Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

RichardtheRaelian posted a photo

I should wear this photo as a badge of honor!

It should read,"Alliance for Atheist Extraterrestrial diplomatic Contact!
1 hour ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Charlotte Gale
""Happy Birthday!""
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the…"
20 hours ago
Chris B commented on Doone's group World History
"Very! And beautiful!"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Crystal
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Elna looks pretty in her blue dress, standing in a field of green grass and young trees. "
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Ian, I have been out of commission for a while and did not realize you and Elna were no longer…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Hope things work better this time."
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Terrific news, Ian!"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Best wishes to both of you Ian"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group World History
"That's quite impressive!"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group World History
"Medieval necklace found near Northampton internationally important Archaeologists have found a…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Best wishes to both of you!"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Oh these foolish men! They could not create so much as a worm, but they create gods by the dozens.…"
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"By some sort of coincidence, serendipity or whatever, I'm now back together with former…"
yesterday
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for M.M.J. Gregory
""Happy Birthday!""
Tuesday
Stephen Brodie left a comment for henry nelson
"Welcome to AU Henry "
Tuesday
Neal left a comment for henry nelson
"Click to see today's hot content on Atheist Universe. Jump here to…"
Monday
henry nelson is now a member of Atheist Universe
Monday
Stephen Brodie commented on A Former Member's group CRITICAL THINKING
"I remember that one Chris. Thank you for showing it to me again. Very interesting."
Monday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

This is where you can introduce yourself to the Atheist Universe community, in as many or as few words as you'd like.

Who are you, what brought you here, where are you coming from, when were you made aware of AU, why did you decide to join...

Add yourself to the Member Map.

Views: 12680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tend to follow these precepts spoken of many centuries past 

What is religion? Compassion for all things that have life. – Hitopadesa.( Sanskrit text )

What religion do I profess ! None of all you name to me.

Why none? Out of respect to religion. – Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller(1759 – 1805)

All wise men are of the same religion, and keep it to themselves. – Lord Shaftesbury [Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3rd Earl of Shaftesbury 1671 to 1713 ]

May discuss the so called Holy books of supposedly called religion to try to find a reason for it all.  

I'm a dyed in the wool atheist, & don't buy a creator gawd thing. Any higher power in my opinion is nature, plain & simple.

In my opinion, Deism was and is the last groping of the religious to accept logic and reason and at the same time hang onto the idea of an all-knowing but at the same time disinterested Gawd.

i think i agree with you.

Deists like Diderot were comfortable with a god who doesn't interfere with human affairs

Is it true that many call themselves atheists because they have become frustrated with the hypocrisy of "traditional" religions?

To me, the biggest hypocrisy is for a given religion to claim it is the "one and only" religion.

Attached is my reflection on this condition.

I'm wondering if I should be considering atheism in this essay.

Are atheists hoping for something similar to enlightenment at the top of the mountain?

Do they point at the moon?

Attachments:

The Universe is too large to need a God or God(s), especially as most Deist Gods are a bit dense and out of touch with Physics and Cosmology.  Dark Energy and Dark Matter are way more interesting than anything in a Holy Book.

If there is a God, he, she or it probably looks like this...Image

Baphomet?

Baphomet?

Non capisco

I live here and so do you.  The universe is awesome, the God of the Bible is not awesome

Awesome poster!! - http://geni.us/QeMM -AmazonAfflink

For anyone who wonder what is written in bottom-left corner, here is:

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

Why did you even bother?

I've heard that story before, and I can tell you what is irrefutable the story is utterly stupid beyond belief.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service