Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"No-brainer there. Pun intended."
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Which is it, is man one of God’s blunders or is God one of man’s? -- Friedrich Wilhelm…"
8 hours ago
Richard Levison posted a photo

Wouldn't it be great if she came out as a lesbian atheist!

Gorgeous as always we love you unconditionally!
9 hours ago
Richard Levison left a comment for pansy
""Happy Birthday!""
9 hours ago
Chris B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"A great one, Patricia!"
12 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Boghossian has been very provocative with the goal of creating debate over several years, including…"
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"It is disgusting."
13 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"That's disgusting! That is breaking down science from inside out!"
14 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"'My university sacrificed ideas for ideology': Read the terrifying testimony of how…"
18 hours ago
"That looks pleasant, Chris. I presume the large building is the hospital."
23 hours ago
"It gets so discouraging. That damn scump era also changed many things for a lot of different…"
yesterday
"We had elections in March and still no new government! They behave like a bunch of pre-schoolers."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
yesterday
"Looks very walkable there. We all need to find ways to relieve stress. Another minority…"
yesterday
"The virus numbers are rather low at the moment, but I haven't paid much attention. I spent a…"
yesterday
"Sounds loke a good trip, despite the religious nuts with one interest. 60 miles = 96.5 kilometers.…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"AND....kids figure it out while their age numbers are still in the single digits."
yesterday
"Welcome back, Randall! Sounds like a great trip! No nurse visits here, Ian, corona changed that.…"
yesterday
"Welcome back, Randall. Glad you enjoyed the trip despite the stress. Hopefully your feet have…"
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I've returned from my Road Scholar trip to Northern Spain. Walking 60 miles on the Camino de…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

For some reason, the subject of incivility and cruel behavior in social media sites fascinates me. I think it does say quite a bit about human behavior and what happens when you change social interactions in a radical way, very, very quickly. At the risk of sounding too much like an evolutionary psychologist, it seems that once you remove the closeness, the in-the-flesh interactions that we evolved to need and that are necessary for thriving as a member of our species, many aspects of our behavior go completely out of whack. And to reverse-paraphrase Steven Pinker, the "better angels" of our nature get totally beat up by the "worse demons" of our nature. It certainly seems that empathy and inclusiveness get trampled by cruelty and tribalism. 

At the same time, social media allow for many good causes that appeal to the "better angels" of our nature, to actually exist and be effective, such as relief for natural disasters victims, campaigns pro-human rights, etc. I'm not trying to say social media is the bane of civilization. I do enjoy interacting with people through social media very much, and I find it an enriching experience because I can "meet" people from all over the world and learn their perspectives. 

Perhaps the problem lies in lack of "policing" as in "social policing." What I mean by that is the kind of community effect that comes from knowing that other people are watching (and judging) our behavior, the kind of phenomenon described by Philip Zimbardo in The Lucifer Effect, that anonymity stimulates destructive behavior. Many social networking sites do not moderate very effectively or moderate too late, once the interactions have escalated in intensity and nastiness. 

I was prompted to write this discussion because of an article about meanness or extreme rudeness on Twitter (you should read it, it has gossip galore), and I want to have your opinions or thoughts on this important issue. The article says that perhaps the same ferocious incivility was happening but we just could not see it because it wasn't so hugely public. At the same time, the article compares online incivility to road rage, a case of rational people behaving irrationally. It's possible. Here are some excerpts I thought interesting:

But Reynol Junco, a psychologist and social media researcher at Harvard University's Berkman Center for Internet and Society, believes the Twitter haters have it all wrong. In a phone interview, he called the idea of blaming social media for incivility “absurd,” and he pointed to Twitter’s prominent role in the last election as evidence that social media actually improves civic engagement. “A lot of this is about perception,” he said. “People assume that because we couldn’t see all this incivility before Twitter that it wasn’t happening, but these exchanges are reflective of conversations that are happening in the real world.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And on the subject of social conventions and self-regulation as a community, perhaps shunning the offenders (the oldest form for human communities to punish transgressors, cheaters, etc.) is simply going to transfer from the real world into the online world, and that will solve the issue:

In fact, according to Weber Shandwick’s study, more than half of Americans say they are “tuning out” media because of what they consider uncivil commentary. (Are you paying attention, Rupert?) That same study also suggests that incivility on Twitter, in the long term, may be equally shunned. Half of Americans now say they have de-friended or blocked someone online because of incivility, while more than a quarter have dropped out of an online community completely. Junco cautioned that “trolls are just a part of the Internet space,” but he added that new technologies like social media should never be discounted simply because people have figured out ways to abuse them. He cites Carl Sagan, who famously believed that humans will one day venture to the stars -- that is, if we don’t kill each other first.

DISCUSS!

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is very uncivil for you guys not to comment :-))

I want to have your opinions or thoughts on this important issue.

Indeed. I've bookmarked your post, I was planning to return later. It would be uncivil of me to contribute just a token comment for civility's sake =)

hahahaha! That poor dog needs a coat and booties!

I needed time to contemplate my view.

Incivility on social networks occurs because of the ability to be anonymous on them. Force them to make known everything about themselves publicly on the network would kerb their incivility on the network. But also it would crimp the social networks appeal.

I agree. Anonymity is sometimes needed for the protection of the people involved, and especially in our case since being an atheist is not safe in many places, and not just in Muslim countries; in many places in America, being an atheist openly would for example,endanger your job or your standing in the community. Sad but true. 

But one can shun, ostracize, aggressive trolls even if they are anonymous. It's a matter of standing up to bullies and speaking out against them. 

I quite agree with you A. As life is not black and white but shades of grey!

As well as moderators that have the guts to bite the bullet and step in when someone is bully  or going over board with being uncivil on the site and boot them off the site permanently! 

Yes, moderators are key. It's also nice when users o social networks step up to the plate too and voice their disapproval. I have a feeling that online violence sometimes escalates because some people egg the trolls on.

I usually dont start incivility, but I do once it's started take it a little too far.

You can work on that, I'm sure :-) 

I need to work at it, I dont threaten violence or strike, but I have a sharp tongue and am known to belittle people to tears when I am angry. I am not proud of it, and it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Fuck off.

I love you, Neal. And this is typed from my brand new iPad Mini :)

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service