Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Sacred....shmacred.....I always think....bull----!"
18 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The moment you say that any idea system is sacred, whether it’s a religious belief system or…"
6 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Joolz Guide of secret London. Lenin in London - Where The Russian Revolution Was Planned"
7 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahahahaha.....maybe shooting blanks?"
11 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Joseph got busy only after he was told he was getting help"
12 hours ago
Chris B commented on Doone's group World History
"Great! I enjoyed the mosaics in Naples enormously and this is just as beautiful!"
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group World History
"That's fantastic!"
12 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That explains a lot, thanks! Such a destruction!"
13 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group World History
"Extraordinary Roman mosaic & villa discovered beneath farmer's field in Rutland Just the…"
15 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks, Joan.  I found this online. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express"
17 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Totally agreed! It's great to see you again, Joan!"
18 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Good to see you back Joan hope everything is good with you."
18 hours ago
dead jawa posted a blog post

Russell's Lighthouse

I think both theists and atheists don't realize the full ramifications of Russell's Teapot. I would…See More
19 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"@Ian,  here is an answer from " "CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS and the…"
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I swam in this lake years ago."
21 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"BC FLOODS: HIGHWAY UPDATE, COQUIHALLA CONSTRUCTION & TRUDEAU ARRIVAL - Nov. 26, 2021"
22 hours ago
"Good to see you, Joan."
23 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Thanks, Dan Baker, for your wisdom! And thanks, Loren, for your post. "The agnostic says,…"
23 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hahaha.....sounds like Rick too."
23 hours ago
"And a good author."
23 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

This is where you can introduce yourself to the Atheist Universe community, in as many or as few words as you'd like.

Who are you, what brought you here, where are you coming from, when were you made aware of AU, why did you decide to join...

Add yourself to the Member Map.

Views: 11042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have missed you! A/N died what about 2-3 years ago. I found there was not much activity so I putt my focus on other things like my YouTube channel. I tried agnostic.com which I am very active in but now thanks to you and others I have more of a teaching role there as the site does not have many of the intellectual calaber of A/N. I hope I can again resume interactions with people like you that challenge me! Reasearching is great but interaction with others where I get questions I have not thought of is where understanding comes from. I hope to be active here!

Hello all, new here

I am from the UK, I am 37 years of age and I have been atheist since I was 19, I was raised Methodist and believed EVERYTHING taught to me until I questioned it aged 12 and then had a crisis of faith and it was scary! I knew that the bible made no sense but I didn't have the mindset to see past my indoctrinated thinking... so I prayed, sought help from my mother and reverend and read the bible... it didn't help

I then met a family through a boy I befriended on holiday when I was 13, it was a rainy Sunday afternoon and I was playing board games in my friend's caravan with his mum, dad and sister. My friend's mum asked what I would normally be doing on a Sunday if not on holiday, I answered attending church.... my response was one of expectation, like everyone attended church as it is what every does... my friend's mum replied that they didn't and that is because they do not believe in the existence of God and that they were atheist and what it meant. There was no attempt to change my mind or "convert" me , she stated it matter of fact

It was an epiphany for me, I had these feelings but no word to describe them

I didn't de-convert immediately, I wrestled with the idea for about another year, so I was in a state of flux if you will. I attended a Roman Catholic school and there was a bible worship group who came when I was still 13, they sang songs, did activities and workshops..... this caused me to question things again. I decided to give religion another chance, so I studied the bible again but it made even less sense and just felt wrong....

I then became more of an agnostic, denying the existence of the biblical God but holding on to the concept of there being "some God" out there, but it just being that I couldn't explain it

I studied science more as the years ticked by, aged 19 I reached the conclusion that science can explain so much, with evidence and that what it can't it is at least honest about. This led me to conclude there is no God at all, no entity responsible for the creation of the universe, this planet or life.. and that science can and will find these answers out in the fullness of time

I have since been atheist, learnt more about critical thinking, logical fallacies and the true destructive nature of religion in all of its many forms globally. I turned 37 October 31st last year and shortly after decided that I am anti-theist, I cannot reconcile the existence of religion with the continuation of humanity

I am very active on Facebook on pages, forums and groups, debunking the plethora of erroneous thinking people have about atheism

Good to meet you. I also didn't have the word when I was a kid, but I never could buy the gawd thing, nor believe mormonism was the right religion while all others were wrong. Good to see you found reality.

G'day Edward and welcome.
There is one thing one about science that the majority overlook and that is you don't have to believe just accept what it says, think about it for awhile then move on then when new evidence comes to hand you do the same again and change your view to suit the new update and move on once again.
I will leave you a few quotes for you to ponder on

What is religion? Compassion for all things that have life. – Hitopadesa.( Sanskrit text )

All wise men are of the same religion, and keep it to themselves. – Lord Shaftesbury.

There are two, and only two, forms of possible gospel or "good message"—

one, that men are saved by themselves doing what is right:

and the other, that they are saved by believing that somebody also did right instead of them.

The first of these gospels is eternally true and holy; the other eternally false, damnable, and damning.

– John Ruskin.(1819 – 1900)

I am quite aware of the effects of religion. Also aware why religion is prominent in your Societal Structure to keep the lower echelons of Society in place and bow down to the upper echelons. That structure is what will destroy humanity more so than religion as it is just tool of the Social structure. 

I know you may disagree but every person has questions that science cannot  explain nor can organised religion. It is these questions that create your own internal religion as you seek the answers to them.

Anyhow have a great life and leave this thought from the Stoic Epicurus

If the gods listened to the prayers of men, all humankind would quickly perish since they constantly pray for many evils to befall one another. – Epicurus

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service