Feedback and Notes

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check a law dictionary. Definitions there differ from those in ordinary dictionaries.

For instance, prosecutions for fraud depend upon who is being cheated.

When people whose life experiences or educations enable them to check on the truth of statements FAIL TO CHECK ON THEIR TRUTH, the people who cheat them might not be charged or prosecuted.

As to religion, American courts don’t allow in elementary schools what they do allow in colleges.

As to fraud, elder abuse laws might protect elders (65 and older) AND “dependent” adults (under 65) who may have disabilities that prevent their protecting themselves. California’s law includes in its title the term “Elders and Dependent Adults”.

Why not protect the most vulnerable?

They are cheated of a life without faith in lies.

Seen that Vid before and I agree its brainwashing but also child assault 

Why not protect everyone instead of just some of us?

Do we not all deserve the best protection the state can offer?

What about these dependant children?

Is there a religion that is not fraudulent  

Not that I've ever heard.

Mrs. B

Please see my reply above.

Yes. Those religions that seek wisdom and knowledge without a supernatural aspect.

I can think of three. Buddhism, Karaite Jews and Gnostic Christians.

All there of those put man above God, where we belong, given that we have invented all the Gods.

I'll give you another two that are treated as religion in China Kǒng fūzǐ better known as Confucius and Master Lao aka Lao Tzu. 
Master Kong taught how to treat other people with respect. Master Lao's teachings were in a similar vein but different.
In China when there is shrine to Buddha you will also see statues representing Masters Lao and Kong as well and Buddha is between them because he is not from China so he sits in the middle out of respect. 

What you are describing, I think, are groups of esoteric ecumenists who traditionally seek wisdom wherever they can as they allow themselves the good sense to incorporate the best rules and laws to live life by. That is basically how we describe the word God.

Those belief system recognize that nothing can be known of the supernatural so the best course of action is to ignore all such fantasies. That was the prevalent thinking before Christianity and Islam became idol worshiping cults.

You want to read up on Zhongguo and their view of religion it is a lot different to the western idea of religion. 

Also Kong Fuzi and Lao Tzu are both venerated in Zhongguo as much as Buddha is. 

Your last statement is very much Master Kong's view on the subject. 
Oh! and by the way it it also helps to read old books on the subject as they are not tainted with views that emanated from to-days writers 

© 2018   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service