Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I have found some Kevlar clothing on Amazon, knife resistant, etc., you may be interested in…"
1 hour ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Someone is going away for a long time, if the police have got it right."
4 hours ago
"Good....let's hope they throw the book at him!!!!!! How are your emotions Stephen?"
4 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Greenford mobility scooter killing: Man arrested over stabbing A man has been arrested on suspicion…"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Very good at what he does."
6 hours ago
"Still hits too close to home when it's a senior, & on a scooter though, especially after…"
6 hours ago
"I agree with you about the police, Stephen. It's not much different here in Denmark."
11 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I get my limits from a rational consideration of the consequences of my actions, that's how I…"
13 hours ago
"Yes Ian one hopes the killer is caught but I'm not holding my breath. The Met has…"
15 hours ago
"Of course, there has always been crime n London but no different from any other big city. London…"
16 hours ago
"At least there's a good photo of him."
17 hours ago
"That is so CRUEL, Stephen. Many people must feel unsafe now. I hope the killer is caught soon."
17 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The wishes were good but reality is harder. It so hard not to lose the space you need."
18 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Sally Carmen Carmen
""Happy Birthday!""
18 hours ago
"OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"
18 hours ago
"I want to thank everyone for all the good wishes you have sent me about the mugging. I felt I was…"
18 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"He's so good at these."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Liberal Redneck - Liz Cheney and the New GOP"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTM: Down. But Certainly Not Out."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

SALADS.
The Greeks and the Romans both enjoyed dishes of green leaf vegetables dressed with salted olive oil.
The English word “salad” is derived from the Latin word meaning salted.
To-day there is a large variety of dishes called salads but they are based on three basic styles of salads:
The garden or green salad which are based on the use fresh green leafy vegetables such as Lettuce, Rocket, young Cabbage etc and are normally dressed with an oil based dressing.
Vegetable salad which is based on a variety of fresh and cooked vegetables and are normally dressed with a vinaigrette or mayonnaise based dressing.
Bound salad, which is a salad that that holds it shape when placed on the plate with an ice-cream scoop. These are made from a variety of fresh, preserved and cooked vegetables, heavily dressed with a mayonnaise or sour cream based dressings.
During hot weather, salads are invaluable as they are cool and refreshing either as a side dish or as the main dish of the meal.
A perfect salad looks cool and inviting and the skill applied in blending the the ingredients makes for a pleasurable eating experience.
To make the perfect salad requires the the fruit, vegetables and herbs used must be of the best quality and as fresh as possible.
HINTS.
Never use salt in the water to wash or freshen the lettuce in.
Never sprinkle the lettuce once it is cut up with salt as the lettuce will lose its crispness.
Dry the lettuce by shaking it in a cloth before cutting up.
Lettuce and greens are better shredded than cut up.
Cucumbers can be made crisper by sprinkling with salt after being cut up about 15 minutes before being required. Any liquid that forms can be poured off before using.
To prevent eggs discolouring, place the eggs in to boiling water and boil for 12 minutes then plunge the eggs into icy cold water to cool them quickly.
All vegetables and fruit that are used to make the salad must be cold and clean.

Views: 624

Replies to This Discussion

Well, this friend is from France so she called the lettuce Laitue frisée or she uses des Feuiles de chênes, but any lettuce will do.  She uses green frozen peas as they have liquid in it or if taken from a can add a little water to it; a tablespoon of sugar, salt and pepper to taste.  The lettuce by the time the dish is cooked (not long) should look like cooked spinach.

(maybe I should start the recipee from scratch because I guess this simple dish is looking complicated)

Great thanks! I love frisée but the leaves are not very big. Let us know when you cook it! I want to try it too.

I did try it yesterday; it's delicious and takes about15 minutes to make even with the choping of the onion.  I added just a few spoonful of water and a  slice of bacon cut in pieces (I'm not a vegetarian).

It's definitely worth a try (I want to do it again this week) cheap, nutritious and excellent.

Personally I would for preference use any of the loose leaf varieties of lettuce over the cabbage headed varieties. Loose leaf varieties would lay flatter on the peas and onions.

Great tips Davy.. I'm a big fan of Salads, especially the Mediterranean Salads..

Greeks call it Khodrah, "a common name for vegetables in both Arabic and Greek"

Since we're discussing this I wanna recommend "Pomegranate molasses sauce " It's a Middle Eastern sauce.. I always add it to all kinds of Salads!

Especially Fattoush it's super healthy.. I love the olive oil too!

Pomegranate Molasses Health Benefits: How To Make It At Home? Link Removed due to a complaint - Doone

The pomegranate molasses sauce is something I will have to have a go at making. We can get fresh pomegranate juice here failing that the pomegranates and make the juice myself. Thank you Hope for the link for the sauce.

Hope, do you have any personal recipes for salads that have been hand down from mother to daughter? 

I like salads myself and am interested in other cultures cuisine and their ingredients.

•  Khyar bi laban 
a cucumber salad with yogurt.
It is a vegetarian favorite. This recipe is perfect if you like to use organic ingredients. Served cold, it makes a great addition to any meat dish or eaten as an appetizer.

Ingredients:

4 cucumbers, peeled and cut into thin slices
1 1/2 pints plain yogurt
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon fresh mint
1 clove garlic

Preparation:

Place sliced cucumbers in strainer and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.

Crush garlic and mash together with mint using a mortar and pestle or wood spoon.

Combine yogurt and garlic mint mixture together. Stir well.

Fold in cucumber slices and serve cold.

Add mint as a garnish to the top.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Fattoush or Peasant Salad:

Ingredients

2 cups shredded lettuce (romaine and/or iceberg)
1 large or 2 small cucumbers, small dice
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley, leaves only, no stems
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, no stems
1/2 to 1 green pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon sumac
2 pieces of pita bread toasted until golden brown, broken into pieces the size of a quarter

Dressing:

1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 to 4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper

Directions
In a small bowl mix all dressing ingredients well.
Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 to 1 cup dressing. Serve immediately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Tabbouleh

Ingredients:

2 bunches fresh parsley
1 cup mint leaf (fresh or 1 tbsp. dried)
1 bunch scallion
5 diced tomatoes or 1 (12 ounce) can pine cone tomatoes
3 lemons, juice of
1 cup wheat bulgur (med or fine)
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions:
1 Clean and wash vegetables.
2 Chop small and put in large mixing bowl.
3 Wash and soak wheat 10 minutes.
4 Squeeze water from wheat and add to vegetables. Add lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5 Finely add chopped onions to the recipe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Greek Salad

I call this Greek Salad or feta salad

Ingredients:

2 cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 lbs tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium red onion, chopped, then rinsed and drained
1 1/3 cups kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 lb feta cheese
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Preparation.

1. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, and olives.

2. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano.

3. Break feta cheese into about 1/2-inch chunks and add to cucumber mixture. Add dressing and mix gently, adding salt and pepper to taste.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~All these recipes above are mediterranean and middle eastern.

Thank you Hope much appreciated. 

The salad you called Greek Salad I would call it that because of the Kalamata Olives and the feta cheese both are Greek ingredients.We have a similar cheese here in the Ukraine called Brinza. I can substitute it for the feta in the recipe. 

The Bulgur I am going to have to make my self as we cannot obtain it here. It is simple enough to create.

Tabbouleh is a dish that I have seen written in a variety of books and wonder what it was, now I know. 

I absolutely ADORE all the salads you posted, Hope. There was a Lebanese restaurant a block from work that made the best Fattoush! Now I have to make it myself, LOL, but I'm pretty good at it :-) I cheat, though, I but the toasted pita chips :-) It works with lavasch (Armenian flatbread) chips too.

Thank you :)

Hope in the "Fattoush or Peasant Salad" there is an ingredient that I am not familiar with.

"sumac"  What is this ingredient?

Sumac is a spice (link)

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service