Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Sacred....shmacred.....I always think....bull----!"
23 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The moment you say that any idea system is sacred, whether it’s a religious belief system or…"
6 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Joolz Guide of secret London. Lenin in London - Where The Russian Revolution Was Planned"
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahahahaha.....maybe shooting blanks?"
11 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Joseph got busy only after he was told he was getting help"
12 hours ago
Chris B commented on Doone's group World History
"Great! I enjoyed the mosaics in Naples enormously and this is just as beautiful!"
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group World History
"That's fantastic!"
12 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That explains a lot, thanks! Such a destruction!"
13 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group World History
"Extraordinary Roman mosaic & villa discovered beneath farmer's field in Rutland Just the…"
15 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks, Joan.  I found this online. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express"
17 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Totally agreed! It's great to see you again, Joan!"
18 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Good to see you back Joan hope everything is good with you."
19 hours ago
dead jawa posted a blog post

Russell's Lighthouse

I think both theists and atheists don't realize the full ramifications of Russell's Teapot. I would…See More
19 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"@Ian,  here is an answer from " "CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS and the…"
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I swam in this lake years ago."
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"BC FLOODS: HIGHWAY UPDATE, COQUIHALLA CONSTRUCTION & TRUDEAU ARRIVAL - Nov. 26, 2021"
22 hours ago
"Good to see you, Joan."
23 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Thanks, Dan Baker, for your wisdom! And thanks, Loren, for your post. "The agnostic says,…"
23 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahaha.....sounds like Rick too."
23 hours ago
"And a good author."
23 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Okay... I am trying to find out how long I can stay awake. Has anyone tried this?

Apparently the record is almost 19 days. I think I'll try between 5 and 7 days. I don't think I'll be able to handle more on my own. I am awake since Sunday, 10:20 PM (UTC+01:00).

The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses. (Source)

Hmmm... maybe I'll find god again. If I'm going to start speaking in tongues, you'll know why.

Anyway... it seems like a stupid idea, but I'm going to do it anyway. Perhaps those that have tried it or know something more specific about this sort of thing can share it.

Views: 474

Replies to This Discussion

this is not a safe thing to do.  I hope very much, during this time, you do not drive, nor make any big decisions, or do things like break up with a girlfriend or argue with relatives and friends.  You will not be "right" in the mind during this time, but to you, your thoughts will seem "right", and you *may* damage relationships you have.  Also, stay away from spending money during this time. 

I lived portions of my life sleep deprived, not by choice, but by working, going to school, and raising children, and i can promise you, your decisions, when viewed again after sleeping, were not very good ones.

My friend, may i ask why are you risking your health to do this?  and are you fully aware of the risks you are taking on?  I hope you are a fully healthy and young person to be taking this on, but, it seems there are far less risky things you could fascinate yourself with....LIke, how far can you run without stopping ? On Monday...and then, on Tuesday, LOOK how MUCH farther, evne one previous run enabled you to go.

Or can you write a poem?  Or a song? Painting is fabulously self exploratory.  Even if you try your very best to hide your thought or mood, it shows up in the painting, and doing that will not cause any physical nor emotional damage to occur.  Paintings are emotional mirrors, every day you look at the art, you see something different, eventually realizing, you see your own inner thoughts to some extent.

any "god" you find while under delusion of sleep deprivation, is not "real", and you know that.  You very well might have forms of sensory lies coming in, but, this is like trusting your brain at it's absolute worst.

Or, go volunteer, pitch in on some cause you care about..If you really want to learn about YOU,    try     focusing on someone else for a while.

For real, the things you discover doing that, helping others, volunteering, charity work, etc---- are amazing, thrilling, satisfying. 

PLease please research the dangers of sleep deprivation before beginning, you do have a right to be intellectually aware of what you are getting into, before you begin.

Well... it would be a one time thing. And, like I've said before, it has already begun. 34 hours of being awake and counting... but I have been awake more than this in the past. Are there really any risks for something like this? It's not like I'm going to do it all the time.

And I was only joking about finding god... though when the time comes I might think otherwise.

I am not trying to achieve something with this, I'm just curious.

sorry, didn't see the last line, you are already sleep deprived.  Please, friend, go to sleep.

I'm actually not tired. It seems that that phase has passed - for now. I was kind of tired right after I passed the hour when I would've ordinarily go to sleep, but now it's a different sensation.

Never scientifically verified: Thai Ngoc, born 1942, claimed in 2006 to have been awake for 33 years or 11,700 nights, according to Vietnamese news organization Thanh Nien. It was said that Ngoc acquired the ability to go without sleep after a bout of fever in 1973, but other reports indicate he stopped sleeping in 1976 with no known trigger. At the time of the Thanh Nien report, Ngoc suffered from no apparent ill effect (other than a minor decline in liver function), was mentally sound and could carry 100 kg of pig feed down a 4 km road, but another report indicates that he was healthy before the sleepless episode but that now he was not feeling well because of the lack of sleep. (Source)

What do you think about this? It would be nice to not have to sleep. Even though I enjoy sleeping (perhaps because I need it), I would choose to not sleep ever again if I could do it without causing any harm to myself.

i do not believe everything i read.  Especially if it is an extreme, fantastical, claim.

Like the quote goes, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

The word "claims" is noted.  Also said he gave up his liver to try to live that way.  YOu'd miss your liver, Julien, yeah, liver damage is horrible horrible way to go.  shiver.  Having seen it, i might choose cancer over liver damage...tough call, which is worse.  I do not think one round of this would damage your liver, but, it is not a safe thing to do to yourself.  (see links, i just grabbed first ones that popped up when i googled "dangers of sleep deprivation".

Sleep deprivation is used as torture, too.  Leaves no marks.

Well, as you continue to decide what is best, i hope you are not driving, or doing tricky things, etc etc.  

good luck, hope you sleep soon!

GOOD NIGHT!!  I'm going to sleep !!!

Never scientifically verified: Thai Ngoc etc.

It's hard to believe. I've heard of a few cases of people who never sleep, but they're all batshit insane, institutionalized, and live in a permanent vegetative state.

I've been awake for 65 hours once (I didn't chose to) and I'd advise you to not try. At this point you start hallucinating (I remember 'seeing' animated furniture and herds of large ghostly spiders crawling on the walls), irrational thoughts come and and you may behave erraticly and dangerously.

...herds of large ghostly spiders crawling on the walls

Did you really see that? That's creepy. Spiders creep me out. For that alone I wouldn't risk doing it. But I guess it didn't affect you in the long run. You're fine, right?

Did you really see that?

If hallucinations are real, then indeed, I really saw that. Imagine shadows of spiders as big as your hands, that scatter away when you try to look at them directly... creepy.

But I guess it didn't affect you in the long run. You're fine, right?

As a matter of fact, I had the dubious honor to be admitted in a psychiatric hospital for a few weeks a few years ago, but I can assure you that seeing hallucinatory spiders 20 years earlier had nothing to do with that :-/

PLease please research the dangers of sleep deprivation before beginning, you do have a right to be intellectually aware of what you are getting into, before you begin.

Well... I just woke up. I think you are right at least about one thing. I shouldn't do something without at least a little research. I haven't planned to stay awake for as long as I can. I was awake for more than 24 hours because I had to do some things, and then I said I might as well try and push it over the edge. Anyway, I guess I am going to do it afterall, but not now. It might be fun to see animated furniture and stuff. Although I would prefer the spiders to stay away from me. :D

Or can you write a poem? Or a song? Painting is fabulously self exploratory. Even if you try your very best to hide your thought or mood, it shows up in the painting, and doing that will not cause any physical nor emotional damage to occur. Paintings are emotional mirrors, every day you look at the art, you see something different, eventually realizing, you see your own inner thoughts to some extent.

I think one can create something great while hallucinating. Even if not great, at least different. I guess you see things differently in that state, so your thoughts change as well, and you can create something nice. Just like when you're high, I think... never tried it.

it's sort of like giving up your I.Q......like taking a cup full of stupidity, in a way. 

Also leads to  weight gain, heart trouble, mood disorders, etc etc.

http://www.suite101.com/content/dangers-of-sleep-deprivation-a103665

http://www.sleep-disorders.org.uk/sleep-deprivation.html

http://www.hindu.com/2011/02/11/stories/2011021158871500.htm

Good luck making this decision, Julien, but it seems there are far safer and far more interesting ways to amuse yourself,  "learn" something about yourself, etc etc.

I was awake, (it was more like a wake), for days when I was younger. Can't remember the exact length of time, but it had to do with ingesting large quantities of the contents of these pretty black capsules; not pretty.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service