Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the…"
1 hour ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Molinda McCormick
""Happy Birthday!""
9 hours ago
Stephen Brodie and JimL are now friends
16 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I won't take that personally, Randall. "
23 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Ian, we have a threatening hurricane over here named after you!"
yesterday
"The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imagination. --…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Anna
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Chris B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"I like Jonathan Pie, and if there's one thing I hate - because it's so degrading apart…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Too frightening!"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"A Statement of Intent"
yesterday
"God is always the equivalent of ‘I do not know.’ -- Annie Besant Except that, to the…"
Monday
"Something to light up the day. "
Monday
"Home again after a weekend with my daughter and family. The grandsons seems to have endless…"
Monday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Nikki Alenius Hanninen
""Happy Birthday!""
Monday
Kurt Neuleuf posted a discussion

Changing times :Royalist or Republican

With the passing of the queen and all the pomp and pageantry going on here in Australia, people are…See More
Sunday
Doug Hanlon commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"About sixty years ago, the great sociologist Seymour Martin Lipset noted that of the dozen European…"
Sunday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Tremendous Tooting Tour - Jolly Splendid London Walk Joolz Guides"
Sunday
Doug Hanlon replied to Lachailill McLennan's discussion Think about it and consult a dictionary before commenting. I've gotten some idiotic responses to this. in the group Quote Of The Day
"Patriotism is the extension -- in theory -- of an ethical principle to all the people of your…"
Sunday
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I will leave you with a few views upon the monarchy from the past. What can they see in the longest…"
Sunday
"Only if we understand, will we care. Only if we care, will we help. Only if we help shall all be…"
Sunday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows (politico.com)

The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

Read the rest here.

==========================

Well ... there you go, people. This is the direct result of two presidents – George W. Bush and Donald J. Trump – NEITHER of which were initially elected by a majority of voters, but essentially installed by the power of the Electoral College, who then put a majority of right-wing justices on the Supreme Court and, utterly ignoring the concept and principle of stare decisis, struck down a near-half-century compact between the United States government and any woman of child-bearing age.

The hell of it is, it won't stop abortions. It'll slow them down, certainly, but the truth is that so long as there is a demand for abortions, SOMEONE will supply that demand. It may be a doctor who knows how to fly under the radar ... or it may be some jerk with a coat hanger. They'll still happen, just as surely as those with money will go to Canada or Mexico and get their procedures while those without means will do whatever they can.

The idiots haven't stopped a damned thing. They've only made matters one hell of a lot WORSE.

Views: 167

Replies to This Discussion

..sigh.. there's only one easy way to get less abortions: give all the info and means to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the hands of the women who need it.

This bs is never going to end!

If the rumour is right and SCOTUS is going to overturn Roe V Wade surely this will mean the split between the Red and Blue States becomes permanent. How can a so-called independent SCOTUS be so biased? Either Roe V Wade is constitutional or it isn't, 50 years ago SCOTUS said it was, what's changed? I'm quite ignorant of American political processes so I'm sorry if I've missed anything.

You ain't missed much, Stephen.  The sad fact is that SCOTUS is currently at least as political as it is supposed to be based in the law, with personal beliefs driving decisions as much as constitutional considerations.  The unexpected revelation of this draft decision MAY have some impact on the final output, but I wouldn't bet on it.

And you don't want to guess how utterly PISSED OFF I am about it.

I needn't guess Loren I can imagine that you are steaming from the ears, cartoon-like. But worst of all I know how awful this must have hit the progressive women of the USA 

Then the women who will want to come here for abortions with our already over-burdened medical systems due to lack of staff, refugees, etc. 

Yeah, we were in the same situation when poor Irish women(it's always the poor) fled Ireland and came across to the UK to get a termination, most Brits were happy to help these desperate women but it had to be kept quiet because they were often prosecuted by the Irish government with the urging of the Catholic church.

Church & government do not belong in a person's private life...infuriating!

Poor women who have unplanned, unwanted children have a heavy burden to lift themselves out of poverty. Where are the fathers of these babies? Do they help support their children? Where is the government of these babies? Is it willing to help take some of the financial burdens off women?

Joan, you know as well as I do: the people who make rulings like this have about as much empathy as you could keep in a Lilliputian thimble.  They barely have the capacity to care about themselves, let alone care for someone else and particularly, care for someone different. And if it isn't that, it's the fear of sharing power, especially with a group (or a sex) that has been kept down, literally for millennia, along with the fear of that power being turned on them.

They're a bunch of little people, Joan ... scared little kids, who can't find sufficient adult in themselves to assuage their fear. What can be done about such people, I honestly don't know. I just know that the power they hold needs to be secured from them, because they've hurt too many people with it.

In my mother's day and my grandmother's, they did not ask these questions, at least not out loud. We take great strides as women and men not only ask tough questions about parenthood and children, but we demand answers. Homo sapiens evolved out of the goo of bacteria through reptilian and mammalian stages; we now have arrived at a time when there can not be guns, bombs, gases, muscles, brute force, and power in numbers to decide critical events. We have to gain personal and interpersonal skills that support life and keep the earth and its passengers healthy. 

An while we're at it, boys and girls, let's remind ourselves of a very salient fact: each of the judges who were being represented in Justice Alito's opinion LIED UNDER OATH when asked about Roe v Wade and Planned Parenthood v Casey. And while it's no great surprise to me, Senator Susan Collins apparently ate their lies up with a spoon.

Don't believe me? Check out the following:

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service