Feedback and Notes

No Gods or Scumps Allowed

Latest Activity

Mrs.B commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"It is."
7 hours ago
Stephen commented on Doone's group World History before that Racist, Misogynistic, Dishonest, Self-Obsessed, Corrupt, Narcissistic, Bullying, Petulant, Arrogant, Incompetent, Spiteful, Unhinged Moron Cockwomble Took Power
"The real Peter the Wild Boy I had heard of wild Peter before."
8 hours ago
Stephen commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"You felt ridiculous because it is ridiculous. Calling people your majesty and your highness in the…"
8 hours ago
"I remember in my young school days, dancing the Maypole for the annual May Day celebrations, &…"
8 hours ago
"I hope you are right Mrs B but I have my doubts. Besides the majority of the British people are…"
9 hours ago
"I do think they are making changes, & that's a positive, & who knows how far it will…"
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
"I hardly think they gave up much. The Duchy of Lancaster will still be supporting them to the tune…"
10 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a Racist, Misogynistic, Dishonest, Self-Obsessed, Corrupt, Narcissistic, Bullying, Petulant, Arrogant, Incompetent, Spiteful, Unhinged Moron, Impeached, Cockwomble News
"Hmmmmm....are ya sure it's parody? "
12 hours ago
Doone commented on Doone's group Humans of Earth and a Racist, Misogynistic, Dishonest, Self-Obsessed, Corrupt, Narcissistic, Bullying, Petulant, Arrogant, Incompetent, Spiteful, Unhinged Moron, Impeached, Cockwomble News
"Not so Serious Scump Parody Twitter Account On the way to Texas! BEFORE I was president, when…"
13 hours ago
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please! Looking better in 2020!
"#Horus, #Mithra, #Krishna, #Dionysus, #Jesus Not sure about the complete historical accuracy of…"
13 hours ago
Doone commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion, Please! Looking better in 2020!
"#Horus, #Mithra, #Krishna, #Dionysus, #Jesus Not sure about the complete historical accuracy of…"
13 hours ago
"They did give up the ''highness'' bit, & will repay the expense of reno-ing…"
14 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Doone's group World History before that Racist, Misogynistic, Dishonest, Self-Obsessed, Corrupt, Narcissistic, Bullying, Petulant, Arrogant, Incompetent, Spiteful, Unhinged Moron Cockwomble Took Power
"Spoiled pissy little brat."
14 hours ago
Doone commented on Adriana's group Freethought and Funny Bones
"Not bat shit crazy was a liked by me comment."
16 hours ago
"New Rule: Your Not-So-Highness"
17 hours ago
"Ziggy Beethoven "
18 hours ago
18 hours ago
Davy commented on Michel's group The Daily Cosmos or Interesting Facts about the Universe
"I was reading what one of the thinkers of the Age of Enlightenment was saying about art and he said…"
21 hours ago
Davy commented on Doone's group World History before that Racist, Misogynistic, Dishonest, Self-Obsessed, Corrupt, Narcissistic, Bullying, Petulant, Arrogant, Incompetent, Spiteful, Unhinged Moron Cockwomble Took Power
"Mrs. B Have to agree with you on that point. "
21 hours ago

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

Ayn Rand U? Rich Conservatives -- Not Just the Kochs -- Buying Up Professors and Influence on Campus

Money wins every time.

Conservative activists have a good-cop, bad-cop approach to the university. In either case, the same right-wing foundations pay the bill.

These days, rich conservatives want a lot more than their names on university buildings in exchange for big donations. The Koch brothers recently endowed two economics professorships at Florida State University in exchange for a say over faculty hires. Banker John Allison, long-time head of BB&T, has donated to 60 universities in exchange for their agreeing to teach Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged--some agreements even include the outrageous stipulation that the professor teaching the course “have a positive interest in and be well versed in Objectivism.”

The economic crisis has opened American universities to ever more brazen--and at times decidedly strange--attacks on the hallowed principle of academic freedom. Conservative efforts to shape hearts and minds on campus, however, are far from new. Like anything in a capitalist society, academia is a place where people with money fight for power, and take their advantage where they can. Indeed, the effort to mold higher education--which the Right has long caricatured as a hotbed of revolutionary agitation--in the image of the establishment has been central to the rise of modern conservatism.

“Conservatives have been funding such efforts for a while, but usually fairly quietly and without the rough touch of the Koch brothers,” says David Farber, a professor of history at Temple University and author of The Rise and Fall of Modern American Conservatism.

Article.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This has been going on for a while. It is absolutely disgraceful. And dangerous.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service