Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Odd, that."
2 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Sold my 1950's baseball card collection  the other day--all 3000+ cards. A dealer bought…"
7 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I see Atheists are fighting and killing each other again, over who doesn't believe in any God…"
7 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Green Gardening
"It's still cool for the time of year, but our roof garden got a good soak from a week of rain.…"
15 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You can't beat live music, and to listen to an orchestra is wonderful."
19 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"You DEMAND we open our border???!!! How about you get your case numbers down to zero first, &…"
19 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Yes Randall Chelsea have reached both the national FA Cup final and the best is they have…"
22 hours ago
"Oh you must have had a great time Ian!!! I LOVE Rhapsody In Blue!!!"
23 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"This evening the first symphony orchestra concert for months. A pleasant pot pourri of short pieces…"
23 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"This evening the first symphony orchestra concert for months. A pleasant pot pourri of short pieces…"
23 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Yes, right on point."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Green Gardening
"Rick has a few things started for the greenhouse, but it's not usually safe here until the end…"
yesterday
"Well SOMEBODY needs to have some fun!"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"So many unnecessary terms."
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Sydni Moser's group Green Gardening
"Despite the abnormally chilly temps we've been having, the garden is looking good. Asparagus…"
yesterday
Randall Smith commented on Randall Smith's group Just sports stuff.
"Chelsea in the finals! Go team go!"
yesterday
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Tracie says it SO VERY WELL."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"My Nieces lovely dog Comet went to one of his park buddies birthday party and had a smashing time.…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Stephen Brodie's group Secularism in the UK and Europe.and the connection between much of the media and the Tory establishment. NEWS
"The N and the P are clear, but I don't know who are called the Y."
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth News
"Sounds like the British voted in a bad leader as did we! I hope they find a new leader with skills…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Many if not all human societies have origin myths and they differ greatly.

Several years ago a San Francisco-born-and-raised woman told me she is a materialist.

An hour ago a woman who was raised a Jehovah Witness and has left that faith told me the Big Bang story grew from a human need for a beginning. I agreed.

Can you wholeheartedly accept that the universe had no beginning, that it has always existed?

Views: 339

Replies to This Discussion

I see no relation between any kind of universe and any kind of god, except there's evidence for the former and none for the latter.
You're right Tom, English is my third tongue. But my point is: we should keep searching for the beginning of the universe--or at least acknowledge that we currently don't have enough means to do so--instead of just declaring its (in)existence. If it keeps expanding, it must have a beginning anyway, however scary or not understandable that phenomenon sounds. Thanks for your point of correction.
Is a first language the one in which a person thinks?
If so, a language learned later has a disadvanntage: thinking requires translation.
Having no evidence for that, Alexis, I will suspend judgment.

On the other subject, Edwin Hubble doubted that red shift is evidence of distance. It's therefore doubtful that the universe is expanding.

If you have time to read, at www.newtoeu.com you can download a PDF file.
In any case, you do your third language better than I do my second.

Thanks again, Tom. I'll react after going thru the link. Great day.

I've found out you do have a case to defend, Tom. There is evidence the universe doesn't expand at all e.g. http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/science-universe-not-expanding-01... and yet evidence that it does "5 percent to 9 percent faster than expected" (https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-s-hubble-finds-unive...). See also attachment.

It's then time for those who can to (dis)prove either.

The journey may be lengthy, but I'm sure the case will be one day closed.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my Cartesian doubt instead of simply "accepting" it does(n't)!

Attachments:

How to Measure the Universe

This diagram illustrates two ways to measure how fast the universe is expanding. In the past, distant supernovae, or exploded stars, have been used as "standard candles" to measure distances in the universe, and to determine that its expansion is actually speeding up. The supernovae glow with the same intrinsic brightness, so by measuring how bright they appear on the sky, astronomers can tell how far away they are. This is similar to a standard candle appearing fainter at greater distances (left-hand illustration).

In a new survey from NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer and the Anglo-Australian Telescope atop Siding Spring Mountain in Australia, the distances to galaxies were measured using a "standard ruler" (right-hand illustration). This method is based on the preference for pairs of galaxies to be separated by a distance of 490 million light-years today. The separation appears to get smaller as the galaxies move farther away, just like a ruler of fixed length (right-hand illustration).

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Stephen, before I walk out onto tree limbs I check their strength.
Did you check the strength of the limb you are now on?

Hubble himself cautiously said "If redshift measures distance...."
Ocean water signals are like those of the cosmic microwave background.
Further, no claim made for the Bang has any evidence supporting it.

You won't accept Trump's claims without evidence.

The fact is there is expansion. Yet, it's the universe expanding the universe. Considering the very definition of "universe" then, Tom wins the case. We need to expand our understanding of the universe--everything! Congratulations Tom.

Alexis, I want evidence for "the fact is there is expansion".

I want clarification of "it's the universe expanding the universe".

And, not in the English language does a word with roots in a man-made ancient language and with synonyms in the Englsh language win the case.

:-) Alexis, what prank are you playing? :-)
Great info, Stephen.

From Starts with a Bang

Because the expansion is not just exponential but also incredibly rapid, “doubling” happens on timescale of around 10^-35 seconds. Meaning, by time 10^-34 seconds have passed, the Universe is around 1000 times its initial size; by time 10^-33 seconds have passed, the Universe is around 10^30 (or 1000^10) times its initial size; by time 10^-32 seconds have passed, the Universe is around 10^300 times its initial size, and so on. Exponential isn’t so powerful because it’s fast; it’s powerful because it’s relentless.

Now, obviously the Universe didn’t continue to expand in this fashion forever, because we’re here, and so inflation had to end, setting up the Big Bang. We can think about inflation as occurring at the top of a very flat hill, like a ball rolling slowly down it. As long as the ball remains near the top of the hill, rolling slowly, inflation continues, and the Universe expands exponentially. Once the ball rolls down into the valley, however, inflation ends, and that rolling behavior causes the energy to dissipate, converting the energy inherent to space itself into matter-and-radiation, taking us from an inflationary state into the hot Big Bang.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service