Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Terence Meaden commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"Joan, I am thinking of using your comment in the forthcoming book: “And like language, a…"
52 minutes ago
Terence Meaden commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"Re: the original meaning of quare, over 2000 years ago. Hmmm, Joan, I'm glad you raised this…"
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Onyango Makagutu, I like the way you worded the meaning of existence. While trying to find…"
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"It wasn't until I was teaching Life Skills in our prison system in Spokane that I ran across…"
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"Terry, I like your quote from Steve Bruce:  "Christian is not ‘natural’; it…"
4 hours ago
"Terry, I have not seen or heard this word used before;   "quare:" n. An…"
4 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"That was really on point."
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Julien's group The Music Box
5 hours ago
"quare, "
5 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Thankfully, being "far right" is not being allowed, at least not in the presidential…"
5 hours ago
Onyango Makagutu commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Joan I think I am with you on this. A stone exists without justifying its existence before reason.…"
5 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Does "Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason."Does it?…"
6 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Chris B, as always, you offer sound council. I will wait for a calm time and share my inability to…"
6 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Stephen ... you don't want to guess how down I am with Engel's statement.  If reason…"
7 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Political Islam in Pakistan"
10 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up…"
11 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Last night's news said they were checking into their own ranks."
16 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"12 US National Guard troops removed from inauguration - with some 'linked to far…"
16 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Terence Meaden's group "Q--is for quare, queries and quotes,"
"Thank you, Terry."
16 hours ago
"OPTIMISM AMONG WE ATHEISTS CHAPTER…"
17 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

One of the worst sayings I ever heard is

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

There is something fundamentallementaly wrong with that mindset.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Donivans may be another thing to look at,

Donovians?

May be of interest to some.

There is of course mor to the information.

Image caption Przewalski’s horses are the closest wild relatives of the domestic horse

Horses were domesticated 6,000 years ago on the grasslands of Ukraine, southwest Russia and west Kazakhstan, a genetic study shows.

Domestic horses then spread across Europe and Asia, breeding with wild mares along the way, research published in the journal PNAS suggests.

The work, by a Cambridge University team, brings together two competing theories on horse domestication.

The matter has been hotly contested by scientists.

Archaeological evidence suggests horses were tamed in the western part of the Eurasian Steppe (Ukraine, southwest Russia and west Kazakhstan).

Experts think they were used for riding, and as a source of meat and milk.

However, these archaeological clues - such as traces of horse milk found in ancient pots from the western Eurasian Steppe - are at odds with evidence from mitochondrial DNA.

These studies suggest domestication happened in many places across Europe and Asia.

The new study looked at nuclear DNA samples taken from 300 horses living in eight countries in Europe and Asia.

Genetic data was fed into computer models developed to look at different scenarios for domestication.

Dr Vera Warmuth from the Department of Zoology at Cambridge said: "It shows that horse domestication originated in the western part of the Steppes and that the spread of domestication involved lots of integration of wild horses."

The theory explains why evidence from mitochondrial DNA - which contains genes inherited solely from the mother - suggests horses were domesticated many times, in different places.

In fact, it appears that wild mares were used to re-stock herds of existing domesticated horses, perhaps because they did not breed easily in captivity.

This is the case with Przewalski's horse, which is the closest wild relative of modern horses.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service