Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Loren is knowledgeable about these things, you might ask him."
12 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"If these make-believe gods of every strip emerge from the imaginations of the human mind, then it…"
12 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks anyway. I'll do some reading up on the problem."
16 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"“When gods die, self-respect buds”, murmured Orland Fank. “Gods and their…"
18 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I'm sorry, not me. I just hope everything keeps on working, because I'm unable to find…"
22 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Not me, never tried connecting my technologies to one another.....Blue Tooth throws me for a loop."
22 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Help! Can anyone help me with a technical problem? For quite some time I've connected my…"
22 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Adriana's group Atheist Morality
23 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Stephen Brodie's video
Thumbnail

R I P Chuck Berry

"Chuck Berry was a giant in the music business "
23 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian commented on Stephen Brodie's video
Thumbnail

R I P Chuck Berry

"Hi! I liked his music from hearing it in the back to the future movie he will be sorely missed."
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"I've heard of Catholic funeral masses for miscarriages, so at least that barbaric philosophy…"
yesterday
Mrs.B replied to Loren Miller's discussion CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Whatever happened to protecting our kids, & keeping them safe?"
yesterday
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Yeah ... me, too. [smh]"
yesterday
Mrs.B replied to Loren Miller's discussion CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers) in the group Freethought and Funny Bones
yesterday
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Freethought and Funny Bones
Thumbnail

CHURCH S_X SCANDALS! (Betty Bowers)

Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian, has been well known to make observations regarding the…See More
yesterday
Markie Isabella Strange replied to Jacqueline Little's discussion Why? in the group Atheist Morality
"Myth is easy to sell and hard to give up. Even in the secular world, we have mythology that gives…"
yesterday
Markie Isabella Strange added a discussion to the group Atheist Morality
yesterday
Markie Isabella Strange commented on Adriana's group Atheist Morality
"The Multi/Uni-verse doesn't have objective morality, in the wild murder is okay and normal and…"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"The truth belongs to those who seek it, not to those who claim to own it. -- Nicolas de Caritat…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I like IF very much, Stephen!"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

The recent horrible events in Connecticut have finally(?) brought forward the taboo topic of gun control. It was high time. It's even perhaps too late, if we consider the 300,000,000 guns that are estimated to be in the US alone.

Do you personally own firearms?

Yes?
No?

It would be interesting to elaborate below on the hows and whys.

Views: 4423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Assault weapons + Religion + Deeply deranged teen...

The latest Buzzfeed update:

Update, 9:00 P.M. (ET) The Griego's friend Steve Stucker posted the following publicly on Facebook:

I'm torn on what to say about the shooting deaths of Greg Griego, his loving wife Sara, and 3 of their beautiful young children. One of their sons is the suspect, and reportedly has confessed. There are other details I just don't feel comfortable in sharing, out of respect for the family, and the legal process. I know a lot of you are wondering what happened and why. We may never know fully or completely. He was a friend, and this I DO know: Greg was an ex-con and former Gangbanger who completely turned his life around through his faith in Jesus. Greg, with the full support and blessing of his wife and family, spent the rest of his life visiting jails and prisons, sharing his story and changing lives through the love of Christ. He became a Chaplain & Pastor, and worked tirelessly at MDC in what used to be called "The God Pod." He encouraged and mentored so many of us in the Jail Ministries over the years. I can't pretend to speak for him...but I KNOW he would have asked us to forgive the one who did this awful thing, because he never thought it was too late to change a person's heart and mind. Greg knew he himself was imperfect, and I know he struggled with his faults (as we all do) over the years. I also know he never believed there was any man beyond the redemption of Jesus. Please honor his memory and life's work, by showing love, compassion, and forgiveness to those who have done wrong and even horrible things. Let us all fast and pray, and examine our hearts towards those who commit crimes, have mental illness, and feel hopelessly alone. May our Great and Mighty God protect us all, and see us through this darkness.

He obviously DID NOT LIFT A FINGER in this case.

I think Neal is right, god was busy reading about football or something.

Here's a brilliant suggestion:

Yes, I saw that. Brilliant :-)

NRA: Obama Is Ruining Christmas By Tracking Stolen Guns

On Tuesday night, National Rifle Association Executive Vice President and CEO Wayne LaPierre offered the organization’s response to President Obama’s inaugural address and the gun safety proposals he offered earlier this month.

Speaking at the Weatherby Foundation International Hunting and Conservation Award dinner in Reno, Nevada, LaPierre claimed that President Obama seeks to place “every private personal firearms transaction right under the thumb of the federal government” and charged that he will ruin Christmas for young boys across the country by creating a system to track the country’s firearms:

Obama wants you to believe that putting the federal government in the middle of every firearm transaction — except those between criminals — will somehow make us safer.

That means forcing law-abiding people to fork over excessive fees to exercise their rights. Forcing parents to fill out forms to leave a family heirloom to a loved one — standing in line and filling out a bunch of bureaucratic paperwork, just so a grandfather can give a grandson a Christmas gift. He wants to put every private, personal transaction under the thumb of the federal government, and he wants to keep all those names in a massive federal registry.

There are only two reasons for that federal list of gun owners — to tax them or take them. And to anyone who says that’s excessive, Barack Obama says you’re an “absolutist.”

Watch it:

Obama’s proposal for tracking firearms is actually meant to cut down on the number of stolen guns used in crimes, and to be able to trace back weapons to their owners. The reforms will help law enforcement better understand where guns used in violent crime come from.

Maybe it's the NRA supplying the crooks with weapons as a sideline!

Follow the money :)

That too Bill!

Facebook pic of dad with baby and gun leads to arrest

Cincinnati dad Dominic Gaines sat holding a gun in one hand and his 1-year-old baby in the other. Then his brother snapped a pic and Gaines uploaded it to Facebook. It was the classic "Hey, look, everyone, I own a gun and I've got a baby" photograph that's popular among fathers pretty much nowhere. And now it's gotten Gaines arrested.

Police charged the 22-year-old with endangering a child. His mother-in-law had seen the photograph and apparently didn't like the implications. She called up the cops, and now Gaines is sitting behind bars at the Hamilton County jail. 

Police later found that the weapon was actually a BB gun, but that hasn't changed the minds of Cincinnati's finest. 

"It's really been blown out of proportion," Gaines's father, who speaks only in puns, told Cincinnati's Fox 19.

Gaines's attorney echoed those sentiments. He claimed the baby was never in any danger. "What had happened was he had his nephews over, as well as his daughter, they were all playing," Andy Schoenling told Cincinnati's News 5.

"He was playing with a BB gun with his nephews. His brother walked in and wanted to take a picture of him with his daughter, he incidentally happened to be holding the BB gun in the picture."

The harrowing tale provides a couple serious life lessons for other gun-happy dads across the world: Don't pose with your gun and your baby. And don't friend your mother-in-law on Facebook.

SOURCE

Georgia man guns down immigrant after GPS sends him to wrong driveway

By David Edwards
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:02 EST

Phillip Walker Sailors accused of killing Rodrigo Abad Diaz

A 69-year-old war veteran and former missionary was arrested over the weekend on the suspicion of killing a 22-year-old Cuban immigrant who mistakenly arrived in his driveway because of faulty GPS directions.

Gwinnett County jail records obtained by The Atlanta Journal Constitution indicated that Phillip Walker Sailors was charged on Sunday with the murder of Rodrigo Abad Diaz.

Friends who were in the car with Diaz told WSB-TV that they were trying to pick up a friend on the way to ice skating on Saturday but their GPS directed them to the wrong address. The friends said that they waited in the driveway for a few minutes before Sailors emerged from the house and fired a gun into the air.

Gandy Cardenas, who was in the car, recalled to WAGA that the homeowner made no effort to speak to the group before opening fire.

“He didn’t talk to them, he just started shooting,” Cardenas explained. “The first shot was in the air.”

At that point, Diaz tried to turn the car around to leave, but Sailors fired another shot, striking the immigrant on the left side of the head. The group, which included a 15 and an 18 year old, said that Sailors held them at gunpoint until police arrived.

The arrest warrant suggested that Sailors had shot Diaz with a .22 caliber pistol. He was charged with malice murder.

WSB-TV’s Tony Thomas reported that Sailors was a war veteran and a former church missionary.

Watch the video below from WAGA, broadcast Jan. 28, 2013.

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1z5Uh)

LaPierre gets owned on Fox (of all places!)

You know you're in trouble when Fox News becomes the voice of reason :-P

RSS

© 2022   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service