Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Sure."
2 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Someone at Atheist Nexus had written, "It's not. But it is. But it's not",…"
6 hours ago
Grinning Cat commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"It's intolerable that people's allegiance to their invisible god should put anyone's…"
6 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby. -- Penn Jillette Or like bald is a…"
8 hours ago
Richard Levison left a comment for Lee Kikuchi
""Happy Birthday!""
10 hours ago
Stephen Brodie left a comment for William Jade
"Welcome to AU William."
17 hours ago
Stephen Brodie left a comment for William Jade
"Click to see today's hot content on Atheist Universe. Jump here to introduce yourself Or…"
17 hours ago
William Jade is now a member of Atheist Universe
17 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
17 hours ago
Stephen Brodie replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Mechanism of the End-Permian Extinction Unveiled in the group Science!
"Interesting post. Thanks Ruth"
17 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Neil Weightman's group Atheist Cat Servants
20 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Science!
Thumbnail

Mechanism of the End-Permian Extinction Unveiled

"Nickel isotopes link Siberian Traps aerosol particles to the end-Permian mass extinction,"...the…See More
yesterday
Paul Smith commented on Richard Levison's photo
Thumbnail

Her name is Flipina!

"Her name may be Edwina but i doubt it's Filipina."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"Menopause Rhapsody"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"It never ends........"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"EXCLUSIVE: Teacher suspended after showing a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad to pupils during an RE…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity. -- William Butler…"
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Loren, thanks for the link to Deepwater Horizon. "Hope ain't a tactic!"  Hope…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Hmmmmm"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
""Shrines! Shrines! Surely you don't believe in the gods. What's your argument?…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

The recent horrible events in Connecticut have finally(?) brought forward the taboo topic of gun control. It was high time. It's even perhaps too late, if we consider the 300,000,000 guns that are estimated to be in the US alone.

Do you personally own firearms?

Yes?
No?

It would be interesting to elaborate below on the hows and whys.

Views: 4316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This LaPierre guy is beyond creepy.

I think people (like his mythical law-abiding citizen) have begun to notice that even though all he talks about is mental health, video games, the movies, this guy is actually an ammunition salesman.

And he looks the part.

Black Lawmaker Receives Death Threat Over Gun Bill: ‘There Will Be Blood! I’m Coming For You, N—–’

By Ian Millhiser on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Franklin Sain, who allegedly threatened to kill state Rep. Rhonda Fields (D-CO)

Late last week, police arrested a man for allegedly sending threatening messages to Colorado state Rep. Rhonda Fields (D), a supporter of gun safety laws featured in a recent ThinkProgress video. Fields sponsored bills banning high-capacity magazines in Colorado and requiring universal background checks for gun sales and transfers.

According to police, a man named Franklin Sain sent six emails, one voicemail and one written letter to Fields that were riddled with obscenities, racial slurs, sexist language and violent threats:

“I guarantee there is not enough law enforcement or military to stop an all-out overthrow of this government if you or that n—– president tries to take our guns,” one e-mail dated Feb. 13 reads. “Guarantee we will make World War I and II look like child’s play, many will die. Be prepared.”

Another e-mail expresses hope that someone would “Giffords” both Fields and Rep. Beth McCann, a reference to the 2011 mass shooting that nearly killed Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords.

This only gets better/worse. How about a patron saint for gun owners?

The Quest to Make This Lizard-Sniping Italian the Patron Saint of Handguns

An ex-gun rights lobbyist wants the Church to recognize the miracle of standing your ground.
—By Tim Murphy | Wed Feb. 27, 2013 3:01 AM PST

Saint Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows. French Passionists Archives/Wikimedia Commons; MISHELLA/Shutterstock; photo illustration by Carolyn Perot

Gabriel Possenti shot first.

In 1859, the Italian village of Isola found itself under attack. Two dozen soldiers occupied the village and, as was their custom, set about torching, raping, and generally terrorizing. Then a twenty-something student at a nearby Catholic seminary pulled out two knockoff Colt Navy Model .36 caliber revolvers and ended the hostilities with one shot. Possenti, dressed in his traditional habit, showed off his marksmanship by sizing up a lizard 20 paces away and blasting it to bits. The invaders fled.

At least, that's how John Snyder tells it. Snyder, 73, is the founder of the Saint Gabriel Possenti Society, an organization dedicated to getting Possenti, who was canonized in 1920, officially certified as the "patron saint of handgunners." Wednesday is Saint Gabriel Possenti Day—an annual event that this year coincides with the Senate Judiciary Committee’s hearing on assault weapons.

The problem, according to Catholic authorities: Possenti never shot that lizard. He wasn't much of a marksman at all. In fact, the entire incident never even happened. Officially, Possenti is Saint Gabriel of the Sorrowful Mother and, as designated by Pope Benedict XV, the patron saint of Catholic youth. According was Fr. Arthur Carrillo, director of the Passionists' Office of Mission Effectiveness, he was quite the dancer.

In the Good News Dept. - Ted Nugent fired from The Discovery Channel, pro-gun show cancelled

In a move that caused millions to cheer, Ted Nugent has been fired and will no longer be promoting guns on The Discovery Channel.

As it turns out "Ted Nugent's Gun Country" was not a popular program, only drawing 864,000 viewers by the Nielsen Ratings system. Although according to rawstory.comthe low ratings were not the reason for the cancellation, but rather Nugent's close connection with the NRA. In the wake of Sandy Hook it is simply bad business for the network to promote guns which is why "American Guns" has also been cancelled.

Without a television show to bring Nugent the notoriety that he enjoyed in the 80s, the past-his-prime rocker may now finally disappear into right-wing obscurity. Discovery has no plans to bring Nugent back.

SOURCE

#3. The NRA Doesn't Represent Most Gun Owners

#2. Many NRA Members Join Just to Join Gun Clubs

#1. The NRA Really Represents Gun Manufacturers

Not to mention their twisted morality, re: the fog of virtues they constantly invoke.

if every gun owner was a crazed as the NRA, there'd be even more mass murders. Happily, the vast majority are fairly normal.

I would agree. I have been around guns since I was a small kid. I enjoy shooting them. I was a member of the NRA until I turned 17. This was the time when the NRA was supporting the "cop killer bullets". This was a WTF moment for me, as it was for quite few of people I knew. 

Wasn't the NRA supposed to be about gun & hunter safety? Guess not.

Yes, the NRA represents gun manufacturers!

False Alarm of the Day: School Shut Down Due To "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" Ringtone

Who voted against simple background checks:

REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED FOR THE PROPOSAL

• Susan Collins (R-ME)
  • Mark Kirk (R-IL)
  • John McCain (R-AZ)
  • Pat Toomey (R-PA)

DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED AGAINST THE PROPOSAL

• Max Baucus (D-MT)    
  • Mark Begich (D-AK)    
  • Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND)    
  • Mark Pryor (D-AR)    
  • Harry Reid (D-NV)  (Voted "no" as a procedural move to preserve option to reintroduce the bill.)

REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED AGAINST THE PROPOSAL

• Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
  • Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
  • John Barrasso (R-WY)
  • Roy Blunt (R-MO)
  • John Boozman (R-AR)
  • Richard Burr (R-NC)
  • Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
  • Dan Coats (R-IN)
  • Tom Coburn (R-OK)
  • Thad Cochran (R-MS)
  • Bob Corker (R-TN)