Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Idaho Spud commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"That was a smile-inducer.  "
39 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married. She was admired…"
5 hours ago
"Needs an extra large."
6 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"On astrology:"
7 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Loren, I agree that we need the word "atheism" as long as it's not a corollary of…"
7 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply an admission of the…"
12 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Government guidelines say facemasks' should be worn over both mouth and carrotSnowman built by…"
12 hours ago
"Good one Mrs B"
13 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Chris B, thanks for the Martin Luther King, Jr. quote!"
13 hours ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
15 hours ago
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"I'm sure those two were cut from the same cloth."
yesterday
"Hahahaha....we even have Kick Ass & Smart Ass coffees..."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"We got store-bought bread cubes, & a tiny cup of water for the sacrament, so I didn't miss…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Doone. As a person who voted to remain in the EU, I'm not at all surprised that it's…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"That's very sad I enjoyed watching Mira Furlan in Babylon 5. A very underestimated TV…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"To the list of those recently departed, I should like to add the name of Mira Furlan.  Those…"
yesterday
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Which is the dumbest country in the World…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"When Galileo rejected the Vatican’s astronomical dogma, he wasn’t rejecting only their…"
yesterday
"When we in the UK say that man deserves a kick up the arse it just wouldn't sound right any…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Open Society University Network: Local and global issues

I ran across this plan for education that takes on the challenges facing us in 2020. We have had such poor leadership in the basic principles of democracy, sustainability, inequality, the use of arts and science for this modern age, and the struggles to gain global justice I look for actions I can take. I liked the specific goals addressing the major issues of modern society. The article is a good read.

If our government is not doing the job that a robust democracy should do, we need to find ways to meet the threats personally and confront our government to do a better job of governing.

We are not victims if we stand up to the challenges. I made a simple outline of the goals, and I hope it gives you some possible action ideas. 

Open Society University Network: Local and global issues 

https://opensocietyuniversitynetwork.org/about/themes/

A. DEMOCRATIC PRACTICE

OSUN’s programs:

1. explore the principles, progress, and challenges of open society and democracy at a time of authoritarian resurgence;  

2. examine what makes an open society;  

3. investigate how open society is weakened in today’s world; and 

4. research how to advance open society in the face of contemporary challenges.

B. SUSTAINABILITY   Sustainability is a defining challenge of our age, as human enterprise ambitions continue on a collision course with planetary life support systems. 

OSUN’s programs:

1. provide a distinctive combination of interdisciplinary study, environmental, social, economic, and governance dimensions; 

2. research science rigorously; 

3. emphasize sustainability as a decision and leadership challenge; and 

4. orient toward explicit solutions and truly global perspectives.  

C INEQUALITY  

COSUN’s programs: 

1. explore the causes and consequences of inequalities within and between societies, including social and political dimensions of inequality, and 

2. examine various forms of inequality related to gender, race, ethnicity, and forced displacement. 

D. HUMAN RIGHTS    Human rights are under assault around the world. 

OSUN’s programs: 

1. deepen the theoretical interdisciplinary knowledge;

2. strengthen the skills for empirical analysis to defend and advance human rights; 

3. interweave the study of human rights law, politics, and advocacy, focusing on the power of aesthetic, performative, and curatorial forms in human rights struggles.

E. ARTS AND OPEN SOCIETY   

OSUN’s programs:

1. promote expression of contemporary life, including dissent, difference, and the full power of the human imagination,  

2. advance cross-cultural study and presentation of work in fields ranging from poetry to film, photography, and dance; and

3. connect the arts to politics and society, including freedom of expression and struggles against oppressive regimes.

F.  GLOBAL JUSTICE   Many of the twenty-first century’s most urgent global problems—from climate change to forced migration due to global pandemics—present unprecedented challenges to humankind and have given rise to new forms of social, political, and economic injustice.  

OSUN programs:

1. explore how individuals and groups can organize within and across state borders; 

2. develop new mechanisms of global governance; 

3. agitate for social change; 

4. hold power accountable; and 

5. build more just and inclusive societies at the local, national, and global levels.

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Joan interesting read. Very helpful.

In the sixties, the then Labour government created the Open University where a person could enrol in any courses and eventually get a degree. Of course, this was before the internet but even then a working-class person could do all their courses remotely. Slowly over the years, Tory governments weakened the system, so now it's only a shadow of what it once was.

Our courses - The Open University

...over the years, Tory governments weakened the [Open University] system...

Reminds me of the quote from our Kleptocrat-in-Chief on my side of the pond:
"I love the poorly educated."

Oligarchs and authoritarians need people to act against their own interests in supporting their regimes and policies.

In fairness, the broader context of Trump's quote from February 2016, after winning Nevada's caucus on his way to getting the Republican Party nomination, was "We won with young. We won with old. We won with highly educated. We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated." But the deadly lying narcissist has made it abundantly clear, both before and after taking office, that his appreciation of support, money, and votes from the "poorly educated" has nothing to do with actual love, where someone's happiness and well-being is at least as important to you as your own.

Stephen, the sixties were a tumultuous time, with the Civil Rights Movement in full swing, women's lib raged through the campuses and communities, people questioned old traditions, especially religion, and also there was a lot of political rowdiness. The Viet Nam war rattled our cages and assassinations rocked out boats. It started well, with the hope and promise of the Camelot Era of John Kennedy, and abruptly ended with his assassination. 

Your nation's Labour government in the 1960s creating the Open University was part of that time of making life a bit easier for the working class and then weakened by the conservative Tory government. I can't remember who said of Great Britain, "if the 1950s were in black and white, 1960s were in technicolor."

The Beatles - Help! [Blackpool Night Out, ABC Theatre, Blackpool, United Kingdom]  Television: Sunday 01/08/1965.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service