Latest Activity

Chris B commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"Great quote!"
1 hour ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Well I guess that is rocket science....hahahahahaha"
2 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Boris Johnson struggles with umbrella at police memorial unveiling I'm almost 100% certain…"
5 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Bring me my barf bucket please."
6 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
"Oh, SWELL ... [smh!]"
6 hours ago
Stephen Brodie commented on Hope's group Imagine No Organized Religion
""I work at a hotel and got this review from a guest who was here to record a Christian…"
9 hours ago
Mrs.B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Been a subscriber for years, & have also posted some of his videos."
11 hours ago
"Hey Loren I've been clued into Trae Crowder, the Liberal Redneck for years…"
16 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Hey, gang.  Sorry to break in on the discussion, but I thought this was worth your…"
18 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's group Quote Of The Day
"No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity. -- Maajid Nawaz, Islam and the Future…"
19 hours ago
Chris B commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Thanks all! Luca sends love - she's the woman in the dark dress."
yesterday
Grinning Cat commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Chris, that's great news! I hope everything goes well for Luca!"
yesterday
Joan Denoo commented on Sydni Moser's group Coffee Break
"Rape in the third degree. (1) A person is guilty of rape in the third degree when, under…"
yesterday
"Rape in the second degree. *** CHANGE IN 2021 *** (SEE 5177.SL) *** (1) A person is guilty of rape…"
yesterday
"Rape in the first degree. (1) A person is guilty of rape in the first degree when such person…"
yesterday
"Rape as defined WA State Law  Nowhere is gender indicated in these…"
yesterday
"That's great news  Chris B please give Luca my best wishes."
yesterday
" Chris B you and your friends have found a lovely shaded and sun-speckled wood."
yesterday
"I think it's a pigeon just photographed at an awkward angle but…"
yesterday
Stephen Brodie commented on Richard Levison's photo
Thumbnail

Raelian Wisdom!

"Nobody here on AU would demand you take your post down. But I can't help but see in both the…"
yesterday

We are a worldwide social network of freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists.

This is pure semantic sophistry.

An atheist says: I do not believe in -god-.

Therefore: it is a denial of something which is defined as existing. By not believing in what believers believe.

Personally the definition of -free thinker- might be more appropriate. Nothing to deny for starters.

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"accept the idea of god." Well, let me think about that. I accept the idea of Athena, Diana, and The Triple Goddesses; they all are "Wisdom Goddesses." Now, where does that leave me? 

The ancient pagan gods and goddesses are no better at empowering me to think critically than YHWH,  Frigg, Jupiter, Zeus, Nuit, the christian god, Allah, Apollo, Helios, or Ra.

If I have a broken leg, none of these god/goddesses help me, except, perhaps, help me retain my calm as I go to the doctor. 

If I sit with a dying son, I am not comforted by promises any religions offer me. 

If I observe my great-grandchild struggling with an illness, the resource I seek comes from science, not faith. 

If I believe in god - any god - my tomatoes do not grow more productively. I am able and willing to learn how to prepare the soil for tomato seeds that I start in April and set outside in June that give me what I want and need. 

Putting my belief in something by faith offers little satisfactory consequences and comfort. 

Comfort comes from those around me who love me and whom I love. They are necessary and sufficient to meet my longing. A community does not just happen. It requires time and effort and commitment. 

To me, "free-thinker" exists as another word for atheist. Personally, I refer to myself as an atheist because "Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods."

~ American Atheist, 

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

RSS

© 2021   Created by Atheist Universe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service