Thumbnail

My all time favorite movie!

"My favorite movie is The Lathe of Heaven."
57 minutes ago
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Jumbled is the way I read it."
4 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"I dared, for the first and last time in my life, to express a theological conclusion: "But how…"
11 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"Using that one, Ian! For when I'm older..."
12 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
"Yeah, those pesky numbers."
14 hours ago
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group AGING ATHEISTS
14 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian posted a photo

My all time favorite movie!

The movie Avatar expresses itself well from the movie made in 1972.A year before the prophet Rael…
17 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Sally
""Happy Birthday!""
17 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"A lot of huge work! Good photo though."
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Found this picture of the early days of the Tube system at Charing Cross. I just thought you might…"
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Of course, that's the way that works."
yesterday
"Exactly. It's the only sensible way to go! When we got the vaccines as children in the…"
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I've just finished re-reading Stephen King's '11-23-63' and found out that…"
yesterday
"Good one Ian, just right."
yesterday
"I enjoy the live cams....I'll have to keep the link, thanks."
yesterday
Ian Mason commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
yesterday
"I think I would maybe have said hello, & not made any other comment to start with."
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Agreed."
yesterday
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"I'm all for taking a positive view of rain and of many other things, but if I MUST I'll…"
yesterday
Mrs.B commented on Neil Weightman's group Atheist Cat Servants
"Cat Rules of Hampering If one of your humans is engaged in some close activity and the other is…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Anyone else noticed this? So a little backstory, I've got autism and I was raped at 6 so I've been some shit. I currently live with my mom, dad, and sister who are all Christian. Whenever I've talked about my trauma or the fact I'm sad I've not had many friends bc of my autism, they bring up god. One time I and my sister were watching breakfast club and I said I was sad that (we graduate at 15 so high school is done for me btw) I never had the high school experiences bc I'm fat and autistic. And she said, "maybe you start living according to god instead of the world". Another time when I was about 12 I walked by the school it happened (we still live near) and it felt like a knife got dug into my stomach as I walked by and I had to go home. I met my mom on the walk back and I said no therapy has even worked and she went in like she'd been waiting to say it "the only god can really heal you." It feel evil, that because I'm in a vulnerable situation and they can think about their cunt of a god. And many testimonies will tell of prostitutes, drug addicts, abused people, etc that "meet Jesus", but really they only really meet Christians who helped them which is good and all. But if you're in a shit situation, and you meet someone telling you can heal and all that if you just believe and there's a creator that cares for you, you're gonna feel like you've found something that will help you. I don't think it's a coincidence that most AA meetings are funded by Christians. They see a group of people in need and use their need to convert. It feels like grooming. 

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's no way I can understand what you've gone through and there's no way I can offer any glib solutions. The only thing I can say is I feel for your suffering and I wish I could help. All the best. Stephen.

Feels like grooming, though it's more like just ongoing indoctrination for you and reinforcement of their beliefs for them.  That you've seen through it and don't buy their snake oil will only tick them off more, of course.

The thing to keep in mind is that you CAN talk here, all you want.  Two ears, no waiting!

That sucks!  Grooming is more  tolerable if it isn't the sexual kind.  Remember; from their perspective they believe they are actually helping you.  Usually an enormous lack of empathy is involved though. Their morals are determined outside of the realm of empathy.. instead, some old book determines what they think is right and wrong.  We should feel lucky they don't burn people alive at the stake for being gay, or burping too loud, etc. anymore. :)

I read an article about Xtian grooming in the military to people suffering from combat PTSD.  Many people in the US armed forces are confused why this country has a barrier (to some degree) between Church and State.  They want a theocracy- and are often Orwell fans, no less.   Somehow the quotes of his like “A totalitarian state is in effect a theocracy" are in one ear and out the other.

Community is important, and we are fortunate that we can have virtual communities now.  I live in a fundamentalist Christian town now, so I need internet interactions with relatively sane people. That is why I am VERY glad I finally found this site.  I hang out on /r/atheism /r/chomsky on reddit sometimes too. (the latter is political. I'm not here to sell my politics really).

Thanks for sharing. You'll have an attentive audience here, who don't drink the Kool-Aid. It's critical to have a support community for your atheism, not just for autism. Vent all you like.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service