreams. To fight any religion's desire to separate us into warring factions, we need to make sure that we express our acceptance of other humans. How can we stop religion's atrocities if we do not engage; if we do not come together in some understandable manner?

If we do not find common goals, we will always be at odds. Maybe that is our destiny, to create conflicts, to engage in war, to discriminate, to ostracize, to belittle, to be small in our understanding and feelings. Possibly humanity will disappear, just another failed evolutionary experiment. 

I find the term snowflake - what conservatives seem to enjoy using as a derogatory term - actually a badge of honor. So here I am, a snowflake. I do not live in fear, I am not afraid of the world. Any fear we experience is when certain factions decide to divide us on issues of equality, race, religion, etc., for there lays the path to tribalism and war. We are one species, people ought to stop hating for a moment and think.

Snowflakes are all unique, just like humans. They are all made of the same stuff, like humans. I don't mind the comparison.

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try this on for size:

Heather Richardson

I don't like to talk about politics on Facebook-- political history is my job, after all, and you are my friends-- but there is an important non-partisan point to make today.

What Bannon is doing, most dramatically with last night's ban on immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries-- is creating what is known as a "shock event." Such an event is unexpected and confusing and throws a society into chaos. People scramble to react to the event, usually along some fault line that those responsible for the event can widen by claiming that they alone know how to restore order. When opponents speak out, the authors of the shock event call them enemies. As society reels and tempers run high, those responsible for the shock event perform a sleight of hand to achieve their real goal, a goal they know to be hugely unpopular, but from which everyone has been distracted as they fight over the initial event. There is no longer concerted opposition to the real goal; opposition divides along the partisan lines established by the shock event.

Last night's Executive Order has all the hallmarks of a shock event. It was not reviewed by any governmental agencies or lawyers before it was released, and counterterrorism experts insist they did not ask for it. People charged with enforcing it got no instructions about how to do so. Courts immediately have declared parts of it unconstitutional, but border police in some airports are refusing to stop enforcing it.

Predictably, chaos has followed and tempers are hot.

My point today is this: unless you are the person setting it up, it is in no one's interest to play the shock event game. It is designed explicitly to divide people who might otherwise come together so they cannot stand against something its authors think they won't like. I don't know what Bannon is up to-- although I have some guesses-- but because I know Bannon's ideas well, I am positive that there is not a single person whom I consider a friend on either side of the aisle-- and my friends range pretty widely-- who will benefit from whatever it is. If the shock event strategy works, though, many of you will blame each other, rather than Bannon, for the fallout. And the country will have been tricked into accepting their real goal.

But because shock events destabilize a society, they can also be used positively. We do not have to respond along old fault lines. We could just as easily reorganize into a different pattern that threatens the people who sparked the event. A successful shock event depends on speed and chaos because it requires knee-jerk reactions so that people divide along established lines. This, for example, is how Confederate leaders railroaded the initial southern states out of the Union. If people realize they are being played, though, they can reach across old lines and reorganize to challenge the leaders who are pulling the strings. This was Lincoln's strategy when he joined together Whigs, Democrats, Free-Soilers, anti-Nebraska voters, and nativists into the new Republican Party to stand against the Slave Power. Five years before, such a coalition would have been unimaginable. Members of those groups agreed on very little other than that they wanted all Americans to have equal economic opportunity. Once they began to work together to promote a fair economic system, though, they found much common ground. They ended up rededicating the nation to a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people."

Confederate leaders and Lincoln both knew about the political potential of a shock event. As we are in the midst of one, it seems worth noting that Lincoln seemed to have the better idea about how to use it.

very succinct analysis of the current situation Neal. How this policy will continue is beyond me. Trump is using a real fear of extremism to divide the American people, its been polarised for some time but not to this extent.

Insanity has taken the country by storm.

The Republican Fausts - The New York Times

Resist. =)

Back to snowflakes.

My response to the "snowflake" crowd now is that snowflakes fall on mountains, and when there's enough, there's an avalanche that wipes out everything in its way. =)

Oh snap. Good comeback.

Exactly

Exactly.

Tom isn't that always the way when people gain power. But the words are still relevant.

RSS

© 2023   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service