Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the…"
1 hour ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Molinda McCormick
""Happy Birthday!""
9 hours ago
Stephen Brodie and JimL are now friends
16 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I won't take that personally, Randall. "
23 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Ian, we have a threatening hurricane over here named after you!"
yesterday
"The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imagination. --…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Anna
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Chris B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"I like Jonathan Pie, and if there's one thing I hate - because it's so degrading apart…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Too frightening!"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"A Statement of Intent"
yesterday
"God is always the equivalent of ‘I do not know.’ -- Annie Besant Except that, to the…"
Monday
"Something to light up the day. "
Monday
"Home again after a weekend with my daughter and family. The grandsons seems to have endless…"
Monday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Nikki Alenius Hanninen
""Happy Birthday!""
Monday
Kurt Neuleuf posted a discussion

Changing times :Royalist or Republican

With the passing of the queen and all the pomp and pageantry going on here in Australia, people are…See More
Sunday
Doug Hanlon commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"About sixty years ago, the great sociologist Seymour Martin Lipset noted that of the dozen European…"
Sunday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Tremendous Tooting Tour - Jolly Splendid London Walk Joolz Guides"
Sunday
Doug Hanlon replied to Lachailill McLennan's discussion Think about it and consult a dictionary before commenting. I've gotten some idiotic responses to this. in the group Quote Of The Day
"Patriotism is the extension -- in theory -- of an ethical principle to all the people of your…"
Sunday
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I will leave you with a few views upon the monarchy from the past. What can they see in the longest…"
Sunday
"Only if we understand, will we care. Only if we care, will we help. Only if we help shall all be…"
Sunday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

If I were a scientist, I'd stick to the Goldman Sachs principle: bet on both sides.

"Believe in science, believe in God" seems to cover all the possibilities and gives you the best chance for a cheery afterlife.

For a time, it was thought that astrophysicist Stephen Hawking had also left a tiny gap in his credo window for a magical deity. However, he has now come out and declared that there is no God.

He gave an interview to Spain's El Mundo in which he expressed his firm belief that el mundo was the work of scientifically explainable phenomena, not of a supreme being.

Hawking said: "Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation."

CNET

Views: 3485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen Hawking is missing the point. The important question is not "Is there a god (whatever we mean by "god"): The question to ask is "what would it matter if a 'magic genie' were to exist?"

The Biblical 'magic genie' is a self-confessed genocidal, autocratic psychopath, who arrogantly demands our love and devotion, and 'He' threatens to burn us alive should we fail to comply. Suffice it to say, this is a monster that we can all do without.

Fortunately, there is no reason to suppose "God" exists, nor is there a shred of evidence to indicate He exists. Indeed, the source of this superstitious belief—i.e., ancient scrolls written on goats skins in the Bronze Age—have been scientifically proven to be fictional. (See images below). So can we all, please, embrace science and live in the 21st century? —>

The burden of proof DICTATES that all assertions must be supported with evidentiary proof—or they must be dismissed, outright. Therefore, Stephen Hawking's assertion that no god exists is certainly within the parameters of SCIENCE. However, I would caution any atheists to not state—full bore—that "God does NOT exist", since that assertion suffers the burden of proof, for which there is no evidence, since it is impossible (by definition) to prove a metaphysical assertion, since metaphysics is necessarily beyond the realm of the physical world. Therefore, Stephen Hawking's' assertion regarding a supernatural "magic genie" is, technically, dead in the water, PHILOSOPHICALLY.

God came into existence when the first rogue met the first fool!

Hawking was right. we  now live in a rogue and fools paradise

And the rogues are winning. 

We humans have ALWAYS "lived in a fools' paradise".

I wish space-aliens luck, if they search for intelligent life, on planet Earth. —>

Attachments:

Sure Hawking was known for this theories and so forth but he's no more able to decide if a ubiquitous god exists as your idiot neighbor is.  Who gives a fuck what Hawking believes or doesn't believe in regards to there being a god.  Is there a god?  Hmm, no answer, guess not.  Moving on.  Enjoy page 13 of this asinine debate.

He said he didn't believe in a God he never claimed to know 

Thomas Edison used to believe in god and then the light bulb went on in his head.  All jokes aside my point is who cares what Hawking believed or didn't believe.  It changes nothing.  It's like debating if Einstein agreed with using the nuclear bomb.  It was used, period, end of story.  In my opinion people get way too caught up in all this belief nonsense.  Whatever happens or doesn't happen after death is what it is.  Believing one thing or another makes no difference other than for that one person's perception of their own reality. 

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service