Feedback/Notes

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Christian morality is the morality of slaves. -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche Precisely. Virtually…"
8 hours ago
"Dear Joan!  Your mind is many things, but "simple is NOT one of them!  That's…"
8 hours ago
Richard Levison left a comment for Idalia Lopez
""Happy Birthday!""
9 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should…"
11 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I am way behind reading this string and I find it contains great jewels too precious to let go. I…"
12 hours ago
Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Joan, many people have trouble reading Shakespeare, because they know that there are meanings and…"
12 hours ago
"Loren, your Bertrand Russell quote, including, "The infliction of cruelty with a good…"
12 hours ago
"Stephen, I generally do not read Shakespeare  because he is too complex for my simple…"
12 hours ago
"Loren, another strong statement, " It was during recovery from her (Ruth Hurmence…"
13 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Agreed. It's just a book, & I will not live my life according to a book."
13 hours ago
"No, Joan, anything I've found doesn't seem to fit."
13 hours ago
"Loren Miller on July 13, 2021 at 6:10am you wrote:  If you're going to dignify the claim…"
13 hours ago
"Mrs.B, I like your comment, "Prayers cannot correct what it couldn't prevent." I am…"
13 hours ago
"Loren, I agree,  Something which does not exist cannot help us, but chronic dependence on…"
13 hours ago
"Loren, "Faith doesn't care whether something is actually TRUE or not." That is…"
13 hours ago
"Grinning Cat, I love your comment about women and choice and the flowchart! Thanks!"
13 hours ago
"I liked it. To the point."
21 hours ago
"Most excellent, Mrs. B!"
21 hours ago
22 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Hail smashes through car windscreens & conservatory roofs amid 30c heatwave in extreme UK…"
23 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Comments on Andrew Sullivan and His Sunday Musings about Religion

Every Sunday he gently bashes Atheisim and vaguely props up Christiianity, here are a few musings from today

Translating The Divine

Mark O'Connell explains why he's more drawn to Marilynn Robinson’s "Christian humanism" than "to the Dawkins-Dennett-Hitchens-Harris school of anti-theist fighting talk":

She makes an atheist reader like myself capable of identifying with the sense of a fallen world that is filled with pain and sadness but also suffused with divine grace. Robinson is a Calvinist, but her spiritual sensibility is richly inclusive and non-dogmatic. There’s little talk about sin or damnation in her writing, but a lot about forgiveness and tolerance and kindness. Hers is the sort of Christianity, I suppose, that Christ could probably get behind. I’ll never share her way of seeing and thinking about the world and our place in it, but her writing has shown me the value and beauty of these perspectives.

You can be an atheist and show forgiveness, tolerance and kindness to your fellow humans and other creatures.  Lacking a belief in Thor does not make you incapable of appreciating the human condition.

Quote For The Day

Thelistener04

"Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery it is. In the boredom and pain of it, no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it, because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace," - Frederick Buechner.

(Image: The Listener by Jason de Caires Taylor is assembled from casts of human ears and fitted with a hydrophone that is continually recording sounds from the reef environment. It's located in the National Marine Park of Cancun.)

It is not a fathomless mystery, it is great to be alive and learn about the universe but again getting the meaning out of life from Zeus is not a good idea.  Make your own meaning - read, learn and imagine for yourself.

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel bad for Andrew Sullivan, I cannot help but suspect that he would he a happy Christian conservative if he had not been gay.

BTW, that underwater sculpture is great! Where is it?

(Image: The Listener by Jason de Caires Taylor is assembled from casts of human ears and fitted with a hydrophone that is continually recording sounds from the reef environment. It's located in the National Marine Park of Cancun.)

Faith As Disposition, Not Ideology

Conor Williams makes the case:

The first option looks to religion for substantial political content. Call it “Ideological Religion.” People who approach politics in this way troll their sacred texts, papal encyclicals, past sermons, and other religious documents in search of specific policyAdulteresspreferences. They try, in other words, to build the content of their political convictions from the content of their faith tradition. What, they ask, does the Pope tell us about how to treat criminals? What does the Bible teach about homosexuality? Or our relationship to the environment? Or eating shellfish? Or growing facial hair? Ideological Religion reduces a faith tradition to an encyclopedia of moral information—to find out how to govern, we need only dig up the (purportedly obvious) right positions and bring them to our public arguments. Problem(s) solved, neat and clean! This is, I think, largely what [Amy] Sullivan and many other religiously-minded leftists have in mind when they talk about resuscitating the Social Gospel tradition, etc.

The second option takes religion as a stance for approaching the world. Call it “Dispositional Religion” (an ugly term that I’d happily replace—suggestions?). Instead of looking to their faith for crisp ideological positions, people who approach politics in this way ask a different set of questions: How should a person of faith understand urban poverty? Or God’s Creation? Or the facts of human sexuality? They do not expect that religion provides specific and conclusive solutions to political problems, but they shape their attitude towards human social life in reference to their faith.

lol

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service