Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Grinning Cat, I like your comment on astrology.  "
13 minutes ago
"I like the word, "atheist."  I am proud of being an atheist and am happy to share my…"
21 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"''Make me a sandwich'' is still one oi the best lines!"
1 hour ago
"Did the video come through? I don't see it on my comment. Here is the link in case my first…"
1 hour ago
""I'll pray for you!" I realize this is an old video, but I laugh every time I hear…"
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"Terry, do you know the publishing date? And, who is your publisher?  I feel honored that you…"
2 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahahaha....."
5 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
" MrsB I loved the Miss Beatrice story. Thanks."
5 hours ago
Idaho Spud commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"That was a smile-inducer.  "
7 hours ago
"Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married. She was admired…"
12 hours ago
"Needs an extra large."
13 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"On astrology:"
14 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Loren, I agree that we need the word "atheism" as long as it's not a corollary of…"
14 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply an admission of the…"
19 hours ago
"Government guidelines say facemasks' should be worn over both mouth and carrotSnowman built by…"
20 hours ago
"Good one Mrs B"
20 hours ago
"Chris B, thanks for the Martin Luther King, Jr. quote!"
20 hours ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
22 hours ago
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"I'm sure those two were cut from the same cloth."
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Voldemort Effect (The phrase was coined by British activist Maajid Nawaz)

Have you noticed how some people of the left(my people) are more concerned about perceived violence or threats or even trigger statements. This is instead of real violence committed by religious people around the world. You know to whom I'm talking about, those whose name we are not allowed to utter. this group kills gays, apostates, Woman, and other religious groups and especially Atheists and not a word is said against this religion, because they are seen as the underdog and we are not supposed to punch down only up at the power. They forget that this religion has the governance of 1.7 billion people, hardly a minority.  We mustn't leave it to the right to take up this issue. We must up hold our liberal values and protect those groups who are in danger of being killed. 

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also:

My kid brother (after a divorce forty years ago and before he and a woman started a 35-year shack-up) had an affair with an Americanized (like the Emily in the movie) Middle Eastern woman.

I asked him if she had any brothers who might take an interest.

He replied (approx.), "She does, but she told me they've been refused entry to the US."

He survived.

Stephen,

What do you think of Frances ban on Burkas, or Burkinis? Should there be a dress code for adults in public? Typically social pressure dictates local garment fashion.

Some Islamics may have never had an education aside from a Madrasah

Women who lived in Islamic countries don't dress modestly at home.

Going back before the Iranian Revolution (circa ~1978), or Afghanistan, prior to the invasion from the USSR- even other countries who within their constitutiuon are Islamic were open to western concepts including Western dress, music, thought, and education.

I wonder how many women you come across in the lift look at you for help excaping their captivity. Have you attempted talking with any of them?

There was a small Lebanese restraunt I enjoyed going to here in Northern California. The food was great. After the 1983 bombing in Beirut Lebanon they attempted to remain open by serving dinner with a buffet. As the news from the bombing increased they barely remained open. Within a matter of months from having food to order at a fine dining restaraunt to the buffet I took a girl there for dinner because the food was delicious.

One of the most embarrising dinners I ever went to. Myself and the young woman were the only two customers in the restaraunt. While eating three or four belly dancers began dancing around our table. The gal I invited to dinner asked if I reserved the restaraunt for the entire evening - of course I didn't do that.  The restaraunt went bankrupt within a month or so.

I found that sad because the restauranteurs were wonderful and the food was even better.

Thinking about this kind of thing more. On 9/12/2001 a guy I worked with said he started a fight with a gas station attendent. After questioning him it turned out he assaulted a Sikh.  

Again, sorry if I'm not taking your concern as serious as I should. Having not been where you are I can't imagine what it's like.

Haloween is approaching.

Haloween used to be my favorite festival because it allowes individuals and groups to make fun of cultures.  The possibilities are endless.

I dressed as a doctor for halloween "Once". It was the worst costume I ever wore. People took me to seriously.

Again I appologize Stephen, I have a very dry sense of humor. Imagine if everyone in your building and neighborhood wore Burkas.

Sometimes putting this type of thing forth takes the edge off and makes people who wear Burka's the brunt of the joke.

I am an American liberal who has about as much use for political correctness as a snake has for shoes.  That attitude includes NOT tiptoeing around those who get upset at "trigger words" or people who seem to think we're supposed to defer to their belief systems because they are "sacred."  I'm not in the habit of seeking out confrontation, but should the topic come up, I have no problem in standing my ground.  I won't claim to be anywhere near the skill level of Matt Dillahunty or AronRa as it comes to debating skills, but when it comes to the pernicious influence of religion in this world, my attitude is adamantine:

Religion has no basis in reality and deserves all the criticism and mockery it gets.

The religious have had too much privilege on that tall pedestal for far too long.

Chris believe it or not I'm actually against banning the burka it has to be the free choice of those who wear them. But how free is their choice that's the crux. Some of the woman in my block and area who wear them, I just wonder how free they are in opting to wear the Burka.

The problem with the burqa is twofold:

1. It can be and has been used by men to hide weapons and commit crimes without easy means of identification.
  2. The "free choice" of wearing a burqa or hijab or niqab or whatever is likely indoctrinated at a young age, along with the bullshit reasons behind them.  Either that or the penalty for NOT wearing such attire becomes equally self-evident.

The burqa has the further effect of turning a woman into a non-entity, effectively erasing her public identity, supposedly for the sake of "protecting" her from unwanted advances.  I submit that someone determined to sexually assault a woman would not let a hunk of cloth stop him.

The Male gaze has nothing to do with what a woman wears or doesn't wear it has everything to do with his imagination, and a bolt of cloth wont stop that imagination. At least it doesn't with me.

Covering everything only makes the imagination more so.

Not to mention adopting the ways of the country you're living in. The religious garb belongs in the place of worship, or private home.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service