Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"The wishes were good but reality is harder. It so hard not to lose the space you need."
51 minutes ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Sally Carmen Carmen
""Happy Birthday!""
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"
1 hour ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I want to thank everyone for all the good wishes you have sent me about the mugging. I felt I was…"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"He's so good at these."
9 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Liberal Redneck - Liz Cheney and the New GOP"
9 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"WOTM: Down. But Certainly Not Out."
10 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
12 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Kill a man and you're a murderer, kill many and you're a conqueror, kill them all,…"
16 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Priscilla Casity
""Happy Birthday!""
yesterday
Stephen Brodie replied to Loren Miller's discussion Non-Religious LGBTQ People In America (American Atheists) in the group Gender Blender
"Thanks Loren for the PDF link very interesting "
yesterday
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Gender Blender
Thumbnail

Non-Religious LGBTQ People In America (American Atheists)

I am in recent receipt of a summary of a brief from the U.S. Secular Survey on non-religious LGBTQ…See More
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Adriana's group Gender Blender
"I note that there hasn't been a lot of activity in this particular group in a while.  As…"
yesterday
Loren Miller joined Adriana's group
Thumbnail

Gender Blender

We aim to discuss all gender issues, not just women issues. Society views of gender affects us from…See More
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"All good ones, especially the know-it-all."
yesterday
Davy commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Correction for part one None of this will ever achieved whilst ever you hand your control of your…"
yesterday
"Part two But how you say? By mastering your emotions, mastering your passions, mastering your…"
yesterday
"Just a little light reading but may hap it will give you food for thought. In two parts due to…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
""The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

This is where you can introduce yourself to the Atheist Universe community, in as many or as few words as you'd like.

Who are you, what brought you here, where are you coming from, when were you made aware of AU, why did you decide to join...

Add yourself to the Member Map.

Views: 11658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Turn:

Born in Brooklyn, but resided on Long Island with an atheist dad and a culturally jewish mom.  I was raised in a jewish home but without any significant religious training. When I was young my grandmother lived with us and kept a kosher kitchen, lit the candles on the sabbath and prepared the meal, but after she died all that quickly faded away. 

I never believed in god - there was not ever a question in my mind that 'he' existed.  My dad never admitted to me that he was an atheist until I was in my late twenties, but I instinctively knew that he was a non-believer since childhood.  He always loved astronomy, and as a young child Dad would drag out his telescope and show me the wonders of the night sky.  He loved to garden so he spent his one day off each week working in the yard, but if it rained we often took off to the Natural Museum of History and Hayden Planetarium in NYC.  If I ever 'prayed' for anything when I was little, it was for rain! haha

I hated school, was a terrible student, had no real friends until HS when I turned Hippie and political.  As any good hippie did in those days, I dropped out and hitch-hiked to San Francisco, connected with a group of vagabond hippie types who were living in abandoned buildings, eating in missions, and panhandling enough for candy bars and other tidbits.  When I finally landed a job, I was able to rent a room, living on the streets was just not for me.  For once, I started to think seriously about my future and made the realistic decision that I had to go to college.  So I returned to Long Island, worked for my dad, re-enrolled in my old HS and completed the classes necessary to graduate (got all 'A's' btw).  But try getting into a decent 4 year college with a lousy HS transcript...  I knew that the only way I'd have a slim chance was by going to each college and interviewing.  I hoped that if they met me, they'd let me in.  (And it worked.)  I attended Antioch University, graduated with a BFA and later went on to get my masters in art education at Brooklyn and Queens college. 

Moved to North Carolina where I was a middle school art teacher for many years. It wasn't too long until I fell madly in love, moved into his nice home in a (boring) suburban neighborhood and had my daughter.  Although living in NC was nice enough, I never felt it was home.  If it hadn't been that my mother became seriously ill and my father desperately needed help with her, I don't know if I ever would have moved back to NY, but I'm glad I did.

Skipping MANY years ahead>>  I'm now very happily living in upstate NY, enjoy the rural landscape and the homegrown organic veggies.  Yes, I'm a vegetarian, devoted animal lover, green minded, single (my love died 7 years ago from complications of Hep C), a fierce social-democrat, good cook, terrible gardener, and angry atheist. Not to mention your friendly moderator here on Atheist Universe, the BEST social networking group ever!

I met an atheist who was raised Jewish.. he lived in Saudi Arabia... he said that he still forced to have a Bar-Mitzvah and go to a Jewish school where they had to pray every day.

can you believe this?,.. I couldn't believe that!

I was still in high school when I decided to become famous for not being famous. It took me 30 years or so to realize how stupid a pursuit it is, considering it's already difficult enough to have people take my lack of seriousness seriously.

You'll have to expand on this, Jaume :-) Plus, you failed in your pursuit of NOT being famous here because you are very famous in AU and other atheist sites! :-))

...and are taken very seriously.

Wish there was a 'like' button on comments... I third the motion.

I would "like" if I could use the like button on posts or blogs I really like... Actually I'm already doing it... naughty me !

Born and raised in California, I was brought up in the Southern Baptist tradition. I became an atheist at 14 after reading the bible cover to cover. I'm a walking oxymoron, being retired Marine Corps Sergeant Major, and a Berkeley graduate, where I majored in physical anthropology. I am a liberal, for the same reason I am an atheist: reason.

I am another fitness nut here at AU. I enjoy kayaking, surfing, biking, and hiking. I have been married for 25 plus years to my blushing bride, Charlene. Currently our life focus is caring for my 17 year old son who was recently diagnosed with Medulloblastoma.

I'm loving getting to know our members better.  How's thing with your son Bill?  You come to mind many a time.

Things are definitely better this week. Devin is getting used to this witch's brew of drugs. We were up at 4 a.m. to take him into surgery where he had a portacath installed, so now they can give him drugs like putting oil into an old Chevy.

Good to hear thinks are better this week. Did your kid ever set up his website?

Char decided not to go public with it, at least not yet. We have a calendar set up where people can sign up to help. We are also doing updates for friends and family via email.

But get this: the boys in his boy scout troop got him an ipad, so he can skype, text, blog, and keep up with all his friends. I'm kind of overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service